What are you working on today?

Replaced oil pan on a 20’ Corolla. Thanks to VIOC for stilripping the drain plug them reads right out. Not a hard job to do, had it done under 45 minutes

Today I replaced both the rear turn signal/hazard lights on my Kubota diesel tractor with LED bulbs. They are much brigher than the original incandescent 1076 bulbs. They are made by LEMENG and marked BA15D, rated 300 lumens.

Before:
A557D510-4A57-4DF6-B644-02526075BABB.jpeg

after:
7C4AB77E-CEA2-4553-AE39-B0358DC9F7A0.jpeg

5ECEB17F-4BFE-4FAB-961C-D5AB2E7EF9F0.jpeg

Nothing much today just no work coming in hardly. The first ticket today was a tow in for a battery. It was towed in as a no start. Then got the battery from Advance Auto since we didn’t have any on hand. Well customer comes to pick up car at 4:30pm and checks the battery and loses his cool saying he will only accept an Interstate Battery so I had to pull that one back out and wait from the guy 30 minutes away at the closest distributor to bring a battery for it and it cost the company extra for an after hours delivery since he was out past 5:00pm. Then I also done an alignment and some brake work. The rest of the day all of us sat around talking and throwing a bouncy ball around lol. Done some recall Subaru work too but not much not much for a 10 hour day at all. It was 60 degrees outside and felt amazing. Instead of using the A/C today we opened all the doors and let the breeze flow in.

Working on this ****...
View attachment 72153

Looks like a Volvo truck/bus/yacht engine to me. One of the local transit authorities here has two Prevost coaches with the Volvo D13. Prevost is part of Volvo’s bus arm - but their NovaBus line for Canada/US is all Cummins(as is the entire US/Canadian transit bus market, a few years back, Detroit Diesel was an option).

Looks like a Volvo truck/bus/yacht engine to me. One of the local transit authorities here has two Prevost coaches with the Volvo D13. Prevost is part of Volvo’s bus arm - but their NovaBus line for Canada/US is all Cummins(as is the entire US/Canadian transit bus market, a few years back, Detroit Diesel was an option).
It is in fact a Volvo D8K engine found in european buses, also in smaller trucks. D13 engine is discontiued as a bus engine over here, its replaced by D11 engine.

It is in fact a Volvo D8K engine found in european buses, also in smaller trucks. D13 engine is discontiued as a bus engine over here, its replaced by D11 engine.
Yea, in the US starting from the 1990s Cummins started to build a foothold until an almost monopoly on bus engines. Detroit Diesel was the choice of many transit agencies due to the GM-Detroit Diesel-Allison legacy. But the Cummins L10/M11 saw orders for buses in the 1980s-1990s and here in my part of US, a major operator started ordering the Cummins ISM over the Detroit Series 50. They ordered a fleet of VanHool A300/A330s with Cummins ISLs coupled to Voith 4-speeds to the anger of their driver’s union and the local Teamsters at Gillig in Hayward, CA. Their newer Gillig/New Flyer fleet all uses Cummins ISL/L9, ISB6.7 for the hybrid fleet.

Prevost offers the D13 standard, no Cummins.

Yea, in the US starting from the 1990s Cummins started to build a foothold until an almost monopoly on bus engines. Detroit Diesel was the choice of many transit agencies due to the GM-Detroit Diesel-Allison legacy. But the Cummins L10/M11 saw orders for buses in the 1980s-1990s and here in my part of US, a major operator started ordering the Cummins ISM over the Detroit Series 50. They ordered a fleet of VanHool A300/A330s with Cummins ISLs coupled to Voith 4-speeds to the anger of their driver’s union and the local Teamsters at Gillig in Hayward, CA. Their newer Gillig/New Flyer fleet all uses Cummins ISL/L9, ISB6.7 for the hybrid fleet.

Prevost offers the D13 standard, no Cummins.
A bus manufacturer from Poland uses Cummins ISBE6.7 engines in their products, a engine i had chance to service from time to time. The engine and drivetrain are solid but the rest of the bus... kinda crap. It seems like Volvo struggle to get decent stronghold in the US because of Cummins/CAT/Detroit Diesel domination in the marked. I don`t know if Mack which is owned by Volvo uses their engines to this date, could be wrong.

A bus manufacturer from Poland uses Cummins ISBE6.7 engines in their products, a engine i had chance to service from time to time. The engine and drivetrain are solid but the rest of the bus... kinda crap. It seems like Volvo struggle to get decent stronghold in the US because of Cummins/CAT/Detroit Diesel domination in the marked. I don`t know if Mack which is owned by Volvo uses their engines to this date, could be wrong.
I don’t see too many Mack trucks - but lots of Volvo. most things are Daimler(Freightliner), PACCAR(Peterbilt/Kenworth) and Traton/MAN(Navistar/International).

NovaBus does have a major presence in New York(their plant is in Plattsburgh, NY), Canada(their main plant is in Quebec and their state government subsidizes purchases) and Chicago/Honolulu/Disney World.

About to head out to look at a dodge ram I might be trading for. Piddled with the Durango for awhile yesterday and think it might have a bad cam sensor. Not certain.

Nothing fancy boys, just did an interior clean on my 2005 grand Mormon van. I gave it some top up oil as well.

As ugly as the rusted girl is, she's carnivorous. My wife loaded it up for a trade show and we were impressed but embarrassed to say so. Jesus take the wheel.

Today I am working on my Onan 4000 rv generator. Not getting 120v AC output. I runs great and I replaced the transfer switch yesterday. Not sure what the problem is yet.

I don’t see too many Mack trucks - but lots of Volvo. most things are Daimler(Freightliner), PACCAR(Peterbilt/Kenworth) and Traton/MAN(Navistar/International).

NovaBus does have a major presence in New York(their plant is in Plattsburgh, NY), Canada(their main plant is in Quebec and their state government subsidizes purchases) and Chicago/Honolulu/Disney World.
If you go and buy a truck, any brand even. Can you choose a engine brand you want or is it a thing of the past? Here in Europe if you buy specific brand you are stuck with their engine/drivetrain, like you do with Volvo.

If you go and buy a truck, any brand even. Can you choose a engine brand you want or is it a thing of the past? Here in Europe if you buy specific brand you are stuck with their engine/drivetrain, like you do with Volvo.
Daimler(Freightliner/Western Star/Setra Bus) pushes Detroit Diesel(they bought them out from Penske during the 1990s), PACCAR pushes their own engines, and Navistar is now pushing their MAN rebrand. The new Detroit Diesel engines are rebranded Mercedes engines. Cummins is a option for all of them.

However, Daimler wants to split into two - Mercedes cars as one, Freightliner/Detroit and Mercedes truck/bus into another company.

Daimler(Freightliner/Western Star/Setra Bus) pushes Detroit Diesel(they bought them out from Penske during the 1990s), PACCAR pushes their own engines, and Navistar is now pushing their MAN rebrand. The new Detroit Diesel engines are rebranded Mercedes engines. Cummins is a option for all of them.

However, Daimler wants to split into two - Mercedes cars as one, Freightliner/Detroit and Mercedes truck/bus into another company.

The PACCAR engines are just Cummins.

Back