What are you working on today?

Today I replaced inner and outer tie rod ends, idler arm and pitman arm on a 1996 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2wd. Got a 1991 F-150 dropped off that needs intake gaskets and a radiator. I don't really want to start on it until I get the heads back for the Yukon. Can't have two tore down trucks in the garage at the same time. If I don't get the heads back tomorrow I may just yank the Yukon outside and tear the Ford down.

Replaced the shifter and bezel in my parents' '18 Cherokee for the notorious "implausible shifter" blah blah message.

Not in favor of firing the parts cannon but from everything I read this is the first thing the dealer would do regardless. Parts were ~$130 total so pretty cheap fix if it works
20220706_132824.jpg

Replaced the shifter and bezel in my parents' '18 Cherokee for the notorious "implausible shifter" blah blah message.

Not in favor of firing the parts cannon but from everything I read this is the first thing the dealer would do regardless. Parts were ~$130 total so pretty cheap fix if it worksView attachment 106931
Make that HARNESS and bezel. Statute of limitations has elapsed for editing my post or I wouldn't be padding my post count with this additional post.

Initial test drive did not have the implausible message return and we used manual shift some, too, which was what seemed to trigger it most often.

Finished the TH400 build yesterday. Guy needs to bring the rest of the pan bolts.

Started disassembly on a 2002 Camaro SS 5.7L/4L60E oil pump job which continued on today......Got the oil pump in, Timing Cover on, & Water Pump installed.

Finished up an estimate for a Short Block on a 2013 Mustang Shelby GT500 (5.8L Supercharged), Should be an interesting job!

izqsZ0T.jpg

KWXzdGr.jpg

I did not get the heads back for the Yukon, won't until next week. So yesterday I pulled it out of the shop and got the F-150 in for the intake gasket job. Got it tore down yesterday and am in the middle of putting it back together today. Fortunately had no broken lower manifold bolts, but three of them got skinny in the middle over the last thirty years so I'm replacing them with grade 8's from the hardware store. I've also got a Nissan versa sitting here that's been punched in the left front wheel, but I haven't had a chance to look it over yet to see what I need to fix it.

I look after the car needs of a friend’s son. My friend works overseas and his son is here. Costco refused to install the tires he ordered, saying all the lugnuts were swollen. We just worked on the car 3 months ago and at that time there were zero issues. So I had him confirm at home that his lug nut wrench didn’t fit any of the lugs, they didn’t. AZ lookup says they should be 21mm, and I was pretty sure we noted the car used 22mm when we worked on it. Buy new lugs, or buy new wrench? He picked up 20 Dorman lug nuts and we swapped them in 15 minutes. i was ok doing this, because if a store turns him away once for this, it will happen again, and he needs a working lug wrench solution. But really, costco couldn’t just pull out the socket that works?

dropped off some tractor tires to the hick Tire shop.
They had a couple Amish lookin fellas working there so i guess Mennonites.

Said we got yer number call you in a few days.. no price or anything..

I hate doing split rim tractor tires so its worth paying for.. and the trailing deck wheels i have nothing small enough to work on them with.
They are aprox the size of the front wheels on a zero turn.. and their estimate for those was 5bucks more than I would pay just for tires.

Did I mention they are all full of tire slime? 🤬

Dont look too bad here eh?
image_2022-07-07_220139890.png

How about this view?

image_2022-07-07_220245366.png

Tomorrow take 2500lb to the scrapyard.. nice working vacation this week.

I hate doing split rim tractor tires so its worth paying for.. and the trailing deck wheels i have nothing small enough to work on them with.
They are aprox the size of the front wheels on a zero turn.. and their estimate for those was 5bucks more than I would pay just for tires.

View attachment 107086

How about this view?

View attachment 107087

Bailing tin's up to .05/lb here, I was surprised as I remember. 005/lb just a year or two ago. Al cans were .40/lb and I forget cast iron per lb but I got $16 for just 8 rotors....so averaging $2 per rotor (these are mostly full-size truck rotors). Better than a poke in the eye.

We tend to be on the low side as we're far from any railroads or interstates so hopefully you're getting even better.

View attachment 107086

How about this view?

View attachment 107087

Yikes that’s bad. Let us know how much ya get for scrap

Threw up a cat shield on the Prius. This time, using this:

I also sprayed down the cat with VHT. Called a local muffler shop to see what else can be done. Else I’m debating a Chinese cat or straight pipe and putting on the OE cat for smog checks only.

Yikes that’s bad. Let us know how much ya get for scrap
2.12/lb for Brass hair wire.
$.08/lb for misc steel I'm just glad I dont have to trash the WEDM filters They are considered hazardous waste... but then again so are tide and toothpaste.

FWIW they had a price chart brake rotors were 14cents.
They usually try to lowball the tool steel to .08 but I can usually get it back to .12.. quite odd because its the cleanest most amazing steel scrap out there a bunch is vanadium steel, moly etc. and crusty rusty brake rotors are worth more???

This was the view from the check in shack.. they are kinda backed up. The car piles were 30ft+ high.
I prefer this recycling yard because its a smaller operation and "relatively" cleaner.
they had 100 gallon totes of motor oil and hydraulic fluid.. and 9-55gal drums of 15w40 and 3 pallets of DEF.

Its all stored in the non ferrous metals area where I had to take the brass hair wire.
image_2022-07-08_194122160.png

Last edited:
Finished up the F-150 this morning. Ran a fill of straight water through the cooling system and drained it before putting in the final fill. Everything checked out ok. The versa needs a left front strut assembly, an outer left tie rod end, and a wheel. I should be able to reassemble pretty much aligned. Customer is getting used strut and wheel, and a new tie rod end from rock auto. Until then it's back out of the shop.

Yesterday I made a new port side windshield (out of Lexan) for a WWII Lancaster. Did the final fitting for the starboard side windshield too.

On Tuesday I made an aluminum wall mounting housing for a security camera.

Full day today:

2008 Prius, front wheel bearing. 160k+, MN car. Pulled the knuckle and proceeded to beat the thing for 20 minutes before she finally gave up. Cleaned up the knuckle, bolted in the new hub, and off she went.

Followed that by finishing up a steering rack in a Rogue. Started that yesterday: replaced all 4 corner pads and rotors and yanked the rack as prep. Reassembled today with new outer tie rods and an alignment.

Next came a '12 T&C: Front strut assemblies, trans cooler lines, LF axle, rear pads and rotors, and 4 hoops.

In between, I snuck in a starter on a 4.0 Wrangler, that was an easy one.

Not bad for an under-staffed Friday!

Back