We got the 70' Beetle back - Restoration

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
My aunt's 1970 VW Beetle is finally back from it's restoration after being gone since last Spring. She originally bought it in early 2014 as a fixer upper, it was in decent enough shape to drive and have fun, but has sat around a lot. We wanted to fix it up ourselves but with busy lives we just didn't have time and lost the desire to do all that physical labor work. It had a cheap yellow paint job that was peeling on the roof causing alot of surface rust. It had some shoddy bondo work done as well. Mechanically the car was fine. It had the carb rebuilt last year and a clutch a couple years ago. Stock 1500 SP motor (to a 68'-69').

The car was stripped down to bare metal inside and out, all body work was corrected and completely painted. There was some customization done, more California bug style. The front beam was narrowed and it was lowered in the front a little bit. New shocks, disc brakes, new wheels and tires, bumpers, deck lid, pop out rear windows, running boards etc. The inside got sound deadening, all new rubber seals, carpet, headliner, door panels, seat foam and material, the dash was fixed (big radio hole), steering wheel, and the stereo. Speaking of the stereo, this thing POUNDS. I pieced together the stereo parts and didn't think it was going to sound near as good as it does. Rockford Fosgate speakers and subwoofer, PPI full range amp, Alpine deck with Bluetooth and mic etc.

First pic was it off to get restored

66BFAA05-AFBB-46F8-B9BD-1C1190F898C1.jpeg

EA18F685-1DEE-49F0-B645-F4C03E048795.jpeg
A81EECF1-4F3C-43B7-87E2-9D04DB71AF7A.jpeg
6FA0D810-BED3-4E50-AF54-9F0051F187C1.jpeg
49ED6B38-3583-48FE-B37A-ED99EEF9C53D.jpeg
03EFBBA0-3DBB-42B1-8EC0-2BD4FB76486D.jpeg
18CEEF76-AB07-4F96-BF30-DA87010D34CE.jpeg

So nice, very classy build. Hopefully you have secure covered off-street parking for that beauty.

Too bad you don't still have the Tesla, what a mind bender it would be to drive them back to back.
Definitely! This is more fun than the Tesla. It was restored in Prescott Valley. And yes, it will be garaged 100% of the time.

Next stop is to get it properly looked at by the insurance company to get classic car insurance. It has standard car insurance so on the books it's a 51 year old VW, not worth much.

Best upgrade may have been the rear popout windows. We had a 70 beetle and it had zero ventilation.....suffocating in the summer....

You are not that far from the Mexican Border. I would keep that under lock and key...unfortunately.

Other wise...NICE!

Interesting look with the yellow bumpers for sure. Dang man you sure you don’t want to do this to mine for Christmas??? LOL 😂. I actually like this color pretty well. Clever placement of the radio as well. My glovebox is filled with tools 🤣. I hope you and your aunt get many more years of enjoyment with it and if you ever sell you know who is first on your call list. Did you keep the same size tires?

Interesting look with the yellow bumpers for sure. Dang man you sure you don’t want to do this to mine for Christmas??? LOL 😂. I actually like this color pretty well. Clever placement of the radio as well. My glovebox is filled with tools 🤣. I hope you and your aunt get many more years of enjoyment with it and if you ever sell you know who is first on your call list. Did you keep the same size tires?
It had 185/65-15 tires all around before, now it's 195/65-15 rear and 175/60-15 front.

Sounds like you are made of money???

Back