What are you working on today?

Forget to mention that I tried to install a Fumoto F-133 drain valve in the Lexus. The valve would get tight before bottoming against the pan. Odd as the drain plug threads were longer than the valve threads.

I just re-installed the drain plug.

I can’t remember when I last changed the oil in our vehicles, and I know we have moved, I’ve doubled my commute, and I’ve been making more frequent stops at the gas station. I found my remaining stash in the garage. Haven’t found all the filters… the silence is a little eerie.

checked on the old house today. It hasn’t sold yet, so I checked every sink and utility area for any water drips and cleaned out the condensate pump, and verified the float switch functions on the hvac. All is good. Don’t like it unattended.

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Replaced radiator, radiator hoses, heater hoses/couplers and thermostat. Changed oil

2011 GMC Sierra 1500
Replaced heater hoses and couplers, rotated tires changed oil

Finished up the 2011 4L60E build.
Every late ('07 & up) 4L60E I build gets a new OE ISS Sensor as the Unit & then the Pump needs to be removed to change it!

Added a pic of a earlier 4L60E to show the changes that happened in '09.....
*3-2 Downshift Solenoid & Valve eliminated.
*Pressure Switch Manifold & Neutral Safety Switch eliminated & replaced with a Internal Mode Switch (IMS).

geUJa03.jpg

01u7Kip.jpg

rzQbF1x.jpg

03U4EqM.jpg

2yxio2F.jpg

Got car ready today for SCCA's Track Night in this Thursday at Dominion Raceway in Spotsylvania, VA...about an hour north of me. Driven it before at a few party pace lap events...will be cool to get on it.

Swapped wheels/tires. Swapped f. brake pads. Bled brakes. Replaced my 034 adjustable front end links (with the same ones)..they were starting to make noise after a year of abuse/large front sway bar. Checked wheel hardware (studs). General go-over.
20230605_204957.jpg

Well I finally FINALLY got the engine parts back for my 2003 Honda XR400R. Finished putting her together this weekend, checked the valve lash, added oil and... she fired up on the first kick! So exciting! No funny noises and no exhaust smoke. Significantly stronger compression on the kickstarter. Can't wait to get her out on the trail to make sure she is reliable, then do an oil & filter change and call it done! First 2 pics are from the teardown last November.
09.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
14.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg

Just a lot of driving and fluids check.. What will happen if I put half a quart fresh ATF into half a tank of gas ~7 gallons?
Likely not much, the catcon won’t like it but chances are any aging of it won’t be an issue until the 3rd owner. If it’s something you did or for some reason have to do, I’d fill the rest of the tank with new gas to dilute it.

wankel owners learned to dump a full quart of oil in the tank at every fillup.

The only thing I hate worse than plumbing are cheap designs and painting

I guess I got a twofer today

IMG_4793.jpeg
IMG_4794.jpeg
IMG_4802.jpeg
IMG_4804.jpeg

I ground and cleaned up the plunger seal ball, and drove the metal rod arm through and used it - just as good as the plastic that snapped.

And yep I gloved up and scraped and scrubbed the bowl. 9 years of **** and piss and scale. Smelled of strong male urine after just a week following a cleaning. No one had got all up and in there. Now fresh as a daisy!

Last edited:
2017 Dodge Grand Caravan
Replaced radiator, changed oil

Got the heads back for the 350. Installed them, installed pushrods, adjusted valves, installed valve covers, taped off intake and exhaust inlets/outlets, lifter valley and gave it a good covering of GM corporate black. Intake was hot tanked at the machine shop, painted it high temp silver and installed on engine. It's ready to be taken to the big truck shop where they're changing the engine.

Another day of not doing much at work because the work flow has been slow. I think it’s to do with our owners keep raising prices. Oil change on a 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo that thing was leaking from everywhere possible lol. The guy showed up with it and said he wanted it and his BMW done. Boss asked me which one I’d prefer to do I said the Monte Carlo any day. Customer provided his own oil and filter so he only had to pay labor for the oil changes. Which come to about $45 or so a vehicle I’m estimating but I don’t know. He ended up bringing the wrong oil filter for the BMW so we had to wait on him to drive a couple towns over to find the right one. That tied up a tech and lift because he had already drained it and threw the filter away. He would not accept our ACDelco filter from our Chevy parts department because he wanted a base model Fram that was $3 cheaper. The tech had to borrow all my tools for the BMW because he didn’t have the tool for the oil filter. The Monte Carlo wasn’t bad to do just annoying cleaning up the filter mess. We aren’t allowed to turn people away at my dealership even if say something like a Ford showed up then though it’s Toyota building we have to take them which is why we had to accept these two. Other than the Monte Carlo the only thing I did was fill up the sign holders with sand and fixed the floor machine for the 10th time. Hopefully our prices go back to normal soon so more work will come in. Our labor rate is $180 and oil change is $79.99 for the lowest price one.

Put new upper control arms and new sway bar links on wife’s 2011 Yukon. Taking in for alignment tomorrow. Want her to get a new one but they told us 4-6 months for one to come in due to dealer allocations. She is more frugal than I am and likes the base models. So now waiting for next year’s model. This hauls the grandkids.

I’m confused. How does the dyno use a permanently mounted engine? I thought the only engine in the loop was the one being tested?
The engine isn't permanently mounted, and can be easily removed with two bolts. The engine chassis is mounted on rubber blocks with four bolts to the dyno chassis. I suppose the entire unit bolted together could be called a dyno chassis.:)

Back