What are you working on today?

Hey this is a beautiful work here… fabulous. Hopefully it’s an idle speed screw or perhaps a vacuum leak and it’s running ok because it’s too rich.

one question... I’m sorry but it caught my eye. Is that a red wire nut poking out of the yellow split loom? There might be a better connector for auto use?
Yes you're right. Bless me for I have sinned! :)
I completed my restomod in 2007 and its held up perfect over the years but one day it shall be improved!

1996 GMC Sierra 1500
Replaced radiator, radiator hoses, thermostat, oil cooler lines, oil cooler mount seals, flushed block and heater core, changed oil.

I built a thing to switch the patio lights off and on. I will call it a switch.
The outlet below is switched by the switch above the outlet below. I never wired one of these, and I wrongly assumed they are set up to switch the outlet. No. They can he separate or common supply, but to switch the outlet the connecting tab must be broken then hot to switch. Then load side of switch to hot on outlet. N common. Ground standard. Hot came from added outlet just for more outlets on patio. Area is covered.
IMG_4825.jpeg

Last edited:
Swapped out a faulty ignition coil on my mom’s 2008 Chevy Silverado 5.3. The others were fine, just cylinder number 1. Swapping it to cylinder 3 had the misfire follow, so I got a couple of Delphi coils off RockAuto (another just in case) and it’s back to running smoothly.

It has sat for nearly a year after the head gasket blew out but I had a shop nearby repair it. I suspect the old coil on there gave out on the trip back but she didn’t notice it because it was probably intermittent. It went full fail when I serviced the air conditioning with new service valves due to a leak on the low side, vacuumed it down and replenished the refrigerant.

All is well with it now. 🙂

'99 XJ front unit bearing

This was the first time I've encountered a unit bearing sound horrible but have no discernible play. Actually it did have the tiniest slop when I first shook the wheel at 12 and 6, but then it vanished. My theory is that the weight of the vehicle was able to "dislodge" the failing bearings but they returned to position when I was shaking it and I wasn't able to replicate just using my arms. But it still sounded dry and creaky and scratchy

And yeah, the rotor stone guard is going in the scrap bin!
20230609_191327.jpg

Tackled the infamous Intake manifold on my 2008 Crown Vic. My brother and his wife replaced it in 2019, but unfortunately used a cheap eBay manifold that only lasted 2 years before it started leaking.

Used OEM of course. Bit of a bear but got her done 🙌

Attachments

• 20230610_150733.jpg
    20230610_150733.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230610_162900.jpg
    20230610_162900.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230610_000259.jpg
    20230610_000259.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230610_120752.jpg
    20230610_120752.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 16
Condemning another Hyundai engine
This time the 2.0 Nu in a 2020 Elantra (K VIN), 42k miles
It has both pertinent engine campaigns done

Recall 203 (engine inspection/replacement) 9/24/2021
Service Campaign 974 (CNDS engine monitor update) 11/30/2022

It had its 3/36 free maintenance at the local Hyundai dealer, and 2-3 oil changes at a local shop that's acceptable
So it's had 4-7 oil changes in 3 years/42k miles, I would think that's enough

Here we are, and yes I checked, the oils full
It was going into Hyundai next week for the Hyundai challenge alarm/immobilizer software update (Campaign 993), but now it's gonna have to stay for an engine diagnostic/probably replacement

I don't think it has an OE Hyundai filter on it, but I doubt an aftermarket filter will make that type of noise
What a shame 😔

Today I worked on a neighbor's lawnmower. It's a craftsman yts 3000 with a 42 inch cut and a 21 horse Briggs and Stratton single cylinder.
I changed the oil, replaced the fuel filter, replaced the air filter, blades and the deck and drive belts. Also greased the spindles on the steer axle.

After that I cleared some brush from beneath the tree line.

IMG_3844.jpeg

IMG_3845.jpeg
IMG_3846.jpeg
IMG_3847.jpeg
IMG_3848.jpeg
IMG_3849.jpeg

Changed the oil in dads truck today. We took the hex drain plug out for the first time since he bought the truck in 2014. We have been using the quick drain which I hate but the hex plug developed a leak from the o-ring which was very rotted. Understandably so with it not being taken out in at least almost 10 years. Replaced with a new Cat genuine o-ring. I don’t particularly enjoy doing the oil change just because it’s so messy and takes forever to drain 10 gallons out of the sump also leaves a ton of oil to dispose of. But it’s much cheaper than paying someone to do it. Of course the filter was changed too. That’s ok I earned my Chinese food for the day lol.

Last edited:
5-6 weeks into the new place and we have 2 cars in the garage. We have a tight crawl space but admittedly tools that I want to keep but don’t see myself using soon are finding storage down there. Most things however, I’m weeding out. If they are just non-materialized project dreams, hard calls are being made and stuff is leaving.

had to mow the old place this week, and the mower is ill. My experiment of using a powersports battery may be drawing to a close as it’s starting to struggle to crank it over. It’s oddly worse when warmed up. Had to spend some time cleaning it up, airing it up, kept it on the charger again today. It’s not been a bad run… 3 years I think, and *maybe* I can limp it thru the season (jump pack ftw).

bought some insulation for a particular spot in the attic. Made zero progress putting it up.

oh, and in a moment of desperation, cleaned the cab of the truck out with the leaf blower. It’s a 4-stroke so it doesn’t leave an oily smell.

Back