Castrol at the Iffy-Lube???

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a Buddy(i'm sure we all do, or sibling,cousin, child, etc..) that doesn't remember to do things like...change the oil in his cars...so I usually end up changing it for him.

he's Currently driving My old Neon, which really belongs to his Mom/Brother, but Brother left it at his place when he went into the army last year. (he's driving it b/c it's A/C works, and it doesn't in his car.)
anywho, when i went to visit him recently I asked if he'd had the oil changed in either car, since I did it in April '17. "Was it that long ago?!" he's been in and out of the hospital after a surgery lately, so i've been visiting more lately, but haven't really felt like dragging my ramps and tools the 100mi to his place.....

he was coming up here yesterday to "supervise" some work at his mom's property, I reminded him about the oil situation, told him to just take it to the Walmart near his house. (advertising QS in their TLE).

he gets up here, and complains about the $70 oil change... What, $70? Wally's like $19.99?.. "Well, i was on my way there, and saw a jiffy lube, and thought why not?, they guy talked me into the mid grade oil change.."
mid grade? you mean Synthetic Blend? "Yeah, that's what he said! Synthetic blend!... but they vacuumed out the car, and for an extra $3 topped off all the other fluids"

then I notice the sticker they put on the windshield has a big Castrol logo on it right under the Jiffy Lube Logo...

Jiffy Lube is Owned By Royal Dutch Shell... they "always" featured Sopus oils (Pennzoil, QS)...now this one is using their competitor's product? what's going on?

Last edited:
The Jiffy Boob's up here have Pennzoil and Quakerstate oil advertised in the windows. I have a change place not far from me. Maybe they are carrying Castrol to meet certain OE specs on certain vehicles and they provided them with the stickers ???

Last edited:
Probably was the low bid.
The last time that I went to the local iffy here, they put TropArctic in my car (despite all the Pennzoil signage.)
Never have been back, and it had nothing to do with the Phillips 66 oil.

What exactly is this "very picky about oil" you speak of? This does not make sense to me?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by earlyre
but they vacuumed out the car, and for an extra $3 topped off all the other fluids"

That made it a bargain! haha
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Chris142
Many people are very picky about oil. At least they are here. They likely stock Castrol for the sopus haters that still think pz and qs cause sludge.

I tend to think 90% of the people that go to the quick change oil places,
could care less what oil they use, you have all heard these types comment that oil is oil what difference does it make.

This view will offend many posters, but IMO the chances are that the difference in oil brand/type will have a minimal, if any impact on the engines longevity.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I've seen M1 advertised at Jiffy Lube too
crazy2.gif

A friend of mine is the manager of a Jiffy Lube, and they do actually keep some M1 on hand just because they occasionally get people that will insist on nothing but M1. They don't advertise it though. This is a franchise location, a corporate owned location might not be allowed to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back