weedeater

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to buy a new weedeater/grass trimmer. I would like to buy an Echo, but the one I want is $269 at Home Depot(biggest motor). Are they worth it? I will use it to trim around the house and a 80 yd long and 5 yd wide ditch. I seen a Toro at HD, are these good? Thanks.

If you want an Echo, go to an echo dealer and buy a professional model like a 2600 series. Stihl fs 85 series is another good choice. If you want a good trimmer that will stay together and last years you will spend a little money for it.

I looked at the Stihl FS 55 and 85. They are nice but the line housing was hard for my wife to take apart. Do they make one of those housings that the short lines push into for the Stihl?

GO with the Stihl, I've been down the road with cheaper equipment and it just makes the stuff you need more expensive.

Stihl products are good. But as some others said, go to a small engine/equipment dealer. Don't go to Home Depot or similar. You will pay the same price and get better service at the small engine dealer.

Love my Stihl "FS-72" commercial trimmer and "Farmboss" chain saw ....Run a 100:1, ISO-L-EGD synthetic two stroke in both - mixed at that ratio.

Tooslick

Today I looked at Ace Hardware at an Echo SRM-210S. They have an on site factory trained tech. Any experiences w/ AH ?

have you considered looking at the honda 4 strokes? not at all like the ryobi stuff. it has a mini oil pump so you can hold upright while edging sidewalks and driveways without oil starvation. still waiting for my old homelite straight shaft "zip start" to die to buy one though. i have always had good luck w/ the homelite stuff, although i beleive they really aren't made for professional or commercial use. we all know about honda reliability. i think the downside is that the current 4 stroke weedeaters tend to be on the heavy side.

[ March 16, 2004, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: penzdude ]

Ace wont have any pro models. If you only can afford a lower priced trimmer then get it. If you can spend a little more then go to a stihl or echo dealer. Tell us what you decide.

Ok, I haven't got one yet , but it was a SRM-260S, not 210. I hope to get one this fri or sat -if my purchase request gets approved by the finance dept. (wife).
bowdown.gif

The Stihl dealer did not seem too motivated the day I went, I had to ask him questions from across the store. The owner of the Ace Hardware came over to me, wanted to help and gave me an Echo catalog. I really like the data on the Echo SRM-260S. The info reads like a hot rod.
grin.gif
Four bolt head, fully caged needle bearings, hard chromed cylinder,forged connecting rod. I'll try to check for a Honda dealer other than HD, but so far I like the E. I have a Stihl chainsaw, but I'm not brand specific. Also, I like the E's rapid loader trimline head.
smile.gif

Echo's cost a little more upfront, but if you run good oil and don't let the gas get old, they will give years of good service.

I've got a 20+ year old Echo SRM 3000 that I run hard on the property. Cleared over 2 acres of brush with a blade last year. Still starts immediately and runs hard. Buy the Echo!

I'm still digging my Stihl. My dealer was a goodie, but I haven't needed him, yet, since the purchase.

The dual string head is a little interesting, but after using it once or twice and knowing how much string it takes, it's a piece of cake.

I'll be firing it up for the season this weekend, with my pre-loaded FP premix...gotta love this sucker at WFO!!!

The nature of these machines is that they will have some problem sooner or later. A huge priority in my decision making is the convenience and quality of the local service dealer. Will he be there six years from now when you need a part quickly?

And, lots of idleing on these 2 strokes equals lots of carbon build up - run that baby full throttle most of the time.

Hey guys! Sorry it has took me so long to get back with you. I bought a Stihl FS 80R from the local dealer. I also got a quick change trimmer head. I feel like a Jedi Knight now!
itschy.gif

Thanks for the advice!

[ April 29, 2004, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: 90mustang ]

I have the Stihl FS55. I've used the brush blade on it a couple times and I weedeat my bank, about 75 feet long, 10 feet wide every week. I had it about 2 full seasons now. Runs great and goes through grass like a tank. I like the straight shaft with bike bars. Much easier to handle and keeps the line away from me. I don't know anything but a friend whose opinion I respect recommended it. I throw seafoam in the tank over the winter and it starts right up the next spring. I also run a little better than 50:1 oil and it seems to run better. Just my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back