Jiffy Lube admits pouring used oil down the drain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I thought used oil actually worth something.

Used oil is pretty worthless. Actually, it costs money to dispose of it so it's less than worthless. They probably did this to save on the disposal fee

Our shop is paid for our used oil. A truck comes by and sucks it out of our tanks and drives off. The company called Newalta does this. AND some used oil is burned next door to heat the car wash.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Costs us about $3 per gallon to dispose of used oil here.

That sounds about right, depending on where you are at. When I had my used car business disaster, one of the local full service oil companies would charge about $75 to pick up a bbl of old oil, and drop me a clean bbl. That was about five or six years ago.

Used oil is the bargain spot of hazardous waste disposal because it can be recycled or burned as a fuel. There is no excuse for not disposing of it in a safe, legal, manner. I would think Jiffy Lube could generate a large enough waste stream to get somebody reputable to remove it for free, unless they were careless and let it get adulterated with some other fluid / waste.

The last large real estate project I did, I had to legally dispose of about 35-40 bbls of old industrial precursors and solvents. Safety Kleen charged an average of about $800/bbl to remove and incinerate that stuff, IIRC. A lot of the drums had never even been opened, and the contents were likely as good as the day they were made, but off to the incinerator they went.

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy

Used oil is pretty worthless. Actually, it costs money to dispose of it so it's less than worthless. They probably did this to save on the disposal fee

Virginia does, or did, offer a 50% tax credit on waste oil heating equipment (that's 50% of what the equipment costs that you don't pay on income taxes) if you accept used oil from the public.

I imagine that could add up to some real savings for a large shop.

Horrible. I literally just got off the road from a quick trip to Austin and back, makes me sick to hurt such a beautiful city and natural area. Bigger fines, and make the management personally responsible. The comments on the article are correct, it's just a drop in the bucket for them and companies like this will continue to violate to save a penny.

The honda dealer where I bought our honda heats the service bays of the dealership all winter with the waste oil from oil changes. With the doors opening and shutting all day at anywhere from -10 to -35C all winter, I often wondered why more Jiffy lubes in town don't do it. One owner told me that around here, they get paid for their used oil.

Kragen Auto Parts used to give out 50 cents off anything in the store coupons for each gallon of used oil brought in, and you could combine the coupons. Probably got some incentives for offering the service, and also brought customers back into the store. Nevermind that the employees had to eat their lunches less than a yard from a dirty seeping tank of harmful chemicals...just can't win
frown.gif

Now they'll buy 300,000 oil filters from China to save a $1 a filter and then pass the low quality filters on to their customers.
banana2.gif

They can even skimp on oil too and use some bulk non-detergent SA rated oil.
57.gif
They'll be profitable again in no time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back