What are you working on today?

Today I played musical chairs with car batteries starting with a Sam’s Club Duracell battery (8/21date code), rotating between my 2006 Corolla LE, my diesel Kubota tractor, a farm implement (12 Volt Fimco 15-gallon sprayer), and the battery to return to Sam’s to get a refund of my $18 core charge. Allow me to explain.

Battery in the Corolla was another Duracell date code 4/18 made by East Penn, I think I installed it in June 2018. Rated 625 CCA but after 3 years 3 months of service still measures 100% good and 705 CCA. East Penn rules as far as I am concerned.
2C671190-C86D-4DD2-9792-D084038E3ADA.jpeg

That one I will put in the Kubota. It takes the same group 35 car battery as the Corolla. The brand new Duracell date code 8/21 to go in the Corolla is rated 640 CCA but it measures a whopping 820 CCA.

BA2C7EB2-2E6E-45A2-908A-330E73918AF2.jpeg

Now I put the battery removed from the Corolla into the Kubota diesel and swap out what was in there: a Costco Interstate date code 5/16. It was rated 640 CCA but alas has dropped to 617 CCA:
EC2E557C-3BA2-44F3-B708-1B3A4C47740B.jpeg

It shows up as 95% good on the tester. That one will go on a tractor mounted 15 Gallon electric sprayer made by Fimco.

Finally we come to the last battery that I was previously using to power the sprayer. That is another Costco Interstate 640 CCA dated 10/14 that has fallen to 375 CCA on the tester, and that indicates Replace. That is the one I returned to Sam’s to get my $18 core charge back

E55A57D2-E4BB-4F1C-9705-96D441515624.jpeg

Friend had a family emergency, so I did not end up working at his shop today. Instead I stayed home and worked on the Durango for a bit before taking the rest of the day off. Replaced all the wiper blades, serpentine belt and belt tensioner.

Very much so. They want to get rid of him but we are so short staffed that it is pretty much impossible to let anyone go. He had sent a few out with no oil where we have had to replace engines too in the past. And left air filters out of cars by forgetting to put them back in. He complains all day that he wants to be a lineman but can’t find a job as one lol. I’ll admit everyone makes mistakes including myself but not nearly as much as he has the last two months he has worked here. It probably would still be going down the road had I not seen the filter sitting on his oil drain and pointed it out. He was just going to hide it but I made him fess up to it like an honest person would since I’m in charge of him.
Man, I feel sorry you have a jack off like that to have to work with. Your employer will fire him I am CERTAIN. We fired a new tech as never tightened drain plug and filter was double gasketed. Hyundai/Kia are so picky on warranty stuff as we have to use OEM filters or they deny our warranty stuff

Very much so. They want to get rid of him but we are so short staffed that it is pretty much impossible to let anyone go. He had sent a few out with no oil where we have had to replace engines too in the past. And left air filters out of cars by forgetting to put them back in. He complains all day that he wants to be a lineman but can’t find a job as one lol. I’ll admit everyone makes mistakes including myself but not nearly as much as he has the last two months he has worked here. It probably would still be going down the road had I not seen the filter sitting on his oil drain and pointed it out. He was just going to hide it but I made him fess up to it like an honest person would since I’m in charge of him.
Is his name Jason? 😂

Man, I feel sorry you have a jack off like that to have to work with. Your employer will fire him I am CERTAIN. We fired a new tech as never tightened drain plug and filter was double gasketed. Hyundai/Kia are so picky on warranty stuff as we have to use OEM filters or they deny our warranty stuff
Oh yeah they took care of him today. All the managers screamed at him then he got pulled in the big bosses office and was handed walking papers. It has been so peaceful the last 4 hours without the negativity and screw ups. And yep you are exactly right on the Hyandai/ Kia stuff we use all original filters on pretty much everything but especially those two brands.

If he gets a job as a lineman (assuming you are talking about a lineman working for a power company here???) he will likely get hurt or killed doing that job if his work habits continue as they are now.
Yep power company. He said he wanted to be like his grandpa. And yep we all said the same thing here lol.

Oh yeah they took care of him today. All the managers screamed at him then he got pulled in the big bosses office and was handed walking papers. It has been so peaceful the last 4 hours without the negativity and screw ups. And yep you are exactly right on the Hyandai/ Kia stuff we use all original filters on pretty much everything but especially those two brands.
Great news. People like that other employee don’t last long

Did a 4 wheel brake job on a 2016 Toyota 4Runner. Front brake replacement are no different than any Toyota truck made in the past couple decades. Rear disc brake setup is new to me since I'm used to seeing drums.
Guy was a waiter so was a bit pressured to finish the job. Didn't perform road test (did a driveway test) and told him to take it easy on the brakes as it beds in.

Here's an earlier front brake job that I've done on a 2000 Toyota Tundra a while ago:

Last edited:
Working on the 09 2.0L Elantra today. I had a super slight almost impossible to detect "chugging" under 1400-1500 RPMs, and under light throttle load. I thought it was just the nature of this engine TBH, but something told me to change out the plug wires as i already cleaned MAF, and replaced sparkplugs with NGKs laser Iridium and this "chugging" continued.
Glad i did because these new premium wires fixed that. I would guess it was a slight misfire under super light load, and low rpms.. Engine is smooth under all conditions now, and it even seems to rev easier, and pulls better under light throttle.. It was a success!

Check and or replaced your wires if you have a low rpms misfire like i did, even if they appear good, such as these- 2nd pic, they might be worn...
Looking back i should of replaced the wires when i changed out the plugs a few hundred miles ago but they didn't "look" bad to my eye, and i assumed they were replaced at one point.. I was wrong. They were probably original Hyundai OEM wires from 2009 :oops:
IMG_1956.jpeg
IMG_1957.jpeg

Installed an upgraded (metal) coolant bypass pipe and new thermostat on the Tacoma. Also it got 3 new tires but I didn't install those lol.
Also, still trying to mount a new rear tire on the WR450F. Messed up my knee a couple weeks ago which is making many things a lot more difficult than normal, especially jobs like this which requires some leverage. I am not riding the bike with a bum knee, so whenever I get this tire on will certainly be soon enough.
01.jpg
03.jpg

Working on the 09 2.0L Elantra today. I had a super slight almost impossible to detect "chugging" under 1400-1500 RPMs, and under light throttle load. I thought it was just the nature of this engine TBH, but something told me to change out the plug wires as i already cleaned MAF, and replaced sparkplugs with NGKs laser Iridium and this "chugging" continued.
Glad i did because these new premium wires fixed that. I would guess it was a slight misfire under super light load, and low rpms.. Engine is smooth under all conditions now, and it even seems to rev easier, and pulls better under light throttle.. It was a success!

Check and or replaced your wires if you have a low rpms misfire like i did, even if they appear good, such as these- 2nd pic, they might be worn...
Looking back i should of replaced the wires when i changed out the plugs a few hundred miles ago but they didn't "look" bad to my eye, and i assumed they were replaced at one point.. I was wrong. They were probably original Hyundai OEM wires from 2009 :oops:
View attachment 71387View attachment 71388
I've had issues with NGK wires going bad after a year of use. I put them in wire loom, and made sure there was no hot spot contacts, and they still failed. SO I suggest never buying NGK wires.
On my 2010, coil overs! I haven't had a coil fail yet. On my BMW I had two coils fail on me, at around 100k.

7F10E4FF-2C3E-4C36-BA6B-749B4A474B35.jpeg
676E336A-8E6B-41AD-A72D-516B66FD5069.jpeg

Done a tensioner on a Mazda 3. Never tackled one like this before but it was fun. Had to borrow my coworkers special tool because I needed a stubby torx bit. Also done brakes and oil change and tire rotation We didn’t have much to do because we were dead today like every Friday. My friend tried to help with the tensioner and snapped the drive off my Snap-on long 1/4 I was a little bit angry at the time because it’s brand new. But I’ll get it fixed Thursday. Still kinda angry over it but oh well things happen. I didn’t show anger towards him because he always helps when needed and let’s me use stuff.

I was
View attachment 71413View attachment 71412
Done a tensioner on a Mazda 3. Never tackled one like this before but it was fun. Had to borrow my coworkers special tool because I needed a stubby torx bit. Also done brakes and oil change and tire rotation We didn’t have much to do because we were dead today like every Friday. My friend tried to help with the tensioner and snapped the drive off my Snap-on long 1/4 I was a little bit angry at the time because it’s brand new. But I’ll get it fixed Thursday. Still kinda angry over it but oh well things happen. I didn’t show anger towards him because he always helps when needed and let’s me use stuff.
I was going to ask if it was a snap on.. Bummer, do they replace them or fix them? It looks like it would be an easy fix with a new part.. I have never myself worked on a Mazda, I think the only Mazda I would ever own is the Miata.

Out of curiosity, how much was that ratchet new?

I was

I was going to ask if it was a snap on.. Bummer, do they replace them or fix them? It looks like it would be an easy fix with a new part.. I have never myself worked on a Mazda, I think the only Mazda I would ever own is the Miata.

Out of curiosity, how much was that ratchet new?
They usually fix them just a rebuild kit and slap them in. The ratchet was $120 new. The comfort handle ones are a little more.

Yesterday I finished the rear brakes on the 04 Econoline. Today I helped tie up loose ends on a vintage air install on a 1970 Chevrolet Malibu. Tomorrow I'll be putting the drivers front window regulator in my Durango and cleaning the interior.

Yesterday I finished the rear brakes on the 04 Econoline. Today I helped tie up loose ends on a vintage air install on a 1970 Chevrolet Malibu. Tomorrow I'll be putting the drivers front window regulator in my Durango and cleaning the interior.
1970 Chevrolet Malibu, that's a good looking car.

Back