What are the current OEM partnerships for factory fill?

Does Ford still recommend BP fuel? Seems BP is not a top tier member.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231223_121727_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231223_121727_Chrome.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 24
"partnered" doesn't mean "use" (at the factory or in branded bottles). It can be nothing more than a marketing agreement.
Agree, fairly certain Ford FF is Motorcraft oil which last I checked was made by ConocoPhillips.

If your brand meets all the required specifications, and brand is willing to sell to OEM's with very low margin and can support the volumes, then same brand has a chance against all other brands that meet the same criteria. Whoever can afford to sell cheapest wins.

Ford recommends Castrol oil and even sells Castrol through dealerships outside the USA. Ford worked with Castrol to develope a specific European spec oil for the 1.0L EcoBoost engine.
The owners manual for Ireland for my wife's previous car had a couple Castrol logos in the oil section, says Castrol oil is "recommended", and included a reference to the engine "being designed with / for Castrol oils".

Is VW not Castrol anymore? I haven't paid any real attention to it but my oil cap does say Castrol on it.

It’s hard to keep up on this topic.

Subaru Idemitsu
VW castrol
Honda Conoco Phillips/mobil?
Gm mobil? corvette Mobil 1
Nissan Mobil
Toyota mobil
Ford Amalie or Conoco Phillips
Mopar/ram Pennzoil sopus
Hyundai Quaker state sopus
Kia total lubricants maybe sopus now?

Manufacturers change, suppliers more than I change brands.

Conoco Phillips, 66

Yes provider of Honda and Acura branded oil for sale at a Honda or Acura dealership.

This does not however mean it's the factory fill.

Idemitsu also makes other fluids for Honda, this comes up on the specific Honda forums all the time.

Yeah, I left my thoughts on this in the thread about early oil changes in a new car. Bottom line, does it hurt to do that? The environment, yes. The car, no. Does it really matter for longevity? I see no proof of that anywhere....
The early oil change is not so much to clean out remaining break-in debris, something that's highly dependent on the manufacturer and how much effort they put into that, but to clean out the dirt left over from the manufacturing process itself. You would think that engines are made in this clean-room like environment. Far from it. I like to do 2-3 early oil changes when I get a new vehicle. Even that is not guaranteed to remove all the dirt.

As for the environment: I'll start worrying about it when the elites and corporate world starts. It'd be a nice step in the right direction if they wouldn't manufacture every appliance, including vehicles, with planned obsolensence and absolute cheapness in mind.

On Castrol's site they proudly list being partnered with the following OEMs (https://www.castrol.com/en_us/unite...er-with-castrol/castrol-oem-partnerships.html):

Honda
Volvo
Ford
Jaguar
Land Rover
Renault/Nissan
Subaru

Toyota is tied to Exxon-Mobil and BMW switched from Castrol to Shell fairly recently.

What are the other OEM partnerships?
Interesting that they list Subaru; there’s been lots of info that Subaru oil is Idemitsu and UOAs have been loaded with about 700-900ppm moly. I don’t think Castrol makes an oil with that much moly; if they do it’s not something they sell OTC. Which would be odd IMO.

I don’t think Castrol makes an oil with that much moly; if they do it’s not something they sell OTC. Which would be odd IMO.
Castrol doesn't make that, and I doubt they ever will. Even their "custom" oils that are brand specific are just tweaks of their mainstream products. The problem with putting so much Moly in motor oil is that Moly creates deposits. So you have to formulate it in such a way that it cleans up after itself, and it does so exceedingly well.

Conoco Phillips, 66
Here is the rest of that news release which you must have missed.

Phillips 66 Lubricants recently announced that the company has signed an agreement to continue manufacturing and supplying service-fill lubricants for the American Honda Motor Co. (AHM) through 2019.

As a result of the agreement, Phillips 66 Lubricants will remain the exclusive provider for most Honda and Acura branded engine oils, lubricants and other vital fluids to dealers throughout the United States.

From a pure marketing perspective, it makes sense for a lubricant manufacturer to advertise that they are the "factory fill" for a premium brand or a particular high-end vehicle. Usually, the lubricants used in those vehicles are high-quality formulations.

However, I couldn't care less what bottom-shelf lube came in my barely-affordable econo-box. It's goind to be drained and filled with some high-quality barely-affordable motor oil, and then life goes on.

From a pure marketing perspective, it makes sense for a lubricant manufacturer to advertise that they are the "factory fill" for a premium brand or a particular high-end vehicle. Usually, the lubricants used in those vehicles are high-quality formulations.

However, I couldn't care less what bottom-shelf lube came in my barely-affordable econo-box. It's goind to be drained and filled with some high-quality barely-affordable motor oil, and then life goes on.
I think you've made your point from your very first response to this thread. Not sure why you aren't just moving along if the thread content isn't what interests you.

it makes sense for a lubricant manufacturer to advertise that they are the "factory fill" for a premium brand or a particular high-end vehicle. Usually, the lubricants used in those vehicles are high-quality formulations.
what exactly is a premium high end brand vehicle? Hyundai states they use Quaker state, there's nothing spectacular about Quaker state SOPUS oils.

what exactly is a premium high end brand vehicle?
Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes (their respective premium and high-end models). You don't care what's in your run-of-the-mill C-class, but the factory fill for an AMG vehicle is of more interest.

And then there is Rolls Royce, Bentley, McLaren Ferrari, etc, all very expensive vehicles. This is where lubricant manufacturers like to truly promote their factory fill. Because if Shell Helix Ultra works great in a Ferrari, it should do well in a Hyundai as well, right? Or you might care that Bentley uses Castrol as their factory fill, because then it'll do great in your Avalon. Silly examples, I know, but that's kind of the point of marketing.

Rich cuatomers of some of these vehicles will never care what lube runs in the engine, unless they're car enthusiasts.

[Little Edit]

I wanted to address the part about Hyundai: they have a worldwide agreement with Shell, which is almost excluse, probably with some exceptions in some markets. It's probably very lucrative for both parties as it's being going on for a very long time. There is nothing special about QS/SOPUS garden variety lubes, but they work good enough to put in a vehicle and sell it, and pasibly nurse it through the warranty period.

I believe that's all that matters to car manufacturers. It's not just about the lowest bidder, it's also about logistics. Finally, if a lubricant manufacturer isn't the factory fill for a vehicle, they can still pay the auto manufacturer to have their logo embossed on a silly oil or gas filler cap.

Last edited:
Back