Welp my truck just "dropped" a lifter

I was driving home and I accelerated through a yellow light (that I couldn't have stopped in time anyways). I got out of the truck, and heard a noticable tick that wasn't there when I left work.
I shut the truck off, and fired it back up still ticking. I called a good friend of mine who is a gm master tech, and he confirmed my suspicion. He said I caught it really early , and sounds more like a "weak" lifter, but will collapse at any time, and most likely do more damage including wiping a cam lope, and bending a rod. I had it towed, but this still sucks.
It's a 14 GMC Sierra with the 6.2 with 91,000 I have the afm disabled with a range obd2 plug in.
Thanks for reading I just needed to vent.

I was driving home and I accelerated through a yellow light (that I couldn't have stopped in time anyways). I got out of the truck, and heard a noticable tick that wasn't there when I left work.
I shut the truck off, and fired it back up still ticking. I called a good friend of mine who is a gm master tech, and he confirmed my suspicion. He said I caught it really early , and sounds more like a "weak" lifter, but will collapse at any time, and most likely do more damage including wiping a cam lope, and bending a rod. I had it towed, but this still sucks.
It's a 14 GMC Sierra with the 6.2 with 91,000 I have the afm disabled with a range obd2 plug in.
Is it well understood what causes the lifters to fail?

Do you have to pull the head to change an AFM lifter?

I changed out lifters on an old 307 some years ago, and it was pretty easy. The heads stayed in place.

That sucks. Are you going to delete the AFM?
Not at this time. I don't have the extra funds to do so.
Do you have to pull the head to change an AFM lifter?

I changed out lifters on an old 307 some years ago, and it was pretty easy. The heads stayed in place.
Yes you have to pull the head to replace the lifters in this truck.
Is it well understood what causes the lifters to fail?
Afm is what most everyone believes to cause lifter failure. Especially in GM's.

You've probably seen it, but have you seen how people unstick the lifters through the lifter oil passage? Looks pretty easy to try.

On a side note I just took an oil sample to send into the lab like 600 miles ago, so I'm interested if I'll see anything on that to indicate a possible failure. I'm still learning how uoa work, and how to read them. This is my first one.

Honestly no I haven't actually. I'm only going to be out parts, and probably a 30 pack lol I'll just slap new ones in, and roll.
I’ve never done it, but it looks easy and cheap. This guy does a budget AFM delete at the same time. All he has left is to tune it out. I do know a fair amount of people find the valley plate is loose, but I’m not sure if that is related to the lifter collapsing.

Not at this time. I don't have the extra funds to do so.

Yes you have to pull the head to replace the lifters in this truck.

Afm is what most everyone believes to cause lifter failure. Especially in GM's.
How much extra $$/time does it take to do the AFM delete? A set of lifters and head gaskets can’t be cheap. This is a big job, I would do it completely, if your intent is to ultimately delete the AFM.

With new lifters, make certain you break them in properly (assembly lube, run them in at 2,000 RPM for 20 minutes, or whatever the service information looks like) or you can potentially eat up the cam.

How much extra $$/time does it take to do the AFM delete? A set of lifters and head gaskets can’t be cheap. This is a big job, I would do it completely, if your intent is to ultimately delete the AFM.

With new lifters, make certain you break them in properly (assembly lube, run them in at 2,000 RPM for 20 minutes, or whatever the service information looks like) or you can potentially eat up the cam.
All LS engines use roller lifters. No break in is necessary, but it's probably worth cleaning the new lifters and soaking them in oil before assembly.

All LS engines use roller lifters. No break in is necessary, but it's probably worth cleaning the new lifters and soaking them in oil before assembly.
Thanks - I’m pretty old school when it comes to V-8s. All the cams I’ve done were pre-roller lifters. Break in process really mattered with flat tappets

I thought the lifters only failed when the engine went from 6 or 4 cylinders to all 8. If that is true, and you have the Range AFM Delete module installed, how did this lifter fail since it never left V8 status, and never collapsed the lifters?

Have your GM buddy do an AFM delete and use the factory LS9 cam and LS7 lifters. Get a towing tune for it and you’ll fall in love all over again with your truck!!

Sorry about your issues. It has mentioned before the Range does nothing but deactivates the AFM features. The parts are still there (as you well know). The website "Texas Speed" as been mentioned before for AFM delete kits.
Good luck!

I thought the lifters only failed when the engine went from 6 or 4 cylinders to all 8. If that is true, and you have the Range AFM Delete module installed, how did this lifter fail since it never left V8 status, and never collapsed the lifters?
That's not the case.

Dang GM. No, because the LT has the DI lobe on the cam. Not sure if the supercharged LT cam is a direct swap, but that would be the one to check out if you’ve got the LT. The supercharged cam has good valve timing for torque down low, and that’s what you don’t want to lose. If you went with one of the high-revving naturally aspirated cams, you’d hate it because the truck would feel like a dog pretty much all the time.

Dang GM. No, because the LT has the DI lobe on the cam. Not sure if the supercharged LT cam is a direct swap, but that would be the one to check out if you’ve got the LT. The supercharged cam has good valve timing for torque down low, and that’s what you don’t want to lose. If you went with one of the high-revving naturally aspirated cams, you’d hate it because the truck would feel like a dog pretty much all the time.
Thank you for the info! I'm doing some research on it right now.

Back