What are you working on today?

Beautiful car. '56 is second best looking of the 3, after the '55 which is absolutely best looking. Both throw shade on the '57 though which is sad since I'm a '57 also. Interesting story. I don't understand half of it but I like reading these and hearing about the experiences of you extra smart mechanically guys. Reminds me of my dad. He was an ok mechanic but was an exceptional doctor. Many of his colleagues would call him to discuss puzzling cases and he'd know just what wasn't right. So I like reading these even if I don't understand some of it.

My ranking is backwards from yours.

Using '56 Hardtops to build '55 Hardtops used to be a thing in the 80's & 90's, The Front Clip & The Quarter Panels are different but not a huge deal for a good bodyman......I'm sure that's why we see fewer '56 2dr Hardtops.

My ranking is backwards from yours.

Using '56 Hardtops to build '55 Hardtops used to be a thing in the 80's & 90's, The Front Clip & The Quarter Panels are different but not a huge deal for a good bodyman......I'm sure that's why we see fewer '56 2dr Hardtops.
The front end of both '55 and '56 are very good looking. I like the back of the '55 better, much nicer taillights.

So, lost a key for the old co-worker’s Fit, I had a locksmith on bat but the co-worker told me he had a spare key that didn’t work. Turned out I was able to get it to work via the Lost Key function with the Honda software on my ThinkCar. Started on the brakes, a trip to the Honda dealer to picked up a switch became a trip to my rock climbing gym for a competition I did on a whim.
IMG_0073.jpeg

Tomorrow will be the rear brakes, trans fluid, and to swap out the bad Akebono clips.

My nephew who bought my Crown Vic is out of town to see his girlfriend so I decided that I’ll service the car since he’s more of a driver, not a maintainer type.

First, changed his winter tires out - still on them in June. Checked over the brakes and he will need them before the leaves turn color. Reset the TPMS and checked out the other items.

Starter was horrible! Turn the key and a nasty grinding and whirring, but it started. Decided that changing it with the one I have on the shelf (new Remy unit) was best since I don’t have an immediate need to use that starter and I don’t want the late night call that it finally died. I knew going in that No Ford designer ever considered servicing this starter or considered replacement a possibility. I got it in and the new one performs flawlessly. The old one wiggles and wobbles the Bendix so no wonder.

Cleaned battery of the blue fuzzy stuff and put silicone paste on since I can’t find my Noco battery terminal protector.

Noticed a broken vacuum line to the fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail, but I had another vacuum line assembly from another car that plugged into it.

Fixed the washer fluid reservoir and pump. It would drain out the fluid because the pump hose blew off due to a rusted clamp. Replaced hose, refitted the reservoir with new fasteners and it works again.

Finally, changed the overdue oil with some Supertech 5w20 I had stashed along with a Denso filter. It’s getting a new set of seats tomorrow since the driver’s seat is collapsed and that is a crash in waiting in my estimation.

Then I changed my mom’s Ram 1500 Classic oil. It’s been about 5000 miles and it showed 60% life left, but was pretty dark. Used a leftover Hastings filter from my Ram trucks from years past and yes, that too was a PITA given the filter location and how it dribbles oil all over the steering rack and sway bar. 😐

Called it a day after that. But I still need to change those seats . I have my old Grand Marquis parts car I can pick for parts.

Attachments

• 70811517428__BB8A591F-DED9-4649-9BBF-41E0AA05B5F2.jpeg
    70811517428__BB8A591F-DED9-4649-9BBF-41E0AA05B5F2.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 70811038990__14AD6A8B-AC48-40D9-8C8D-9972C67D5EEA.jpeg
    70811038990__14AD6A8B-AC48-40D9-8C8D-9972C67D5EEA.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 19
Working on rebuilding the entire front end suspension/steering my 2008 Avalon with 215K Miles: Everything done from below except waiting for one of the PS hoses to arrive on Monday

KYB Quick Struts
Delphi LCA
OEM Ball Joints
Moog SwayBar Links
Moog SwayBar Bushings
Moog Outer Tie Rods
SKF Wheel Bearings and Hub
Edelmann Power Steering Rack
Rebuild PS Pump with OEM Seal Kit
Dorman Power Steering Reservoir
All new Sunsong PS Hoses

Hoping to get another 100K miles out of this career three years before I decide to buy a newer Avalon. Cars are to expensive now a days, thought it would be better to rebuild the entire system and drive it without dealing with all the clunks and PW leaks in the front.

PXL_20230610_232301935.jpg

Remote start wiring
Fun 😊
The unit is an iDataStart HC3.5 two way remote start keyless+alarm
Bypass is built into the (very compact unit), which makes mounting and cable management much easier
PosiTap+PosiLocks make 12v wiring easy
Add a wire stripper and some Tessa tape, and you can button it all up to where no one would know
I used FORScan to disable the factory perimeter alarm in the SJB, I let the HCX320 be the alarm now
I was unable to retain drivers priority door unlock, but that happens 🤷‍♂️

Completed the seat motor change.

Grand Marquis parts car seats are too different to be used in the 12 years newer Crown Vic (seat belt buckles are totally different and the newer car has airbags in the seats, so no-go).

However, the small motors within the seats are the same over the years. I was able to scavenge the small seat back recline motor rather quickly. I don’t need the up/down and forward and back motors… yet. They will need more fiddling with to get them off intact. But the recline motor was usable. I was able to remove the failed motor and slot the salvage part in within 10 minutes. Worked after all the years out in the field. Vacuumed the mess and bolted the seat back down. Job done. 🙂

The recline motor uses a tiny little square shaft no bigger than a pencil lead (not the pencil; just the lead) to drive the recline mechanism. I kept the dead one to see if there is a way to fix it just because. I don’t anticipate doing this job again, but you never know.

Then I rested. 😎

After carpet bombing the shed for bugs last week, I swept out and vacuumed the corpses, leaves, spider webs and fine dust that found it's way into the shed. This 10x10 shed was supposed to be for my garage overflow, mower and other garden equipment. Several storage boxes of holiday decorations have invaded. :confused:

The upside is I struck oil:

20230610_181636_resized.jpg

Eight quarts plus a partial was on a lower shelf. I have 23 total quarts of T-IV. More than enough to do the planned exchange. Too much, actually. I don't recall ever ordering this. Packing list is from Frank Toyota (defunct), 12 qts. ordered in Novemeber of 2007 - $3.70/qt, $16.03 shipping = $64.32

A bit more work on the Fit - adjusted the valves, forgot to take an undercover pic but it was clean for 140K- the oil changes I did on it was with Quaker State FS 0W-20, else it was bulk Chevron or Pennzoil 5W-20HM. I did the last valve adjustment but heard a horrible clacking like a typewriter. Cleaned up the old Bosch-supplied pad clips per @The Critic and the front brakes don’t drag anymore. The hardware Akebono supplied in the box was bad, the pads that were on there was Bosch of some sort - no Bosch logo or PerfectStop markings but the AMECA marks lead me to that. Tomorrow, rear brakes before I hand it back.

Trying for good from afar but far from good on a '15 Forester that had an encounter with Bambi. I'm shocked at how much everything moved given the damage. I'm also shocked at how chintzy everything is on this URaBus -- it feels thinner than Focii, CRV's and even Aveos!!

Anyway I'm trying to salvage the core support and get the headlight mounts to line up. Had to pull the support forward (and ideally, right) so I booty'd an anchor point with flat bar and a link of chain to utilize the captive nuts in the support and pulled off my 2-post lift.

It's painfully obvious I'm not a body guy but I'm making due. This girl WILL hit another deer within 6 months so there's little incentive for perfection.

edit: oh and I have come-a-longs and chain hoists but what's the point? You could rip this entire car in two with just a 1" ratchet strap ;)
20230611_212730.jpg
20230611_221552.jpg
20230611_222848.jpg

Last edited:
After taking the carpet and seatbelts out of my Jeep to install a stereo system and sound deadening last year, I guess the wiring for my rear O2 sensor on the '96 Jeep Cherokee has been having fun trying to get tangled up with the driveshaft. It shared a bolt with the seatbelt and I forgot about that. I don't drive it a lot so anymore driving and it would have been worse. Had to cut out the bad sections of wires and re-splice it and heat-shrink it. Used wire loom and wrapped with electrical tape. Looks odd because I couldn't find my black electrical tape, so I used light gray.

Was both the wiring on the O2 sensor and the Jeep's harness, which took the brunt of the damage. Can't get NTK O2 sensors anymore I guess so I opted to repair.

D4187D4F-3BCB-4316-9FDD-8A1F54C6DFAD.jpeg
796A2C5B-D5F1-4EC8-9245-89A5BCDFDF06.jpeg
DE64DFE7-6D26-44E9-B1F7-59C04FAC9976.jpeg
73B128C1-2814-4BAE-8364-A644BAAAF7A5.jpeg
7C45359E-7483-49A0-AE89-43CAFBDBEDD2.jpeg

1998 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Replaced radiator, radiator hoses and thermostat

2010 Ford F-150
Rotated tires, checked brakes, changed oil replaced air filter

My neighbor brought over a Troy Bilt TB200 push mower that wouldn't start off the old gas but would start off ether. I removed the bowl from the bottom of the carburetor (after clamping off the fuel supply line), dumped out the old gas, sprayed everything with some brake cleaner and reinstalled the bowl. Put fresh gas in the tank and it started second pull.

Trying for good from afar but far from good on a '15 Forester that had an encounter with Bambi. I'm shocked at how much everything moved given the damage. I'm also shocked at how chintzy everything is on this URaBus -- it feels thinner than Focii, CRV's and even Aveos!!

Anyway I'm trying to salvage the core support and get the headlight mounts to line up. Had to pull the support forward (and ideally, right) so I booty'd an anchor point with flat bar and a link of chain to utilize the captive nuts in the support and pulled off my 2-post lift.

It's painfully obvious I'm not a body guy but I'm making due. This girl WILL hit another deer within 6 months so there's little incentive for perfection.

edit: oh and I have come-a-longs and chain hoists but what's the point? You could rip this entire car in two with just a 1" ratchet strap ;) View attachment 160766View attachment 160767View attachment 160770
This really looks like a “hold my beer” moment.

Today at work mostly trained new people. First new people in awhile but it was just two of us before we got two new ones. We had a car towed in a 2009 Prius that the owner was bringing his pet corn snake home from the vet in and lost the snake in the car so he had it towed in and wants us to find the snake. I told them I wasn’t getting near that thing if I see a snake my butt is running. I don’t fool with snakes lol. They gave it to one of the new guys to do lol. He hasn’t found it yet. Be my luck I come in tomorrow and he’s in my toolbox or something lol. Customer had it towed in so nothing would get hot or he would not get near the engine. I never thought we’d have someone coming in complaining of a lost snake lol 😂. He said rip the interior apart till you find him he is a rust orange color. I’d hate to see what his bill is going to be. So far new guy has door panels ripped off and a few other things like all the floor mats out. As long as the snake doesn’t get near me I’m ok lol. Everyone else in the shop is scared of spiders I can do spiders lol. They don’t bother me.

2003 Ford Ranger 3.0L/5R55E, 187,xxx miles, No Reverse & No 4th.

Pulled the unit, Tore it down & found the Direct Clutch blown apart....Apply Piston Return Spring Retainer blown off & the Pressure Plate blown out of the Direct Drum.
Intermediate & Overdrive Bands cooked pretty good, Overdrive Drum grooved, Sun Gear & Sunshell wore out where they spline together. Metal debris everywhere.....Called it a total loss at this point. Customer wants to install a used wreaking yard unit.

oejvwG0.jpg

6JCd4Fv.jpg

Today at work mostly trained new people. First new people in awhile but it was just two of us before we got two new ones. We had a car towed in a 2009 Prius that the owner was bringing his pet corn snake home from the vet in and lost the snake in the car so he had it towed in and wants us to find the snake. I told them I wasn’t getting near that thing if I see a snake my butt is running. I don’t fool with snakes lol. They gave it to one of the new guys to do lol. He hasn’t found it yet. Be my luck I come in tomorrow and he’s in my toolbox or something lol. Customer had it towed in so nothing would get hot or he would not get near the engine. I never thought we’d have someone coming in complaining of a lost snake lol 😂. He said rip the interior apart till you find him he is a rust orange color. I’d hate to see what his bill is going to be. So far new guy has door panels ripped off and a few other things like all the floor mats out. As long as the snake doesn’t get near me I’m ok lol. Everyone else in the shop is scared of spiders I can do spiders lol. They don’t bother me.
wow too funny.. just watch.. they tear the interior apart and they never find the snake! and no, I don't mean it got into your tool box at all.

wow too funny.. just watch.. they tear the interior apart and they never find the snake! and no, I don't mean it got into your tool box at all.
Lol yeah it’s a baby corn snake too. The way he described it as it was as thin as a pencil. My sister used to have a corn snake so I know exactly what size he is talking about lol. I better bring my running shoes tomorrow in case haha.

Back