WD-40 Chain Lube - Boraticus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chains don't stretch. They wear. The wear is greatly accelerated if the chain is too tight when the suspension is compressed.

WD-40 is an extremely weak lubricant. Just about any other lube works better. It is OK for cleaning. Try PG1 Blue or the $5 DuPont Teflon multi-purpose stuff from Lowes (blue can).

This link to EK chain shows that there is a non-sealed roller over bushing. The o-ring (x-ring, whatever) holds in the lube for the pin & bushing, but not for the roller. Roller and sprockets need lube for longest life.
http://ekchain.com/seals.htm

"Chains don't stretch. They wear."

I agree with the above but disagree with the rest of your post.

My KLR has close to 20K on the original chain with plenty of life left in it. So, if my method isn't working, how did it manage to live as long as it has?

How long should an O-Ring motorcycle chain last?

I've heard all the arguments against WD40. Some are just wrong, such as it causing damage to the o-rings. My opinion is its hard to argue with real-life results. Plenty of people out there who use it exclusively and their chains last just fine. Probably the most important thing is to find something you like and use it regularly.

Vic

Quote:
Plenty of people out there who use it exclusively and their chains last just fine.

You can probably add me to the list as of yesterday. From now on, every 300 +/- miles, instead of wiping cruddy old oil off chain and painting on new 30w oil, etc., I'll set it on the center stand and run it in 1st gear, and spray WD40 on and see any road crud dissolve away from in between the rollers and behind the links. Does two things in one treatment and I'll bet $5 there will be no rust on the chain with WD40. Sounds like a plan.
thumbsup2.gif
It doesn't smell as bad as I thought it would either. The smell fades away quickly.

"Wd 40 smells awesome, but is terrible as a chain lube."

First part correct, second part wrong.

You can post all the links you want.

I know what it's doing for me. Not sure what the "normal" life expectancy is for a chain but if I can get 25K to 40K out of a chain, that's good enough for me. I won't be disappointed if I don't get 41K.

Originally Posted By: boraticus

My KLR has close to 20K on the original chain with plenty of life left in it. So, if my method isn't working, how did it manage to live as long as it has?

A 30 hp thumper just doesn't really place that much stress on the final drive, that's why the chain is lasting so well.

Actually, it's 44 h.p. at the crank and 35 at the rear wheel.

Don't forget that this machine sees a lot of gravel road. Accordingly, that should offset the power deficiency. Right?

A chain used in a far dirtier environment will likely be subject to more wear than a clean environment on a machine with more power.

Originally Posted By: boraticus

Not sure what the "normal" life expectancy is for a chain but if I can get 25K to 40K out of a chain, that's good enough for me. I won't be disappointed if I don't get 41K.

They're coming out with a new chain lube that's guaranteed to get 1k more miles out of a chain than WD40. You better get some Botaticus, lol. It's only $7.99. Just joking.

Quote:
A chain used in a far dirtier environment will likely be subject to more wear than a clean environment on a machine with more power.

For sure!!

I've been riding since 1968 (a Honda C-65 that I got for $295!!), and listening to chain lube debates at least that long. I just squirted some engine oil on every so often.

I remember when O-ring chains first came into vogue in the late '70's and the procedure was to clean every 1,000 miles with kerosene/grunge brush, let it drip overnite, wipe off whatever crud was left with a rag, then apply a mixture of STP/50 weight oil. Go for a short ride, then come back and try to clean off all the lube that was flung everywhere. What a mess!!

Nowadays, the wax based lubes are, for me anyway, the cat's whiskers. I like Motorex Strong 622 every 500 miles, with a kerosene cleaning every 1,000 miles. My V-Strom has 14,000 miles on it, and the chain has been adjusted 3 times. I keep checking it, but it doesn't seem to wear!! Sprocket teeth are in great shape, etc.. My nephew's 650 Strom has 6,500 miles on it (same clean/lube procedure) and has been adjusted one time. More slack (along with making sure the wheel isn't cocked sideways) is certainly better than too little, for sure.

Just about every discussion of chain maintenance at the bike forums points toward WD-40 being totally WRONG for chain lubrication, yet each such discussion also has quite a few guys like Boraticus who constantly prove them wrong. Real-world results are hard to argue with, y'know..

Wd40 only, will be okay on your chain, but your sprockets will wear heavily for lack of film base.

Ive never seen any life gain with wd40, till wd40 Hotsprays. This is spraying while chain is freshly warm immediately after a ride. I dont know if the wd40 is being inhaled as it cool along with residual lube.

But cold wd40 Ive seen no benefit with internal lube lasting longer(as in conditioning orings. NOrmally even if I dont use wd40, the internal lube is gone before 10,000 mile.
But the Hot wd40 treatment along with a small shot of lube for sprockets is showing a big improvement on life thus far 80% additional life and I still have not seen the first sign of degrade in the chain.

It lloks like about half life, im wanting to see redust on a link. Its been adjusted once or twice

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lurch
Quote:
Plenty of people out there who use it exclusively and their chains last just fine.

You can probably add me to the list as of yesterday. From now on, every 300 +/- miles, instead of wiping cruddy old oil off chain and painting on new 30w oil, etc., I'll set it on the center stand and run it in 1st gear, and spray WD40 on and see any road crud dissolve away from in between the rollers and behind the links. Does two things in one treatment and I'll bet $5 there will be no rust on the chain with WD40. Sounds like a plan.
thumbsup2.gif
It doesn't smell as bad as I thought it would either. The smell fades away quickly.

+Boraticus

Here you go guys, be careful in the garage too!
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242261

Motorex 622 strong man?

Have you noticed how everything stays free with 622 and doesnt clog up like wax, or Blue label?

Rather than lube , and clean wd 40

I clean with wd40 and a touch of lube

just a touch of 622 on about a dosen links, it works its way all the way around into the chain and sprocket teeth, extremely heavy film base.

Originally Posted By: metroplex
Don't try to clean the chains while running the engine in gear.

Why? I do it all the time. Still have all of my fingers. Use a brush with a long handle and keep your hands away. Don't use a rag.

Generally speaking, if you can eat dinner with a fork without poking holes in your face, you should be able to clean the chain with the engine idling in gear.

I use WD40 on rag to clean the chain and maxima chain wax for lubrication and protection. Has worked well for many years now.

Many of the racers use straight WD40 for chain cleaning and lubing and over the years I have yet to see any issues with doing this.

It's nice to see someone take the time to do a definitive experiment to prove the effectiveness of a product. Nonetheless, there will still be naysayers who cannot get their heads around something so simple, so easy, so clean, so inexpensive and so available as WD-40. What I like about it is that it will also serve the needs of numerous other mechanical issues such as drying out electrical switches/contacts etc., cleaning grease from your hands and/or cleaning the bike's wheels of other lubricants that are much messier.

Having the ability to observe and accept something that works despite the dire warnings of the naysayers has it's benefits.

I don't know why everyone spends so much time on this topic, keep the chain adjusted properly and use whatever you want. Personally I use WD40 on a zx14 which is probably harder on it's chain than nearly any bike on the road, my chain and sprockets have lasted 30000 hard km's with little no to wear.

"I don't know why everyone spends so much time on this topic"

Re the above.

I would suspect that those who take a determined stance against WD-40 either haven't got a clue or have a vested interest in specific motorcycle lubrication products, therefore have something to lose. More than likely its the former.

I'm also in full agreement with proper chain adjustment. I sold my KLR to a guy who came across as a relatively knowledgeable motorcyclist. However, he had never owned a chain driven, long suspension motorcycle.

The guy spent quite a long time thoroughly going over the bike, pointing out various anomalies (to him) i.e. suspected rear brakes were worn due to relatively soft rear brake pedal feel (normal), suspected an oil leak due to residual oil on the engine guard (normal after changing the oil filter), and, in his opinion, the chain was too slack so it must be considerably worn. Wrong again.

I asked him how much experience he had with a KLR? None. I then went through everything he pointed out and explained why it's that way, including a short lesson in basic physics to explain the need for slack in long suspension motorcycles.

After a few minutes of discussion, I realized how much the guy didn't know. Yet, he tried to posture himself as being real savvy, finding all of those "mechanical anomalies".

It's people like that who will refute fact because it doesn't fit in their world.

That's why discussion such as this continue into perpetuity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back