Went to Jiffy Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CKN
I just had the oil changed at a local tire place that has an Insta-Lube attached. It was on my wife's 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe XL with the 3.3. motor/6 quarts of oil with a cartridge filter. $38.00 after a $5.00 discount. I'm not complaining!

Who pays to have their oil changed? You should be driving a Crown Vic or Corolla from Craigslist and changing the oil in your driveway with oil and Super-Tech filters that you drove around town scouring from the Wal-Mart clearance aisle.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by 69GTX
I'm still working on my 3 yr oil and filter stash. About a year or more left. I've been enjoying doing $6 oil changes with QS high mileage semi-synthetic and Fram Ultra Guards. The oil was basically free during a previous AAP clearance.

No it wasn't free. That's the nonsense that goes on here. It took your time, fuel and whatever you paid for it.

Actually it was free. I got $50 in SOPUS rebates on about 53 quarts of oil that I paid approx $35 for. I only made a couple of stops for it....and it was on the way to other places I was shopping. Yeah, the oil WAS FREE....without question. They paid me to buy it. Plenty of members here have gotten free oil after deducting their expenses to go and get it. The rebate naysayers can pound sand.

Having a family member that lives several hours away, I made similar discoveries when having them inquire about getting thier oil and filter changed there. JL pricing was not bashful, ie., relatively high. It was very similar to topic pricing, and synthetic was going to be preference. Here's one other factor, the filter used with the synthetic is not a 'premium' oil filter. It's a standard jobber tier filter with nitrile adbv, so doesn't match the synthetic oci capability imo.

This post not intended as a bash of JL. Just as a point of information, and surprise at pricing. As an aside, noticed yesterday a new construction JL store nearing or at completion locally. Looking at it, thinking it cost some serious $$$$ to build.

Stated above: "...or they just drive the carp out of the vehicle and do NO service or maintenance and wait until it dies and buy another one."

This is THE WAY.

Some math.

Figure an above average usage truck would put 20K miles/year. (average is 15K)

Lets say you get 10K miles / oil change with a good synthetic.

Regular Walmart cost for 6 qts of Pennzoil platinum and a decent filter would run ~ $30. Not including rebates or clearance sales for simplicity.

So that's call it $75/ oil change you would save doing it your self (juffy lube $105 - DIY$30) or $150/year.

I'm 100% absolutely certain that most people waste more than $150/year ($12/month) for convenience. Meals out, fancy coffee, not shopping insurance rates, not shopping gasoline prices, etc.

Yes I avoid Jiffy lube and others like the plague but it is mainly because I want to be sure I get quality work not so much because of price. Overtightened oil filters and drain plugs are my biggest problems with them.

Co-worker's kid just got a job at a JL. Is super proud of him. Lets the whole office know about it.

Heck, I'm proud of him too. Now I don't have to fake a smile and entertain them asking me for an oil change every 6mos.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Isn't there one of these threads every couple of weeks ? Newsflash # 1: If you pay someone else to do some work, it's gonna cost more ! Newsflash # 2: The price is not too high or else people wouldn't be paying it.

This is what people don't understand. The service places don't care. They have people lined up waiting to get in.

I hate quickie lubes.
Sometimes I go out to an Italian restaurant and pay $15 for a plate of lasagne.
I guess I am wasting $$...

All good.

Originally Posted by JustinH
Heck, even a ford quick lane will service most cars for $34.99 including rotation.

~$45 after tax for the dealer "works" package, semi-synth oil, tire rotation, and the general fluid fill ups and inspections. I don't have to get dirty, raise the car, or be outside during hot/freezing weather. Drop the car off at night and pick it up the next morning when they're done with paperwork.

Understandable that $100 for a full synthetic oil change is overpriced, but so is a $10 plate of pasta at olive garden.

Originally Posted by thooks
Isn't there one of these threads every couple of weeks ? Newsflash # 1: If you pay someone else to do some work, it's gonna cost more ! Newsflash # 2: The price is not too high or else people wouldn't be paying it.

This is what people don't understand. The service places don't care. They have people lined up waiting to get in.

Less and less actually. The web has done a great job of confirming consumers belief that most shops are thieving crooks and incompetent as well. It HAS driven away a lot of their business over the past decade or more. Thus they try and soak the remaining suckers for more money when they come in, which is driving away the remaining customers as many just don't have the cash to pony up. As far as I am concerned if there ever was an industry that deserved to die it is the auto repair business.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by thooks

Less and less actually. The web has done a great job of confirming consumers belief that most shops are thieving crooks and incompetent as well. It HAS driven away a lot of their business over the past decade or more. Thus they try and soak the remaining suckers for more money when they come in, which is driving away the remaining customers as many just don't have the cash to pony up. As far as I am concerned if there ever was an industry that deserved to die it is the auto repair business.

You probably don't understand the concept of those with problems post on the "web" and those who are satisfied do not. What a diatribe. What mechanic messed you over? Share it with us......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back