What are you working on today?

Finally got to take out regular intake manifold for 3 stage intake manifold. BMW had 3 versions of N52B30 engines, 325 and 328 with one stage manifold and 330 with 3 stage manifold. 3 stage was common in X3, X5, Z4, obviously 330, and many European models.
My 328 numbers are 230hp at 6,500rpm and 200lb-ft at 2,750rpm.
I already installed 330 tune (can run on both manifolds) 2 months ago and that makes car bit more responsive. With manifold, numbers are 255-260hp at 6,600rpm and 221lb-ft between 2,500 and 4,000rpm.
The car feels stronger up to 4,000rpm, but after, it is like dog chasing rabbit. Definitely more push and bit better sound (3 stage has two variable valves that create vacuum and redirect air). Also, while I was at it I changed all 4 O2 sensors (Bosch). Car actually feels smoother at idle.
Old manifold on the left. You can notice new one has hole for big variable valve (DISA valve). On other side is smaller hole for small DISA. These 325/328 already come with wiring for DISA.
772CCFEE-FE2F-4D2D-93EE-66EB4059FAAB.jpeg

AF08B934-B02A-498A-A8E6-79D17EAB78E5.jpeg

New upper stream O2 sensors. They were more hassle than lower ones. Did not expect that.
3C3A7578-B8EE-4FF3-8B2B-58BD5240ADBE.jpeg

DISA valves outside. This was checking them using BMW diagnostic software:

407B8AF4-05B4-42F6-A014-5DECA60604BA.jpeg

DISA inside manifold:

00E1FA57-7052-495B-A266-9B6D9FA899E7.jpeg

Last edited:
Today was kind of boring and interesting somewhat lol. Not really much going on or scheduled tomorrow or today. Today done tons of state inspections with other state inspectors as I can’t do them on my own cause I can’t write the sticker quite yet. When we got to work this morning the bosses gathered us in a circle then began going on about the tool trucks. Now each tech is limited to 15 minutes on the tool truck one time per visit and only two people from the shop at a time. They said you can’t be gone on there when we need you here. I didn’t say anything I’m just like I’ll do what I do if it takes me more than 15 minutes then I’ll tell them like I have before I need tools to do my job with and where I pretty much provide for my newbies then I need extra time. The problem is all the hourly oil guys were disappearing for 1 or more hours at a time and cars would pile up with waiting customers. They also need to understand sometimes their is a line or a problem and you can’t be on or off in 15 minutes or less.

Then there was one of our rental cars towed in off the interstate. It’s been missing for a week. The state police called us saying there is a maroon Kia Optima registered to this dealership sitting on the side of exit 1 on Interstate 77 in Lamsburg Virginia. It’s been sitting there a week is what they said. The renter rented it for a week and never returned it. That was 2 weeks ago. My dealership sent our tow truck to go get it and it was still full of belongings and the keys were in it. Tried calling the customer who still hadn’t picked their car up that they were having worked on and the number said it was no longer in service so the whole thing is a mystery. The state police took the things out of the car there was nothing suspicious in there and no identification or anything either mainly just clothes and travel stuff and trash and personal things. They towed the car in, the car was searched and then brought to me to check it over for any signs of mechanical failure. The tracking device was dead on it. That does happen the batteries die and probably where it was sitting there a week made the batteries in the device die. I do hope the people come get their car and pay for the rental for the other week that it sat. That was a good 50 or 60 miles from my dealership. We are right off of Interstate 81 and Interstate 77 meets and interchanges about 50 miles from my dealership. One way takes you to 77 towards West Virginia and then the other way keeps you on 81 south going towards Bristol Virginia.

Finally got to take out regular intake manifold for 3 stage intake manifold. BMW had 3 versions of N52B30 engines, 325 and 328 with one stage manifold and 330 with 3 stage manifold. 3 stage was common in X3, X5, Z4, obviously 330, and many European models.
My 328 numbers are 230hp at 6,500rpm and 200lb-ft at 2,750rpm.
I already installed 330 tune (can run on both manifolds) 2 months ago and that makes car bit more responsive. With manifold, numbers are 255-260hp at 6,600rpm and 221lb-ft between 2,500 and 4,000rpm.
The car feels stronger up to 4,000rpm, but after, it is like dog chasing rabbit. Definitely more push and bit better sound (3 stage has two variable valves that create vacuum and redirect air). Also, while I was at it I changed all 4 O2 sensors (Bosch). Car actually feels smoother at idle.
Old manifold on the left. You can notice new one has hole for big variable valve (DISA valve). On other side is smaller hole for small DISA. These 325/328 already come with wiring for DISA.
View attachment 106017
View attachment 106018

New upper stream O2 sensors. They were more hassle than lower ones. Did not expect that.
View attachment 106022

DISA valves outside. This was checking them using BMW diagnostic software:

View attachment 106020

DISA inside manifold:

View attachment 106021
It’s been a while since I worked on a bimmer, and they were older than yours. You seem quite comfortable working your way through them. Is it true with these too, that once you’ve been into it a few times, it gets easier and quicker?

It’s been a while since I worked on a bimmer, and they were older than yours. You seem quite comfortable working your way through them. Is it true with these too, that once you’ve been into it a few times, it gets easier and quicker?
It is not big deal. Like all cars, there is learning curve. Water pump on xDrive can take some time but then, it was less frustrating than master cylinder on Sienna.
That being said, bcs. BMW is all about weight distribution anything related to front differential, oil pan, is major PITA. Axle from front differential goes through oil pan. There is though upside, it serves as baffle on track.

However, definitely more labor intensive than M50 or M54 engines.

Wednesday diagnosed a bad head gasket on a 1995 GMC Yukon, started that job that day. Got the heads to the machine shop Thursday morning, came back to the shop to turn front rotors and replace front pads, oil change and air filter on a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica. Today I helped a neighbor replaced the fuel pump on his sons 2001 GMC Sierra work truck. Changed the fuel filter and the engine oil while it was down for repair.

Reactions: GON
Can’t drive the Prius - got a rental from Hertz yesterday. 2021 RAV4 LE, cars in kinda beat shape but I popped the hood and did a fluid check. It’s getting the $10 Kaady special and a tank of cheap gas when I return it.

Coolant was low, in went Prestone Cor-Guard premix. Not my car, but it’s better than a hack quick lube or Firestone will do for a Hertz Local Edition, which aren’t maintained at the airport locations. Oil’s OK. I do have a stash of 0W-16 Castrol Edge I got on AutoZone clearance for things like this.

Last edited:
Yesterday I popped the rear lateral arms off my ‘99 Camry, just to make sure they would come off. They do. So now I can order up replacements, and struts, and redo that suspension.

Today I tried to remove the strut on our ‘03 CRV, before I order up struts; no go. Tie rod is stuck in place and I’m worried I’ll destroy it. So it will go to a shop instead for struts.

Finally got my popup camper de-winterized. Managed to break the license plate bracket off from the taillight again, decided I'm not replacing the taillight again that leaves the license plate hanging out where it gets snagged by the tarp or me if I'm ducking under it. Got a new lighted license bracket and got it mounted so the plate is up out of the way now. Got the camper cleaned up and the water tank flushed out, ready for camping again.
licenslight.jpg

I put new tie rod ends on the Camaro and clearanced the lower control arms on the front to give the Strange drag rotors a little more room. They were only clearing by ~.010" which made me uncomfortable. I opened that up to .050". I mounted the tires all around and ballparked the alignment. I installed the dash and started on the shifter bracket. Soon, it'll be ready for the engine and trans to go in.

I took Project Milan down for the afternoon for some maintenance
@ 5300 miles and 24% OLM, it's time for a change
In went PP 5w30 and a 910s
Tightened some loose screws on the bumper plastics, and reinstated the whole under engine splash shield
Installed a missing bolt on the Cluster bezel
Swapped the cabin filter
Took for a wash and vacuum 🧽
Topped off ⛽
Aren't I just the best brother ever 😬
She's taking it on a big trip down to her BFs family cabin in PA
When she did this last year, her car didn't return (RIP Taurus)
Hopefully this time things go better 🤞
PXL_20220702_214952094.jpg

PXL_20220702_215539345.jpg

PXL_20220702_221546468.jpg

PXL_20220702_222153915.jpg

Replaced the non-replaceable, rechargeable batteries in the BMW X3 key fobs. When the rechargeable battery goes bad, the remote loses range and eventually stops working.
You have to cut the fob open, de-solder the battery, solder the new one in, glue the case back together, then redo the pairing in the car for all the fobs you have. If you only pair one fob, the others won't work anymore.
Worked great with Malaysian made Panasonic batteries from Woman Warrior Mart.
BMW wants $300 each for new fobs/keys and $60 to pair the fobs back to the car.
Took maybe 45 minutes and $20 for batteries.
It's all silly since the new fobs you just replace the battery like any other car.

I had a new to me 2010 Hyundai Tucson in for recall service. One was a software update to change the knock detection logic and the other was a possible charcoal canister replacement (mine didn’t need it).

I also washed it yesterday and found a few small rust spots so will want to do something about that.

I helped my dad wash his 2010 Nissan Frontier - it hadn’t been done for over a year so took well over an hour. The paint is starting to show age - a number of chips and there are some spots on the roof where mildew has damaged the paint. It also needs new door window weatherstripping.

Can’t drive the Prius - got a rental from Hertz yesterday. 2021 RAV4 LE, cars in kinda beat shape but I popped the hood and did a fluid check. It’s getting the $10 Kaady special and a tank of cheap gas when I return it.

Coolant was low, in went Prestone Cor-Guard premix. Not my car, but it’s better than a hack quick lube or Firestone will do for a Hertz Local Edition, which aren’t maintained at the airport locations. Oil’s OK. I do have a stash of 0W-16 Castrol Edge I got on AutoZone clearance for things like this.
Please let me know where you find "cheap" gas! :ROFLMAO:
Yep, it seams the rentals never have windshield washer fluid either. And the rental agreements do state we're responsible for adding oil if low.

Please let me know where you find "cheap" gas! :ROFLMAO:
Yep, it seams the rentals never have windshield washer fluid either. And the rental agreements do state we're responsible for adding oil if low.
Mine has just water. I added in 1/2 gallon of whatever swill Walmart has. Usually, it’s a 303 tablet or Einzsett and distilled water but there’s a shortage of bottled distilled water. I’m going to Whole Wallet with 2 water jugs to get some DI water. $.50/gallon.

Back