Well, my stash just hit 100 quarts. Is that a lot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had around 100 quarts in the stash back in 2012. That was the "free" after rebate year for Valvoline Next Gen. 5 quart jugs for $1.20 (the sales tax). Gave some to friends, had three cars at the time. Stash is down to around 30 quarts now, looking for some deals. Just bought Super Tech 5w20 @ Walmart for $8.98 for a 5 quart jug. I believe that deal is still going on. Bought 4 jugs, so I guess the stash is back up to 50 quarts. I would love to find free or nearly free oil for my Accords. 5W-30 minimum. Tempted to run the 5w-20 in those, but I think that is just too thin.

I enjoy the hobby. Just gave a buddy 8 oil filters for his mid '90's Chevy Tahoe, I used to have a Chevy Astro that took that size and had no used for them. The guy was very happy. Saved him a few bucks.

I will never pay retail for oil or filters again either.

25 gallons of oil and only 3 cars ... Yeah, Id say that is a bit much. I try to stay below 5 gallons for the family stuff.

Ranch stuff is a little different in that it comes in drums or buckets, but still try to keep it down.

Look ahead. You are now covered until 2050 at least. Just stop buying ...
laugh.gif

I’m not far off … but buying for 7 vehicles … toss in ATF and I’m north of century mark …
If AZ would of had anything year end, there would be more …

I don't have a large oil inventory in my garage, probably only about 10 quarts. But there is an unopened jug of Pennzoil 5w-30 dino on the shelf, which I must have bought for a car I don't currently own. And probably haven't owned for maybe 10 years.

That oil is a kind of strategic reserve. If somebody visits my house and informs me they are a quart low for some reason, I will use that to deal with the crisis.
laugh.gif

Sounds just right to me and a good way to fight against rising costs of maintenance.

....although, without the companion filters ready to go stashed away as well, having just the oil isn't really enough.

UD

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
I picked up a Mobil 1 jug + filter at Autozone for $29.99 to get the $17 rebate today at lunch. I keep up with my stash in a spreadsheet and realized that I just went over 100 quarts. I should probably stop now. I'm curious though: is 101 quarts small potatoes on BITOG? Or is that a lot? FWIW, I maintain 4 cars and only buy oil when I come across a clearance or an awesome rebate.

How many full oil changes is that for all 4 vehicles? Are you Franken brewing those 10w-30 & 40s?

No, no mixing so far. I just bought the 10W40 in January and haven't used any yet. I definitely plan to use the 10w40 on my Son's Santa Fe. The manual specs up to 20W50 depending on outside temperature. I live in Texas, so 10W40 will be perfect. I've run 10W40 Maxlife in it before. I may also use it in my daughter's Trailblazer, but I'm not positive. I may mix it with a thinner oil in that application. Other than that, no plans to mix.

I've got about 4-5 OCIs for my Highlander (0w20). I have about 4 each for my other vehicles. The Tacoma takes 6 quarts and the Trailblazer takes a whopping 7 quarts.

I picked up a Mobil 1 jug + filter at Autozone for $29.99 to get the $17 rebate today at lunch. I keep up with my stash in a spreadsheet and realized that I just went over 100 quarts. I should probably stop now. I'm curious though: is 101 quarts small potatoes on BITOG? Or is that a lot? FWIW, I maintain 4 cars and only buy oil when I come across a clearance or an awesome rebate.

If you have 101 quarts you need help.

My stash is on the shop shelf there always is a sale somewhere.

Originally Posted By: DutchBrad

I will never pay retail for oil or filters again either.

That is my goal as well!

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Sounds just right to me and a good way to fight against rising costs of maintenance.

....although, without the companion filters ready to go stashed away as well, having just the oil isn't really enough.

UD

Lol. Yeah, I didn't mention my filter stash...

To sum it up, I don't feel like I'm a hoarder. I use the oil. I don't hoard it. I feel like I'm a cheap SOB who really likes to get good deals when he comes across them. I mentioned before that I buy pairs of shoes this way. My wife makes fun of me, but I buy athletic shoes on clearance and never pay more than $30 for good brands, while she waits until she needs shoes and pays $70-ish.

And at least oil won't go bad in the 3 or so years it takes me to use it. This reminds me of a funny story. Back when I was in my 20s, a friend lived with me while he was building a house. He drank Dr. Pepper every day. One day, he noticed that the 2 liter DPs all had $.30 coupons on them. The store price was $.95. We waited until they had their triple coupon day and bought 90 of them for 5 cents each using the coupons on the labels. We filled my back bedroom with 2 liters of Dr. Pepper. :) Unfortunately, we didn't realize the 2 liter bottles go flat within a few months. Blechhh. We ended up throwing out 20-30 of them at the end.

Last edited:
I have a good friend that comes over and helps with my house if need be with certain things. He never takes no money but I have four 5 quart jugs of Valvoline Maxlife 10W30 that I got for $11.00 a jug at the moment paired with 4 Purolator Classics to change the oil in his 2000 Jeep 4.0L when he comes over. He does appreciate it paired with free food & BEER. Not gonna say I dont have an oil stash for myself though. Little things in life.

Dale

UD

Solid stash.

UD

UD

Solid stash.

UD

Thanks. :)

Several of the filters for the Trailblazer, Santa Fe and Highlander were Frams purchased for less than $.50 at a Tractor Supply closeout sale. My frugal-ness carries over into filters as well. I've only used Toyota OEM filters for my Tacoma since new, but I recently bought a case of 10 for $34.50 shipped. That seems like a good price for OEM filters. Plus, my brother-in-law has the same truck so I gave a few to him.

Seems like a lot, but, if I look at my fleet I should be going through at least 40qt a year. I'd be tempted to stock up if I could get a great price.

Originally Posted By: supton
Seems like a lot, but, if I look at my fleet I should be going through at least 40qt a year. I'd be tempted to stock up if I could get a great price.

Yep, it’s 40 for my 7 … and don’t even have a diesel …

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Originally Posted By: supton

Yep, it’s 40 for my 7 … and don’t even have a diesel …
Neither do, and I only have 3 vehicles!

When I have 1 years worth I stop buying. We don't normally have super sales anyways so there's no point in going crazy.
Same with filters, 1 goes for a year now so no point in buying even 2 of them with the age of our cars.

friends used to think i was nuts when i bought a case of oil back in the late 80s (for no other reason than it saved me a trip to the store). And that was when dino oil (i always used pennzoil) was $.97 per quart at wal-mart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back