Welp my truck just "dropped" a lifter

Perhaps what should be demanded by consumers of their elected officials, is to subject any and all EPA regs to cost/benefit analyses.
And yes I'm very serious about that. It needs to be done.
Then maybe someone can explain to me, just what is the benefit to me, in having to buy a calif emissions vehicle. Because I tell you that when it comes time to replace the cat converter, this is what I learned:
49 state $1,100
Calif emissions $3,800
now explain to me exactly what is the benefit, can you even measure it?
Not to go OT but we have a GM with P0420 and you know the dealer solution is to replace everything to the tune of $2800.

Since PA it is allowed to replace a CA cat with a fed. Someone here said the car will still throw a code if you do that. I’m gonna do the one I/M category not ready is ok, cos EVAP takes 700-1200 to be ready and the check engine usually is back.

There are a list of states NY CO ME etc where if the factory installed a CA cat you can’t replace it with a Fed.

Not to downplay it I still feel for the OP and hopes his car is fixed at some reasonable cost. I’m a GM fanboy and I want a 6.2 in our next car.

And just how much fuel is saved vs the spectre of outrageous repair costs?
Exactly, as an owner you're only one mpg/technology failure away from loosing decades of fuel savings in dollars. In reality, there's probably a net loss in environmental benefit with these failures/repairs also.

And just how much fuel is saved vs the spectre of outrageous repair costs?
DFM has proven far more reliable. When you look at the sheer number of trucks-then look at those with issues it's a decimal point followed by many zeros....

Not sure what to think. I have read everything about cam/lifter problems on late model Hemis and never got a definitive explanation cause or solution. Mines been fine but it’s the early pre VVT version.

That is a false statement. It is so absurd (unlike you I may add) that I am not even going to argue it or provide links.
Is it absurd? Why are there delete kits?

Why is the market so full of solutions for component failures of this system?

I am willing to bet the OP doesn’t consider the system reliable.

I would welcome links to show the statistical likelihood of failure.

Make sure you join hands when you sing Kumbaya...............
You said that you had links. If you’ve got data that supports your contention about the reliability of the system, then, please share it.

Going down the road of ad hominem arguments, including this one, isn’t supporting your position.

And yet, with all the new technology, it appears that they have achieved about the same level of reliability as the old V8-6-4
It’s time to reintroduce the Seville.

IMG_5118.jpeg

We do an average of 8-10 of these a month and the new OEM parts don't mean it won't happen again.
They have been using the new system since 2019. How many trucks are on the road with this tech? In 2019 the Silverado sold a half million units. You can extrapolate the sales to the end of this year. As I mentioned-it's a decimal point followed by many zeros. Any new tech gets bashed on here-either the guys are afraid of it-or based on the few comments above-don't understand it.

And to top it off-this dead horse has been discussed on here many times before. The "really new topic/threads" on this forum are all most non-existent.

Is it absurd? Why are there delete kits?

Why is the market so full of solutions for component failures of this system?

I am willing to bet the OP doesn’t consider the system reliable.

I would welcome links to show the statistical likelihood of failure.
And disabler plug-ins … One of my engineers has 160k trouble free on 0W20 - but, I did the Range plug-in at 60k and switched to 5W30 - Worry it will not make 200k (my goal) …

They have been using the new system since 2019. How many trucks are on the road with this tech? In 2019 the Silverado sold a half million units. You can extrapolate the sales to the end of this year. As I mentioned-it's a decimal point followed by many zeros. Any new tech gets bashed on here-either the guys are afraid of it-or based on the few comments above-don't understand it.

And to top it off-this dead horse has been discussed on here many times before. The "really new topic/threads" on this forum are all most non-existent.
I agree with you. I have not had to do anything later than 2018....but we can all agree that prior to that there are issues and it doesn't stop at the trucks as we've seen C6 Corvettes in for the issue as well. Replacement parts are not improved designs.