What ACEA A3 oil would you recommend for '98 BMW M3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delo 15W40 CI4 plus version would be my first choice! Extremely robust oil, and a great price. My 95 325i runs smoother and better with this oil over anything else i've put in it. Here's that list,
Havoline 20W50
Kendall GT1 20W50
Rotella T 5W40 synthetic
Rotella T 15W40
Mobil 1 10W30
''''''' 15W50
Castrol GTX 20W50
German Castrol 0W30

Not necessarily. All grades of M-1 (0-40 and 15-50 (even Delvac)) were consumed in my BMW compared to Syntec 5-40/50. I'm now using GC 0-30...and have to say that consumption is still less!

I toss this up to excellent quality of M-1 oils (cough, cough)...and frequent cold starts that seem to increase consumption the thicker the oil gets...weird.

I believe that the E36 M3 engine has a 7 quart capacity sump, correct? If so I would recommend that you fill it with 5 quarts of Mobil 1 0w-40 and 2 quarts of Mobil 1 15w-50, just as ebaker suggested. Either that or use Mobil 1 T&S 5w-40 or Redline 5w-40.

Although I love the GC 0w-30 in some of my engines, when you are getting to power output levels of 85 cHP/L or more, I tend to believe that using a heavier 40 weight oil is best for protecting the engine. In fact the E46 M3 engine's recommnded oil is now a specific Castrol 10w-60.

[ April 01, 2005, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: DeaconBlue ]

quote:

Originally posted by DeaconBlue:
I believe that the E36 M3 engine has a 7 quart capacity sump, correct?

Holy crap, imagine how long it takes to heat 7qt's of oil up to operating temp?? No wonder so many of these engines fail because people have to drive for half a week to warm it up... but they dont because they cant wait 15 seconds to start ripping on it
shocked.gif

these engines dont fail on a regular basis as you might think. the m50,m52,s50 and s52 are some of the best engines ever made by BMW and are known for their bullet proof reliability and logevity.

the s54 used in the e46 m3 has had some problems however but those have been adressed. anyhow, thats besides the point since we were commenting on the e36 m3 powerplants.

I'd run a 15w-50/20w-50 synthetic for temps > 40F and a 5w-40/10w-40 synthetic for temps above 40F. I believe this is the same engine that BMW is using the SAE 10w-60 Castrol synthetic in, due to issues with lower end wear....

TS

this is not the engine that requires the 10W60 ... HE WAS ASKING ABOUT THE E36 M3(a '98 M3 to be more specific). this car uses the S52 engine. this is a 3.2 l inline-6 that makes 240 hp.

the engine that had problems was the S54 ... used in the E46 M3s(2001-current).

Lawerence,

Thanks for the clarification....

In that case, I'd stick with the 5w-40 synthetic year round, unless you drive extremely hard. Then I'd still run 20w-50 in the hotter months.

TS

Hi,
Laurence - I agree with your comments
In looking at my handbook and concerning the M3 engine the following things emerged;
1 - ACEA's A3/B3 specification is most important
2 - oil temps are typically between 80-120C but should not be allowed to exceed 130C
(My Z3 2.8(M52 Vanos) oil temps are usually around 100-105C even with an ambient at 38C (100f) and long runs at 100mph)
3 - for the temps mentioned by TLK the following grades emerge;
15w-40 (mineral oil - 5f to 100f+)
Special Oils Listed - synthetics - 10w-XX above 5f and up to 100f+, and,
Special Oils listed - synthetics - 0w or 5w-XX for below -20f to 100f+

Despite his "mid range" oil consumption and considering the oil temperature range a synthetic 5w-40 HDEO will perform very well in this engine - in his climate. Most far exceed the ACEA A3/B3 specifications and have an excellent HTHS viscosity which may be critical to valve gear longevity in these engines

I used M1 0w-40 from new in my car but it was simply too noisy at start up for my liking so I now use a 5w-40 synthetic HDEO

As they NEVER recommended a xxW-50 oil for use in these wonderful engines Castrol's excellent "R" 10w-60 (pour point around -42C)IMHO is simply too viscous but it may control excessive oil use if that becomes an issue

Regards
Doug

Hi Rick,
don't tell anybody but I overnight between here (Airlie Beach) and Brisbane quite often - every four/six weeks or so. My fastest average is 112kmh over the 1100kms in the Porsche

The roads north of Maryborough and after Rockhampton to here are fast. The Kangaroos always keep the senses alive and well however and the Truckies let me know about the "double bubble" boys en-route!

Please keep it to yourself though and I'll never do it again - promise!
Well.........just maybe once more!!

But I must admit my reactions are now a little slower at 66 than they were at 36!

Regards
Doug
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back