What are you working on today?

Replaced the drain piping for the bathroom sink. Old cast Pipe was porous in a couple of spots and I had to snake this drain monthly, and seeing this confirmed what I suspected. The hub in the main trunk was blocked just as much as the pipe. Had to clean that out also. I replaced my tub drain a while back and it was the same way. Except that was completely blocked and couldn’t snake it. Those that have done it you know getting the pipe, lead and oakum out of those hubs is always fun. And the trap is under the sink upstairs, which is why I didn’t make one (original didn’t have one either).

Attachments

• 46A47EB7-7AC3-424E-AAB2-354198AE9DE7.jpeg
    46A47EB7-7AC3-424E-AAB2-354198AE9DE7.jpeg
    333.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 2160C1CD-FC9A-49CC-9EB1-030B6C999442.jpeg
    2160C1CD-FC9A-49CC-9EB1-030B6C999442.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 25
  • D1993EAF-207B-4D02-9822-2108CC9A88F1.jpeg
    D1993EAF-207B-4D02-9822-2108CC9A88F1.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 9DEA8A9C-A58A-4D19-AC8B-BB60F2F994FD.jpeg
    9DEA8A9C-A58A-4D19-AC8B-BB60F2F994FD.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 28
  • B3EC12F1-FD19-46A8-ADFC-09ACA418FE55.jpeg
    B3EC12F1-FD19-46A8-ADFC-09ACA418FE55.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 24
  • D270AF09-0700-422D-A54A-DCBA5232DE93.jpeg
    D270AF09-0700-422D-A54A-DCBA5232DE93.jpeg
    300.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Wednesday
1998 GMC Jimmy 4.3 Vortec V6
Helped my neighbor do intake gaskets and a water pump. Flushed the block and radiator while it was apart. Also replaced water pump bypass hose, thermostat, radiator cap and distributor cap/rotor button

We fired our AM tire tech at 830, and our closing tire tech called in because his dog broke it's leg, allegedly. Guess who stepped up?

Here I am, an ASE certified technician with 20 years under my belt doing winter tire swaps, rotates, and patches for 3/4 of my day. I was a little rusty at first, I accidentally mounted 2 tires inside out (caught my mistake, though) and snapped a TPM sensor breaking a bead (forgot to rotate the valve stem 180), but otherwise things went smooth.

In between tires, I managed to get my Sonata timing chain job torn down. The chain tensioner was completely maxed out and the cams were off almost 3 teeth, but it survived. New OEM chain, guides, and tensioner along with corresponding sealer and gaskets and it should be good for another 217k miles.

Changed the generic coils to NGKs in the Escape. That was probably a waste of time and money. Needs new tube seals. Only one of the fronts had oil on it but all the backs did. Actually there was a lot of oil in the intake also 🤔 Have a spring project sounds like. Almost should pull the engine and reseal the whole darn thing. Hopefully the new coils fix the misfires for a while.

Thursday
Helping a friend install a carbureted LT1 383 stroker Chevy in his 1978 Chevy C10. Should be firing it off tomorrow.

Got the Sonata mostly buttoned up, only thing left is installing the valve cover. Turns out, there's 3 different options for VC gaskets for this engine, 2 of which I had on the shelf waiting. Unfortunately, this car needs the 3rd (and most difficult to source) 3rd option, so tomorrow it is.

Aside from that, it was a lot of alignments and nonsense. I did manage to get my sister in finally to install her new Toyo Observe snow tires, which took one more family vehicle off my plate. Only one left is the GF's Kia Spectra that I'll be spending half my Saturday off replacing the tires, belts (including timing), steering column and RR window due to an attempted theft.

Baselining the maintenance on Astrid.

She’s a 1991 Volvo 240 I purchased in San Antonio and drove 2,080 miles home last week.

Crankshaft Position Sensor replacement. Cleaning and waxing the engine compartment.

The socket in the second picture is a Ko-ken nut grip socket. They will change your life.

Attachments

• 1DB0A10D-4BA2-4AC3-A1BA-257D2AC97223.jpeg
    1DB0A10D-4BA2-4AC3-A1BA-257D2AC97223.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 22
We fired our AM tire tech at 830, and our closing tire tech called in because his dog broke it's leg, allegedly. Guess who stepped up?

Here I am, an ASE certified technician with 20 years under my belt doing winter tire swaps, rotates, and patches for 3/4 of my day. I was a little rusty at first, I accidentally mounted 2 tires inside out (caught my mistake, though) and snapped a TPM sensor breaking a bead (forgot to rotate the valve stem 180), but otherwise things went smooth.

In between tires, I managed to get my Sonata timing chain job torn down. The chain tensioner was completely maxed out and the cams were off almost 3 teeth, but it survived. New OEM chain, guides, and tensioner along with corresponding sealer and gaskets and it should be good for another 217k miles.
You did it all wrong. You're supposed to tear a couple beads, snap at least 7 TPMS sensors and severely scratch several aluminum wheels.

Guess who they'll never ask to to work tires again.....

PXL_20221117_163210171.jpg

My phone holder/wireless charger fell off on my work Jeep
Now I can't see where I'm going 😭
And the 3M pads won't stick because winter has finally arrived and it's too cold 🥶
PXL_20221116_193333293.jpg

And the sunroof is leaking on the Fusion 😭
It can either operate or not leak, it cannot do both simultaneously 🙄
I ordered some string trimmer line, just to verify the front drains are draining

My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined 😔

Baselining the maintenance on Astrid.

She’s a 1991 Volvo 240 I purchased in San Antonio and drove 2,080 miles home last week.

Crankshaft Position Sensor replacement. Cleaning and waxing the engine compartment.

The socket in the second picture is a Ko-ken nut grip socket. They will change your life.
For a second I thought that front plate mount was a roller fairlead. Coolest Volvo EVAR if so.....but alas I was mistaken

You did it all wrong. You're supposed to tear a couple beads, snap at least 7 TPMS sensors and severely scratch several aluminum wheels.

You forgot to snap/strip several studs, and just leave the lugs on hand loose

That's how you do a quality job 👍

You forgot to snap/strip several studs, and just leave the lugs on hand loose

That's how you do a quality job 👍

You guys are killing me!

If it's any consolation, while replacing the tires on my Jeep I did destroy an inner bead while trying to break it loose. The aftermarket wheels had a vice grip on the tires, and my spoon just couldn't get it to let go. I ended up doing the remaining 3 tires on my fancy machine that uses the rotating cone style bead breaker. Even then it was a chore.

As if the dismount wasn't enough, I had to use a Cheetah Blaster to get the new tires to seat. 245's on a 9" rim is tricky, but I couldn't go any wider without rubbing.

Today I finally got my daily driver, '96 Maxima back on the road. Exhaust has been leaking for some time, but a few days ago it fell apart, heard an obnoxious vibration and rattling from the rear end. Parked it and finally had time this evening to work on it. Flange at the muffler rotted out completely and both pipes broke free.

I was able to ditch the flange and the pipes were in good enough condition to weld back together. While trying to drop the muffler, one of the hanger bolts snapped off, that was fun-- tried drilling the bolt and using a reverse twist drill bit, which was in vain. Ended up drilling through the bolt and tapping for a new fastener which worked fine.

I was in such a hurry (28 degrees out and sun gone down) that I didn't get photos after the welding job but it came out good enough, quiet as a mouse now. I won't use gasless flux-core wire on exhaust anymore, this was my first time-- I was too lazy/in a hurry to change out the wire and hook shielding gas up. Regular MIG wire with gas welds a whole lot smoother with less frustration.

Attachments

• IMG_4152.jpg
    IMG_4152.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4153.jpg
    IMG_4153.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4156.jpg
    IMG_4156.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4157.jpg
    IMG_4157.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 14

What year and mileage is your Sonata being it needed the timing chain job?

Back