What are we using for chain lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ihad heard that Honda discontinued that Red can lube. Hope not. It is the best stuff they had.

And if you have a choice between the Honda moly-rich dry-film and Belray Superclean...throw the Belray away now. I have seen folks claim it is super clean, but they must be used to a super crappy wax or something, because the Super Clean if far from being super clean. It is another tackifier rich petro lube that doesn't provide protection very long, still collects dirt and grit, is hard to get off, and in lubricity tests...fails miserably compared to ANY dry-film I've tested against it.

Thanks for the input..... I have Bel-Ray Super Clean chain lube, Honda Performance chain lube and PJ1 Blue chain lube. I will probably give them all a try. I was always happy with the Honda Performance chain lube so if Bel-Ray and PJ1 don't live up to expectations I will just go back to HP.

Thanks again!

quote:

Originally posted by Jaybird:
Ihad heard that Honda discontinued that Red can lube. Hope not. It is the best stuff they had.

And if you have a choice between the Honda moly-rich dry-film and Belray Superclean...throw the Belray away now. I have seen folks claim it is super clean, but they must be used to a super crappy wax or something, because the Super Clean if far from being super clean. It is another tackifier rich petro lube that doesn't provide protection very long, still collects dirt and grit, is hard to get off, and in lubricity tests...fails miserably compared to ANY dry-film I've tested against it.

I was mistaken, my local dealer says that the Red can has been discontinued and they stock the new HP Blue can. While I do have a can of the HP Red it looks like I will not be able to get another.
frown.gif
I guess the search for a new favorite chain lube goes on. We will see how things go with the Bel-Ray and the PJ1 and I will probably also give the new HP Blue a try as well.

Thanks

Bob

[ September 11, 2005, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Bobio ]

Others have not been happy with the replacement HP Blue can lube.
I'd be happy to make other recommendations if you want to PM or E-mail me.

One thing to keep in mind on roller chains, they must depend on barrier type lubrication additives to have any sort of longevity.
Fluid film is hard to maintain in a roller chain, and the bulk of the products out there are fluid film type lubricants.

Dry-films are a much better way to provide the correct type of protection, while providing a much cleaner and easier to maintain drive.

The added benefits of high resitance to water wash-out, corrosion protection, and resistance to collecting dirt and grit, make dry-films a no brainer.

I think you will find the the Teflon lubes will indeed outlast the conventional petroleum or wax products. However, they mostly still use a wax carrier, which can be more of a dirt attractor than a solvent based dry-film.
Teflon also will NOT outlast moly and other chemo absorbed lubricants of competitor dry-films. Tends to not be as good at resisting water wash-out as well.
All that said, teflon does make a good lubricant, but like petro, it needs to be kept there or replentished.

Motorex 622 Synthetic Chain Lube

Dale has tested many chain lubes and his favorite to date is the Motorex 622 synthetic lube made in Switzerland.

This chain lube sprays on in a fine mist penetrating deep into the o-rings, x-rings and pins of the drive chain for the best possible lubrication. It resists extremely high pressures, is highly adhesive, resists fling-off, is thermaly stable and water resistant. This chain lube really reduces wear and friction big time.

Motorex 622 Synthetic chain lube comes in a large 16.9 oz. can and a convenient small 1.9 oz. refillable can to carry with you on your bike. This means you buy the small can one time and it can be refilled over and over again with the large can.
I don't know DALE and this stuff is for street only, The stuff is alittle messy, but if your going on a trip and dont want to lube the chain for 1000+ miles or longer. This stuff wears great. I had issue with keeping any kind of film on countershaft sprockets, as a result they wore at acelerated pace. This stuff cured that issue.

quote:

Originally posted by Mackelroy:
This chain lube sprays on in a fine mist penetrating deep into the o-rings, x-rings and pins of the drive chain for the best possible lubrication. It resists extremely high pressures, is highly adhesive, resists fling-off, is thermaly stable and water resistant. This chain lube really reduces wear and friction big time....
I had issue with keeping any kind of film on countershaft sprockets, as a result they wore at acelerated pace. This stuff cured that issue.

If you are running a ring chain, the lube does not penetrate to the pins of the chain. If it does, your rings have been violated.

Also, if you notice countershaft sprocket wear, it is due to either bad adjustment or the chain being stretched past safe running limits. (elongation from wear)

You are right on. All the lube does is prevent rust. Proper adjustment and a clean chain is important.

Somewhat related I guess but, just curious what others are using to clean the chain before lubing? I have used various products and have not found anything that I am really happy with.

Thanks

Bob

quote:

Also, if you notice countershaft sprocket wear, it is due to either bad adjustment or the chain being stretched past safe running limits. (elongation from wear) [/QB]

Metal to metal contact causes wear, especially counter shaft sprockets, that's why they are normally made out of forged steel , versues mild steel or aluminum on the rear sprockets. The engineering guys know the CS sprockets are under more severe stress on a motorcycle.

They do have normal wear , even adjusted correctly.

[ September 16, 2005, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Mackelroy ]

Sorry, Mackelroy...but I have to disagree with you there.
The countershaft sprocket encounters the chain rollers. They provide the pivot needed to reduce the rubbing of the two metal surfaces, especially at entry and exit of the tooths working face. At that point, there is also shock load added to friction.

But, the wear is seen at the area of the roller and the O.D. of the bushing. This area, is NOT protected from friction by the factory fill lube in a ring chain. And for that reason alone we need to provide continued lubrication to even a ringed chain.

But the fact remains, the countershaft sprocket will remain intact and workable until the point that it sees a mislaignment, or the chain provides a mismatch in pitch, due to it's elongation from wear at the pin/bushing and the roller/bushing friction points.

Now, there is more or less force put on a chains life simply by using different size sprockets. The smaller the size of the front sprocket is, the more force it has to put on the chain to generate similar ratios with larger front sprockets.
So no matter what gearing ratio you use, the larger the front sprocket you can use to obtain that ratio, the better.

On the cleaning issue... IF you decide to give dry-film lubricants a try...especially moto-specific dry-films, your cleaning problems instantaneously and forever go away.
There is no gunky, gooey takifier contained in dry-film lubricants. SO, what you find is something that can be wiped off with a rag. Or sprayed off with a light spray from a garden hose.
ANYONE and EVERYONE who dreads the chain cleaning ritual...try a dry-film and that goes away. I guarantee it.
smile.gif

quote:

On the cleaning issue... IF you decide to give dry-film lubricants a try...especially moto-specific dry-films, your cleaning problems instantaneously and forever go away.
There is no gunky, gooey takifier contained in dry-film lubricants. SO, what you find is something that can be wiped off with a rag. Or sprayed off with a light spray from a garden hose.
ANYONE and EVERYONE who dreads the chain cleaning ritual...try a dry-film and that goes away. I guarantee it.
smile.gif

So what dry-film lubricant should we use on our chains then?
dunno.gif

Jaybird, I'm intrugued by the information you've shared with us. I've got three questions of my own for you since you seem to know more than the average rider about chain care/maintenance.
1. If dry film lubricants like Moly are a key ingredient for minimizing chain/sprocket wear, then regardless of the carrier, whether it's a slow thickening type grease or thin solvent it gets the moly where it does some good; that is, between the roller and pin. If one wipes down a chain next morning to remove the excess tackified lube from the chain exterior then what advantage is there to using a solvent based moly lube? Remembering here that tackafying moly rich lubes go on thin and wick into roller/pin interface before they set up or "tackafy".
2. If it's true that o-rings need some lube of their own how does a solvent based moly lube provide that? Moly, as I understand it, is a metal to metal dry lube and should serve minimally if at all to do the orings any good.
3. Your assertion that countershaft sprockets don't wear except as a function of chain elongation due to pin/roller wear- do you have and would you share test results with numbers or do you have some other meaningful information we could examine to see for ourselves how dry film lubes are superior to what we've been using both in countershaft sprocket wear as well as chain wear?
I began reading these 2 threads about chain lubes and have to admit to coming into this with some preconceived notions but I'm ready to be convinced with data, and or factual info.

quote:

Originally posted by TxRider:
If dry film lubricants like Moly are a key ingredient for minimizing chain/sprocket wear, then regardless of the carrier, whether it's a slow thickening type grease or thin solvent it gets the moly where it does some good; that is, between the roller and pin.

You will not find a moly fortified chain lube that is full of tackifier. Moly is a polar solid, and has a natural affinity to adhere to the asperities of the metal's surfaces.
Thick petroleum lubes and waxes will often times NOT get to where they can do some good. They will often set up before the lube can reach the friction area. It is also possible for thick lubes to actually create an air pocket at the pin/bushing area, in which situation none of the lube got where it was intended to go.
Another benefit of a solvent base carrier is that it cleans the metal asperities as it is penetrating and depositing lubricating materials.

One thing I need to add JFYI...you mentioned "between the roller and pin"... the roller never comes in contact with the pin. The construction of a roller chain is two sideplates seperated by pins, around these pins are bushings, and around these bushings are the rollers.
Spocket teeth contact the rollers, rollers contact the OD of the bushings,ID of the bushings come in contact with the pins.

quote:

If one wipes down a chain next morning to remove the excess tackified lube from the chain exterior then what advantage is there to using a solvent based moly lube?

You can wipe a dry-film lube off with ease at any time.
Takified lubes are hard enough to wipe off before they set, let alone after. After the lube has set, it takes a solvent just to get it off.

quote:

If it's true that o-rings need some lube of their own how does a solvent based moly lube provide that? Moly, as I understand it, is a metal to metal dry lube and should serve minimally if at all to do the orings any good.

True, the moly will not serve to keep the rings fortified. However, a well built moto chain specific dry-film will contain other synthetic fluids that will keep the rings supple and fortified.
Moly is a very tenacious mineral when suspended in a solvent. It is quite evident that moly does indeed help with a bit of the friction caused by the rings. Roll the suspended wheel of a bike using a ring chain, then lube it with a moly-rich dry-film and spin the wheel. The difference is dramatic.

quote:

Your assertion that countershaft sprockets don't wear except as a function of chain elongation due to pin/roller wear- do you have and would you share test results with numbers or do you have some other meaningful information we could examine to see for ourselves how dry film lubes are superior to what we've been using both in countershaft sprocket wear as well as chain wear?
I began reading these 2 threads about chain lubes and have to admit to coming into this with some preconceived notions but I'm ready to be convinced with data, and or factual info.

One small bit of data that I have, is that a ring chain is constructed with a given amount of lubricant supplied to the pin/bushing area. This finite amount of lube results in the chain only being able to survive a finite amoount of hours before the lube is violated and wear begins on a grand scale. Nothing can be done to reverse the wear. The chain is soon toast.
The standard roller chain on the other hand, can last as long as the ring chain and then past that, due to the ability we have to continually lubricate the friction points.
And I know this goes against the conventional wisdom that a ring chain will out survive a standard roller chain. BUT...perhaps folks simply haven't been pulling the proper maintenance or using the correct products to enjoy the benefits of a standard chain.
I have proven this both on the bench and in the field.

I only have certified testing numbers of dry-films compared to other dry-films of similar make-up. We have never had any certified testing done in comparison of dry-films and petroleum chain lubes. We know from our in-house testing with Timkin type wear machines that there is no petro or parrafin lube on the market that can compete. I've got a shelf full of just about any popular brand chain lube on the market as well as other "all purpose" and exotic boutique lubes.
The only thing that comes close to the performance of moto specific dry-films are other dry-films of similar make-up.

One thing that may help you make a decision is to try it for yourself. I have yet to find a person who goes to a moto specific dry-film and returns to the old way.

But, let me add some more food for thought...(if that's what thought eats)
When we understand the differnce between full fluid film or "hydrodynamic" lubrication, and barrier or "boundery" lubrication it helps us to decide what is best for roller chains.
When we use a petroleum lubricant, we mostly depend on the lube to form a wedge between the metal surfaces. If this wedge is not maintained, the sharp edges of the metal will shear one another off, resulting in elongation from wear.
With no vehicle to keep the lube refreshed, petroleum lube will be useless in short order. Especially lubes like motor oil that have no heavy tackifier in them. Centrifugal force slings the lube outwards and out from the friction area.
If you do use a thick takified lube, it will contain very little lubricant to do a sufficient job for a long period of time. Comman sense tells us that the more tackifier in the lube, the less lube by volume.

When the fluid film protecting an auto engine is violated, the piston wall and the rings for example, there are barrier additives in motor oil that will take over the job of protecting the surfaces. But, with a roller chain, there is very little lube available in the first place, let alone an abundance of barrier lube to help protect, nor a vehicle to keep it refreshed.
However, when we use a dry-film, we are bypassing the hydrodynamic range of lubrication and going straight for the barrier rhelm.
The solid lubricants and chemo-absorbed fluids in dry-films are made just for the sort of situation that a roller chain encounters.
And as I stated above, the lubricants in dry-films are polar, so they need no help in adhering to the surfaces. The carrier can leave as soon as the products are distributed...and as in the case of dry-films, the solvent evaporates leaving the chain effectively lubricated, and looking dry and new.

ON SPROCKET WEAR...
I know what I know from working with chains sprockets and power transmissions for years.
I have done extensive research on the subject and what I have stated about the wear of sprocket teeth is comman engineering data. I can't give you links just now, but I can find something that will help those still in question about the wear of sprockets.
Although I did state previously that only misalignment (and/or incorrect tensioning) and elongated pitch will wear the sprockets...but there is another factor to consider, especially for those off road motorcylists. And that is dirt, grit, and mud.
Road, trail, and track debris can wear at the working faces of sprocket teeth. That is why many off road sprocket mfg's will cut recess grooves into the sprockets that serve as a mud relief.

[ September 19, 2005, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: Jaybird ]

Nice discussion but I'm still confused. I have a '97 Kawasaki VN800A amd an '02 Honda Shadow Spirit 750cc. Do they both have "O" ring chains?
If they do, what chain lube should I use? On previous older bikes, I used any motor oil I happened to have. Honda manual says use "O" ring chain lube or 80/90 gear lube. Do you think that they mean hypoid gear lube?
I sure would appreciate any help.
Doc

quote:

Originally posted by DocL:
Honda manual says use "O" ring chain lube or 80/90 gear lube. Do you think that they mean hypoid gear lube?
I sure would appreciate any help.
Doc

I've used 80/90 weight exteme pressure marine lube before, maybe good for coulple hundred miles but super messy to apply, theres really no easy way to do it out of a bottle, so not idea . But 85w140 GL 5 which is bacically what you talking about IMO had too much cleaning effect and doesn't stick well.

real chain lube is better option

[QB] Sorry, Mackelroy...but I have to disagree with you there.
The countershaft sprocket encounters the chain rollers. They provide the pivot needed to reduce the rubbing of the two metal surfaces, especially at entry and exit of the tooths working face. At that point, there is also shock load added to friction.

But, the wear is seen at the area of the roller and the O.D. of the bushing. This area, is NOT protected from friction by the factory fill lube in a ring chain. And for that reason alone we need to provide continued lubrication to even a ringed chain.

Everyone should give the dry stuff a shot just to satisfy the curiosity, I remember a couple years ago trying DRY on MC chain, But I did'nt see any fantastic results, no doubt if you want no residue on your chain it's an idea, if it starts squeaking then you know it isnt holding up too good.

Jaybird, If the chain didnt have those little cyliners to rotate meshing into the CS sprocket , it would have wear at much quicker rate. They still wear even as a Norm. We do disagree, and I sometimes wonder if you are comparing a conveyor belt chain sprockets to MC chain and sprockets , 2 very different worlds.

Being a field repair tech in the business equipment industry and working on thousands of machines over many years, I havent replaced more than a couple chains in that arena in all that time.

[ September 19, 2005, 04:19 AM: Message edited by: Mackelroy ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back