What are you working on today?

Working on the 09 2.0L Elantra today. I had a super slight almost impossible to detect "chugging" under 1400-1500 RPMs, and under light throttle load.....
Glad i did because these new premium wires fixed that. I would guess it was a slight misfire under super light load, and low rpms.. Engine is smooth under all conditions now, and it even seems to rev easier, and pulls better under light throttle.. It was a success!

Check and or replaced your wires if you have a low rpms misfire like i did, even if they appear good
My GM Opel Astra was running rough, especially at low engine speeds. I thought it was the engine mounts and vibration. The mechanic said, "nope....it's the plug wires", he put a new set in and the car was as smooth as butter.

Pulling the heads off a Commodore ute. Give me a 308 anyday, I'd have had the heads off in a 1/4 of the time.

20210916_135359.jpg
20210916_135409.jpg

Got the window regulator replaced on the Durango and vacuumed it out a little. Still deciding what I want to do with it.

Today I sprayed the lawn with 30 gallons of Talstar P for insect control. The last time I did was in May and we went nearly four months without an insect bite.
AF6BC5AF-4131-47E2-B06C-E387A7D6D0FD.jpeg

It was yesterday and Saturday, but I swapped out a faulty wheel hub bearing and the abs sensor in my brother’s 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. It was going pretty quick until I had to thread the connector for the abs up behind the shock mount where it hides. NOT easy to do, but it was done. Corrected the ABS warning he was getting, and got rid of the slight, but sure to get worse, bearing noise. He was looking at swapping both sides and the brakes, but he had no right side issues and his brakes had about 50% pad life left. All is well.

But…. I finally dragged the 99 Crown Victoria (non-police base model) up to my workspace. Brother used his Jeep winch to pull it (and play with it a bit; no problem moving the hulk of a dead car). 😎

Parts car. No redoing this one. We yanked the starter after some difficult maneuvering (poorly designed for service to be sure). Engine cannot be turned over by hand, or breaker bar. It was late so I went back Sunday morning and pulled all the plugs. Still no turning it. I verified that the cylinders were cleared out with my bore scope and saw something I shouldn’t. Then I used the air blow gun… middle cylinders had water in them. Blowing in bank one sprayed water out bank two.

Brother and I decided that we would strip the usable body parts, and sell it off for parts. Most of it is usable on anything up to 2011, but any other stuff is limited to 1998-2002. The nearly new tires on the aluminum lace wheels alone will fetch more than I gave the owner for it so I’m ok. Rest in pieces, old Panther platform car. 😁

View attachment 71413View attachment 71412
Done a tensioner on a Mazda 3. Never tackled one like this before but it was fun. Had to borrow my coworkers special tool because I needed a stubby torx bit. Also done brakes and oil change and tire rotation We didn’t have much to do because we were dead today like every Friday. My friend tried to help with the tensioner and snapped the drive off my Snap-on long 1/4 I was a little bit angry at the time because it’s brand new. But I’ll get it fixed Thursday. Still kinda angry over it but oh well things happen. I didn’t show anger towards him because he always helps when needed and let’s me use stuff.
Jesus, he used a 1/4" drive ratchet on the tensioner? No surprise it broke.

Jesus, he used a 1/4" drive ratchet on the tensioner? No surprise it broke.
Yep only thing that would fit besides a wrench but he didn’t think he could break it loose with a wrench. I told him a wrench is probably stronger than a 1/4 ratchet with a 15mm socket it on it lol. Personally I try to avoid 1/4 anything over 13 or 14mm.

Yep only thing that would fit besides a wrench but he didn’t think he could break it loose with a wrench. I told him a wrench is probably stronger than a 1/4 ratchet with a 15mm socket it on it lol. Personally I try to avoid 1/4 anything over 13 or 14mm.

The Snap-on XDHFM series wrench might have helped here, the long zero offset double box wrench.

Not Snap-on, but this style:
_p_3_p32487a.jpg

Did several oil changes yesterday and today. Replaced brake pads on a Chevrolet Express one ton box van, replaced brake pads on a 75 Ford Ltd, and also replaced the fuel pump on the Ltd.

Honestly not much today. It was a rainy day a lot of people don’t show up when it is pouring rain out. Had to update a few Subaru star link systems. Then helped one of the Kia guys take down an engine for a rebuild. Done a few state inspections. Then chatted with the new master tech they hired he has been doing this 30 years. We talked about how most or all the young people coming up in this industry nowadays believe that everything has to be Snap-on and other truck brands and just how cars have changed. I tell you me and him agree on just about everything glad to have him in the bay next to me. He was showing me his tool collection. Like me he has a mix of brands his is majority Snap-on, Mac and Craftsman with other brands as well. He is kinda angry he is only allowed to observe and do oil changes and tire rotations the first week because that is the company policy no matter experience level. I was too when I started but I got over it lol.

Back