What are you working on today?

Not much today just training on the computer. Slowest week we have had in a long time I guess because of all the snow. I’ve spent the last week still thinking about whether to stay with Toyota or go back to Subaru. My heart tells me Subaru but my wallet and everyone else tells me Toyota. Both have their pros and cons. But they put me to strictly working on Toyota training they really want me at Toyota. I hate representing Toyota but if we can negotiate the pay I want it might be worth it. Only things most of us done today was program keys and basic stuff. Not bad but certainly not fun. I think we had a total count of 17 cars. It always seems our dealership is slow when others are booming. Possibly because of location. The town my work is in is smaller than my hometown so I’m sure that’s for something to do with it and every other dealership is cheaper in our area too. Got several no’s this week because of price.
Good companies are the ones who invest in their employees through training. In the tech field, I can't count how many boring and horribly executed training sessions I've sat through, but the information is valuable and certainly helped with advancing my career. When a company has 50 applicants for a position, it comes down to what skills and abilities you can offer the company over the other applicants. Companies who invest in their employees usually want to retain them instead of them taking those skills elsewhere.

After about 3 months of small to medium tractor practice projects, finally built enough confidence to extend a natural spillway and diverting the water away from my mother's house. I have more contour lines (swales), tributaries and some side ditches to make along the property roads in the future. I want to divert it all to a new pond eventually. Its supposed to rain the next 3-4 days so will monitor and patch it if there are any breaches.

Every second on the tractor is absolute fun.
Agreed. I grew up next door to a farm, and love running equipment to the point where if I wasn't already as far as I am in my career in tech, I'd want to be an equipment operator instead. I've run big tractors, backhoes, etc, but my little 26hp Kubota is still a hoot to run.

1986 Toyota 4Runner 22RE
Replaced distributor cap, rotor button, spark plugs, plug wires, fuel filter and air filter, changed oil

Went over to the shop where my friend/boss tinkers with his projects and helped him put the rear end back into a 1965 Pontiac GTO he's done a frame off restoration on. We also installed the gas tank.

Taking the rest of the week off.

Programmed a keyfob to a co-workers '98 Continental
Most older FLM products take a keyfob that costs ~$10 and takes ~10 seconds to program
It's so cheap and easy, I'm insulted when someone is using a key
Snagged a NOS unit off eBay that controls the memory package, because I'm extra like that 😏
He never had RKE on a car before, he's over the moon 👍

Either cycle the ignition from off to run 8 time, finishing in run (door locks cycle)
Or
Enter keypad code, then press 1/2 (door locks cycle)
Press any button on remote
Programming complete ✅

Changed the oil on my 21 HRV....Mobil 1 0w20 and a Fram ultra 7317..also changed the rear dif. with Honda Dual Pump fluid...

Been chilly and wet here the last few days but been busy feeding cattle and dealing with normal breakdowns at work. I went in early to work today to machine some aluminum discs to mount my blue beacon lights on my pickups headache rack.

7” diameter 6061 aluminum 1” thick from McMaster Carr. 5/16” square head bolts fit in the groove in my rack and I recessed the holes for the nuts to not interfere with the bottom of the lights. Have the factory Ford upfitter switch kit here that will go in this weekend. Switches 1 and 2 will control the two blue beacons and the existing amber light bar. Switch 4 will be high idle control.

Lights are Feniex AM600 in blue. Will post a pic once everything is wired and working. Hope to finish the wiring over the weekend.
BBF0813C-3DBB-4E21-A50A-1DF75695C717.jpeg

397FEAC1-6389-48FF-81C0-F0BBD74AB05D.jpeg

F2C2A580-A2A0-44F1-9F2B-3AE6177AF965.jpeg

DDCFCCFD-F64E-4C35-913F-544845560E81.jpeg

7D09AB42-703C-4AA0-8E9C-55DA71A0A1FB.jpeg

Had a great time last night, repaired 1 chainsaw, cleaned the others. Swapped parts between the Kubota d902 and d722. I had the d722 tilted to remove the backplate, starter and flywheel and forgot I removed the fuel solenoid which left a gaping hole pointed down onto the floor. I didnt notice for a good 20 minutes. Cat litter worked great cleaning up the exxon valdez mess. :poop:

1706289370618.jpg

Had a great time last night, repaired 1 chainsaw, cleaned the others. Swapped parts between the Kubota d902 and d722. I had the d722 tilted to remove the backplate, starter and flywheel and forgot I removed the fuel solenoid which left a gaping hole pointed down onto the floor. I didnt notice for a good 20 minutes. Cat litter worked great cleaning up the exxon valdez mess. :poop:

View attachment 200277
My good friend had just finished restoring a 1927 Indian Prince engine, mounted and test ran it on a home made engine stand.

I don't know what possessed him to put it in his bedroom, but he did. He didn't notice the engine oil leak onto the carpet. This happened over 30 years ago. The oil stain is still there.

The van (2001 Villager) won't communicate with the new NYVIP3 NYS inspection machines
But I don't know why 🤷‍♂️
My dad took it to two different shops, they all threw their hands up and said take it to the dealer 👀

It communicates with multiple scan tools I own just fine, I'm confused
So I hosed down the DLC with Deoxit D5, because I've tried nothing and I'm all out of ideas 🙄
No obvious green crusties that I can see 🤔
1000009380.jpg

Maybe a little shinier?
1000009386.jpg

I'm gonna take it to the shop tomorrow, so I can witness the procedure live
Maybe the shop will have to put a ticket in/contact VIP tech support

Anyone else having NYS inspection issues with the newer machines?

2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L/6L90E with almost 300,000.....Customer states the transmission just quit pulling & had it towed.
That's a LIE....1234, 26, 35R, & Lo/Reverse Clutches burnt to a crisp. The 1234 Clutches have friction welded themselves to the hub.
Cause was the Torque Converter Clutch going metal to metal & clogging the filter with debris.

Someone cleared the DTC's (Zero miles since DTC cleared), Know for a fact the trans was over 300°.....Probably over 400°. Fluid was thick as 50W motor oil & stunk so bad I had to tear it down outside, Had a bandana over my mouth & nose outlaw style.

The only good parts are both Planetary Carriers, Center Support, & the Case. The Valve Body might be salvageable??

Didn't call the customer, I don't appreciate being lied to, Misled or whatever you want to call it. The truck was screaming at the driver to STOP because the unit was overheating.

Have a '08 6L90E 4x4 core that I tore down....It's in really good shape, So good I could've thrown a Torque Converter at it & run it!

This is the part of the business that I struggle with.....
*Do I charge out every piece I need out of this good unit to repair his unit at fair market value?
*Sell him the core @ a 20% mark-up & charge him a teardown fee?

And he still needs a TECHM, Programming, & Tuning.

HQDgSK8.jpg

VdSSua2.jpg

yBdwUIX.jpg

Last edited:
The van (2001 Villager) won't communicate with the new NYVIP3 NYS inspection machines
But I don't know why 🤷‍♂️
My dad took it to two different shops, they all threw their hands up and said take it to the dealer 👀

It communicates with multiple scan tools I own just fine, I'm confused
So I hosed down the DLC with Deoxit D5, because I've tried nothing and I'm all out of ideas 🙄
No obvious green crusties that I can see 🤔

Maybe a little shinier?

I'm gonna take it to the shop tomorrow, so I can witness the procedure live
Maybe the shop will have to put a ticket in/contact VIP tech support

Anyone else having NYS inspection issues with the newer machines?

I've seen the terminals in the DLC get stretched out & cause communication/poor connection issues with different plug-in interfaces.

I've seen the terminals in the DLC get stretched out & cause communication/poor connection issues with different plug-in interfaces.
It could be worn out
I mean, only been 22 years 👀
22 inspections and 62,000 miles 🥺
Does nothing last anymore 🙄

I find it a little suspicious that all 4 of my scan tools talk to it perfectly, but the new VIP3 system can't 🤔
I'll get a good look at the new dongle tomorrow
I believe it's a Drew Technologies J2534 type box, or similar
1706327932918.jpg

I put ONE low beam light in the kids 2018 Compass. It took me 45 min with my fat hands. If I had little bitty hands it probably would have gone faster.

I've never been a fan of FMC/Stellantis stuff, but the more I work on this 'Jeep' the more I will never ever give that company any of my money. What a piece of junk.

Lets put the headlights behind a cover for no apparent reason, but we'll put a big screw off cap behind them so you think you can access them, but we'll but a metal bracket right behind it so you really can't get to it after all. And you can't unbolt the bracket without taking a bunch of crap off the front because while the back nut you can get to, just, the fronts bolt through the front core support.

Probably has something to do with their stupid 'trail rated' BS. My honda cars have headlights where the back of them are exposed and I've probably only put 2 sets of lights in my Accord over the years. Why they feel the need to protect the backside of the headlight bulbs is beyond me.

Replaced the engine to frame ground strap and the frame to body ground strap with heavy duty upgraded ones on the 1997 GMC farm truck.
Replaced the upper radiator hose on my fiancé's 1994 Cavalier work commute car.

@clinebarger Give him two options. You rebuild this one with all new and upgraded parts or find a rebuilt unit for you to install and no warranty on the bought unit because he apparently abuses his equipment.

Yesterday
2005 Chevrolet Avalanche
Replaced the linear blower motor module with a regular blower motor resistor for a neighbor. He also dropped off a 2003 Kia Sedona minivan for a radiator. I'll probably do it towards the end of next week. It's his swap meet/trade day hauler and he really doesn't need it right now.

Cleaned the exhaust manifold and mounted the new turbo for the Mini. On the bench is the only sure way to mount and torque the studs and nuts properly.

Placed the head gasket and set the cylinder head. Had a difficult time getting the coolant pipe that runs from the back of the water pump (press in with an o-ring) to the thermostat housing which mounts on the head. Finally got it all placed, coolant pipe pressed in and locked into the thermostat, and my washers I need to install the head bolts were not included in my kit. 🫤. I should have checked it all.

I priced getting a set of 10 sent in, but at that price I can buy a whole set of bolts and washers on order locally. So parts hold again.

I’m going out of town, and looked at buying the set at a parts store near my destination. I could do that but by the time I’ll be back, my order through NAPA should be ready.

After that, the all new timing set goes in… I decided to get a different set even though the one in there is pretty new (but no-name vs Melling on the new).

Had a coworker pay me to change plugs in his wife's 2007 Kia Sportage w/ 2.7L V6.

Typical DOHC transverse V6 requiring intake plenum removal. Instructions say you need to remove complete upper intake and surge tank/throttle body assembly, but I found a shortcut. You can separate the upper intake from the rear portion. There's two vertical studs up front and a horizontal stud in the back which make it difficult to pull the intake assembly UP. Obviously the thing has to go up to come off, but the sideways stud in the rear prevents that. I just pried the front over the studs carefully while allowing the rear of it to rotate on the back stud. Once it pops off the front studs, you just slide it to the side and off it comes like magic. Probably saved a couple hours of labor.

The back portion is up tight against the firewall underneath the cowl where you can't see the fasteners and can barely reach them. All the suckers on Youtube removing the whole thing as unit, they are a glutton for punishment. Wish I'd taken some photos of the process.

Given the condition of the old plugs, pretty sure I've cured their misfire.

IMG_6164.jpg

IMG_6165.jpg

Last edited:
Back