Well, I'm Still Using Long-Life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe it or not, the very day before I learned about Shell reformulating Long-Life, I purchased a couple gallons of the stuff to change the oil in a few vehicles.

Well, I immediately noticed it was definitely lighter in color than the previous Long-Life I have purchased, but thought nothing of it at the time...until the next day!

Anyway, flash forward to now.

I don't know what Shell has done to Long-Life, and although I've noticed no difference in feel or sound in comparison to the moly enriched version, oil consumption is EVEN LESS!

The reason I was so happy I made the switch to Long-Life in the first place was because of how much it reduced consumption in comparison to other oils. Well, the "new" Long-Life reduces consumption even more, and by quite a large amount.

I was using around 1qt. every 3,000 miles (drastically more before switching over to Long-Life), but now I'm around 2,000 miles into this drain interval and have used a mere 1/4qt (which is absolutely GREAT for my 'ol bad valve seal 4.3L V-6)!!!

This is the only "machine" I've documented oil consumption in with the "new" stuff, but my brother has also noticed lower consumption as well in comparison to the "old" oil in his car.

I'm very happy and am sticking with Long-Life.

Jelly.

[ July 06, 2004, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

I was going to try LL because it looked so good as far as additives go, but I'm a bit upset now with the new formula. I was also going to try Motorcraft HD oil, but can't find it. As of now, the next interval oil in my LS1 will be Schaeffer's HD oil. The package is super-duper and it's 25% PAO!
cheers.gif

It has also shown very good results in LS1s.

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
Believe it or not, the very day before I learned about Shell reformulating Long-Life, I purchased a couple gallons of the stuff to change the oil in a few vehicles.

Well, I immediately noticed it was definitely lighter in color than the previous Long-Life I have purchased, but thought nothing of it at the time...until the next day!

Anyway, flash forward to now.

I don't know what Shell has done to Long-Life, and although I've noticed no difference in feel or sound in comparison to the moly enriched version, oil consumption is EVEN LESS!

The reason I was so happy I made the switch to Long-Life in the first place was because of how much it reduced consumption in comparison to other oils. Well, the "new" Long-Life reduces consumption even more, and by quite a large amount.

I was using around 1qt. every 3,000 miles (drastically more before switching over to Long-Life), but now I'm around 2,000 miles into this drain interval and have used a mere 1/4qt (which is absolutely GREAT for my 'ol bad valve seal 4.3L V-6)!!!

This is the only "machine" I've documented oil consumption in with the "new" stuff, but my brother has also noticed lower consumption as well in comparison to the "old" oil in his car.

I'm very happy and am sticking with Long-Life.

Jelly.

That is strange! I have always had much greater consumption with Rotella T (The New Pennz-LL) than I have with Delo 400 or Delvac 1300. The Rotella just seems to flat give up at around 15,000 mi.

Gene

offtopic.gif
Gene K - indeed no need to quote the whole previous thread.
offtopic.gif

Jelly - although it is early in my 50/50 test, I must admit that after some miles, and rigorous warm day high speed trailer pulling, I saw ZERO movement on the dipstick. I can't say this about straight Amsoil 15W-40. Not sure why...but I agree with the theory of the more the oil gets closer to the end of a designed OCI (useful life) the more consumption increases. Nonetheless, I'll be watching.

quote:

Originally posted by Gene K:
That is strange! I have always had much greater consumption with Rotella T (The New Pennz-LL) than I have with Delo 400 or Delvac 1300. The Rotella just seems to flat give up at around 15,000 mi.

Gene,

Before making the switch to Long-Life, and among the many various lubes I tried, I did indeed use Rotella-T 15w-40.

Consumption was still much higher than it is with Long-Life...

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
I did indeed use Rotella-T 15w-40. Consumption was still much higher than it is with Long-Life...

Maybe something to do with the reformulation for CI-4? Maybe I should try it again?

Gene

Jelly if you are right it is not Rotella T.

It might however be Shell Rimula.

It has a higher viscosity at the mid point in the curve than Rotella which would reduce consumption.

Gene

The new Long Life formulation is not the same as Rotella T but pretty darn close to the Rimula. For those not up to date on Rimula, it's basically the formula that Texaco use to call URSA Super Plus. Long Life is still a very good oil, but I have received no reason why the formulation was changed. I personally wish they had left it alone.

Johnny - I emailed Pennzoil last month or so and never got an answer.

Can you PLEASE decipher the date coding system on the 15W-40LL quart bottles?

I have all kinds of dates I think on my qts (they all "look" dark).....

This is in relation to my 50/50 Amsoil/Pennzoil homebrew.

I was going to switch my Olds that was running LL 15W40 for the last few intevals to LL 10W30 this interval. However, now that I started towing with this car, I decided I would stick with a 15W40 to help keep the consumption down, since I tow in Drive and the car's highway RPM's are significantly higher.

Since I read about the LL reformulation on this site, I decided Delvac 1300 15W40 would be a better choice. However, Wal-Mart in this area stopped carrying this oil. It took me about 10 minutes to explain to the Auto department manager what Delvac 1300 was. He kept thinking I was looking for a Mobil 1 product, and continued to show me the 5W30, 10W30 and 15W50 Mobil 1 on the shelves. Once he finally understood what I was talking about, he claimed that they no longer stock Delvac (or Delvac 1), and he couldn't get any for me.

So, since Rotella and LL are the only two other HDEOs in this area, I decided to go with the LL 15W40 again this interval. I changed the oil on the car a couple of days ago, and I definitely noticed the difference in colour. It is much lighter than the old LL, which tended to be dark for a virgin oil. The new stuff is barely visible on the dip stick.

I also noted that the bottle says that it contains "Pure Base", which is Pennzoil's name for group II+, right? Rotella is only a Group II is it not?

If I notice any difference in consumption I will report it the forum.

quote:

Originally posted by SKUNKY:
Ok...I bought 4 gal. of the LL before the news...have they changed the amount of zinc, etc...or just took out the moly ??

They took out the boron too.

http://pzlqs.com/Tech/Bulletin//DomesticMarketing/ProductApplications/pdf/p70.pdf

Sorry, I can't find the VOA on the forum for the old LL SL?

For my Auto-RX rinse, I'm running a brew of 3 quarts LL and 1.5 quarts Pennzoil 5w-30 in my '99 2.5l Ranger.

I'm assuming it's the new LL, because the color was much lighter than the 5w-30. I hammer on the truck pretty hard to get it up to freeway speeds, and the motor definitely seems less "coarse" now.

mr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back