What are you working on today?

Diagnosed a no-start on a '97 Sidekick 1.8. I'm pretty sure timing chains are supposed to be a continuous loop?
20221118_140850.jpg

Yesterday I replaced the belt tensioner assembly for the second time in two weeks on my fiancé's 94 Cavalier with the 2.2L.

Two weeks ago we get back from vacation and took the car to the store. It was making a loud knocking sound and it sounded like it was coming from under the valve cover. Used my mechanics stethoscope on it and determined that the noise was not coming from under the valve cover but somewhere near the power steering pump. This pump has been leaking since she got the car in 2014 but it wasn't enough to change it. I would just have to put fluid in it periodically.

I pulled the serpentine belt off and ran the car and the knocking noise went away. I figured the pump was shot since it had some noise when you spun the pulley by hand so I ordered a new one and ordered a new tensioner since the spring-loaded part was not working correctly.

Got the new parts on, flushed and bled the PS pump and went for a test drive. I got a few yards down the street and I hear a slapping sound under the hood. Open the hood and the belt is part way off the PS pulley and the edge of the belt was stripped off. I'm 100% positive I had the belt on correctly. I did notice that the spring-loaded part of the new tensioner was slightly crooked.

I get a new belt and put it on making sure it was on all pulleys. I take it on a 10 mile drive and no problems. The next day I go to town about two miles away and hear the slapping sound again. Same thing. Belt was part way off PS pulley and belt edge is stripped off. The tensioner was definitely at an angle and the remainder of the belt would not stay on so I had to trailer the car home.

The parts store warrantied the belt and the tensioner and I got it installed yesterday. New tensioner is straight and she took the car into town with no issues. She is leery of driving it 30 miles to work so she will drive it on short trips for a while to see how it does.

Replacing the tensioner is not fun on this car since you have to also remove the power steering pump and alternator and there is no room between the engine and side of the engine compartment. The PS pump bolts also have to be removed and installed through the pulley.

A bad aftermarket part definitely caused a lot of trouble and extra work.

Attempted to 3D print an adapter pocket to mount some hella FF50 halogens in place of the cracked/broken ford oem decorator fog lights. The FF50s have a decent focus and can throw some decent spots down range, and use real glass up front. May attempt to test fit tomorrow if I can. its my first “real attempt” to 3D print a car part. The adapter *should* preserve the oem vertical aiming screw.

one of the printers at work jammed when refilling while I was using it, so I learned how to dismantle the head and coax debris out of it. Finicky thing it is…. It will be much easier the next time I have to do it, today it took me, over 2 very careful hours.

View attachment 126907
I had the first of my CDL training sessions today
Considering I've never driven anything this size before, or air brakes before, I'm told I did pretty good 😊

45 minutes of pre trip inspection, it was only a balmy 30° out this morning 🥶

Yep you'd never forget your first CDL truck. Learned on a single axle International tractor w/ a 40' tandem axle trailer.

IMG_0015.JPG

Random Pre-trip A stuff. Cummins M11 oil burner. Some guys get confused between the A/C Compressor and Air Compressor. One is belt driven, other is gear driven.
IMG_0067.JPG

Found out some ECU's are diesel cooled. It was a head scratcher seeing fuel lines running to the ECU but it runs to a back plate acting as a heatsink. Weird M11 things.
IMG_0065.JPG

What year and mileage is your Sonata being it needed the timing chain job?

I believe it was a 2009 or 10 with 217k. The car was 1 owner, and looked like it had no more than 100k on it. The engine looked spotless internally, the single roller timing chain just stretched over time to the point it exceeded the tensioners mechanical limit.

Replacing the floor in the kitchen and the joists... not a fun job! Weird spacing I need to correct I didn't catch till the third one. 17-20oc's but with the board size should be 16s. Ugh normal for this house. Not fun not having a kitchen either the wife is not liking it!

Putting .031" grooves in 1/4" stainless shafts. About .020" deep on a side

Attachments

• 20221120_080913.jpg
    20221120_080913.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 10
Yep you'd never forget your first CDL truck. Learned on a single axle International tractor w/ a 40' tandem axle trailer.

View attachment 126945

Random Pre-trip A stuff. Cummins M11 oil burner. Some guys get confused between the A/C Compressor and Air Compressor. One is belt driven, other is gear driven.
View attachment 126947

Found out some ECU's are diesel cooled. It was a head scratcher seeing fuel lines running to the ECU but it runs to a back plate acting as a heatsink. Weird M11 things.
View attachment 126946

Those M11s are tough and just about impossible to kill.

Those M11s are tough and just about impossible to kill.
Today I learned parallel parking 🅿️
The controls are (compared to a car) sloppy and imprecise
Air brakes have little to no feel, and your expected to make precision outputs with crude inputs
But I'm getting used to it
PXL_20221120_155947245.jpg

The amount of play in the steering is gonna be the biggest adjustment, literally any car feels like new after tossing this thing around in the dirt
I also bothered to learn what that truck is
2014 International Durastar, with a Maxxforce DT270/Allison 3000HS
And a 20' box
It's somewhat similar to what my work would expect me to drive, except the work truck is a 25' box, and hydraulic brakes
Next weekend, I have to do my own 45 minute pre trip, more parking maneuvers, then maybe I'll go out on the road 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 126945

View attachment 126947

View attachment 126946
Diesel cooled ECU?
Wonder if that's where GM/BMW got the idea for coolant fed alternators 😭

Finishing a fun little project. Good friend's 91 year old Dad drove our Boxster, then said he would like to get back into a manual transmission for as long as he still can. He had sold his Z3 a few years ago due to some health issues. He is a great guy; veteran, boater, private pilot and still sharp for 91. Few of us started looking as soon as we heard that.

Friend located a higher mileage, slightly neglected but solid Boxster and we made it a group effort to get this done asap and get him and the car to Florida. I volunteered the barn space. I will also say it is a testament to Porsche how easy these vehicles are to sort out.

Down to prettying up the faded trim, then the nicks on the nose;
AMDB.jpg

Added some coolant to the Subaru, grabbed 10 gallons of "heating oil", and tinkered with the lawn equipment.

Mowers got treated non-ethanol fuel and I ran them to get it through the system. Got the snow blower out and drained the E10 gas that I left in there since last December. Put some fresh fuel in it and it grumbled to life. So, now it won't snow! 😁

uMAJrUV.jpg

Success! installed hella FF50s in the f150 with adapters designed and 3D printed using the printer in the office. learned a lot in the process.

1. Calipers for getting exact measurements would be helpful. I missed by a mm or two in the draft version.

2. Tension-strength on 3D printer parts is not consistent. Future prints would recommend more support in the high-low adjustment arm.

3. one of the printers jammed its print head. it took me a couple hours to clear it, but next time should be a quarter of the time.

there’s a lot more forward light out of these than the oem fogs.

Attachments

• F1C59BBF-38BF-4552-A388-A156D0C11DF8.jpeg
    F1C59BBF-38BF-4552-A388-A156D0C11DF8.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 8FA5DD0F-7F63-4147-8BAE-8750E6D32D98.jpeg
    8FA5DD0F-7F63-4147-8BAE-8750E6D32D98.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 7
  • E3D4C4AC-8A27-4840-A830-AC7FDA9DF4CC.jpeg
    E3D4C4AC-8A27-4840-A830-AC7FDA9DF4CC.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 7
today I am working on a front tine tiller that was advertised on facebook as free. Just a couple miles down the road from me. tiller ok, but the Kawasaki rngine not running. narrowed it down to carburetor. took it off and lots of goop in tank, Had to order new gasket though. Will fix up and paint up and sell in spring.

Decent start to the week:

4 wheel pads/rotors on a '11 X3, all Textar parts
LF CV axle on a Honda Fit
Heater hoses on a '10 Caravan, replaced the OE with the Dorman units with the aluminum tee's
Couple easy diag's

Back