Watches and an itch I may need to scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wear a watch on my job, the Citizen Eco Drive on the right. The Delbana is a Swiss made wind up watch.

IMG_3932.JPG

My every day watch is a citizen pro master eco drive , has been a solid watch i don't think its lost more than a second or two in the last year.

I have about a dozen watches, mostly Tag Heuers. My everyday was a second gen Formula 1 that is about 16 years old and absolutely bomb-proof. 2 batteries and 1 service and has never lost time. Needless to say its been through the ringer with my job and never let me down. My dress piece is a 1964 Carrera Pan America re-issue. Cool watch and its a manual winder that I have to tend to. So retro. I recently bought my dream watch though in anticipation of my (third) retirement; an Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch. Newer version with 3861 calibre movement. Steel on steel with Hesalite. Non-exibition back as I don't plan to look at the movement, just the standard Seahorse logo and NASA inscription. I say get what you want, you won't be disappointed.

I've participated in the watch subject in other threads and I absolutely love them. I have over 70 watches from vintage(my Dad's) to modern. None of them are extremely high end watches but they are all very good watches and many of them are SWISS(strictly) mechanical or self-wind mechanical movements.

My daughter happens to have higher end watches that I own. She owns TAG and Longines as well as many Seiko's, Citizen, Casio and some vintage watches that I've given her from our family. Many of them are mechanical or self-wind as well.

I haven't made any big moves but this thread inspired me to purchase a Rolex Jubilee bracelet link from Chrono24. I figure maybe it will feel more like mine if it fits comfortably.

I collect watches too but look for the unusual, my next one will be a Damasko. Made in Germany with an in house movement that is not just a Seagull ebauche, the ice hardened steel is pretty cool. The prices are affordable, this is one I am considering, the price is 19% less if shipped to the USA.

That is a sharp looking watch Paul!

Although I love new watches, I have a soft spot for the old American watches. I have all of my Dad's watches from the 1930's-1960's. I like holding them in my hand and looking at them however, those older watches look too small on my wrist. But I just love looking at them in their pristine condition. Some I've worked on and some I've had work done to them. My Dad wasn't a watch collector but, you'd never know it. Among the watches my Dad owned are:

Belforte, Benson, Benrus, Bulova, Elgin, Gruen, Hamilton, Helbros, Remington, TIMEX etc. All are early mechanical only or self-wind mechanical. And I still have all of them. I even have some of my Mom's ladies Geneva mechanical watches. Many of these older watches are rectangular or square cases.

Last edited:
It seems like there are two kinds of watch people just like there are two kinds of car people. Some owners enjoy using them, looking at them, taking care of them. Others just view them as appliances that do what they are supposed to, and only when they break down do they pay attention to them. I wear this grey market Casio bought on Ebay a few years ago for fifty bucks. Like that it beeps on the hour and think the automatic time setting is pretty cool.

View attachment 138729
I forgot how my old Timex expedition type watches back when I was a teenager would beep on the hour. Brings back good memories. A new watch used to be as exciting as a new smartphone is now.
Nowadays I daily a Fossil gen 5? smartwatch and also still have a Moto 360 2013 smartwatch. It still works kind of but the battery doesn't last and it was never very smart.
When I'm going out or special occasions I'll wear my regular Fossil watch I got from my wife for our first anniversary.

Geez. I haven’t worn a watch in 50 years. Had a pocket watch when I worked on the railroad. That was it. Don’t like anything on my wrists or fingers. Not even a wedding band and I’m married 50 years. Just seems like too much. To each…

I’ve worn watches since I was in elementary school. If I’m leaving the house, I don’t make it to the garage before I realize I’ve forgotten my watch and I go back to get it. Same with my wallet. I think I’m subconsciously programmed after over 6 decades of checking for these two items. My most expensive watch, not worth more than a few hundred dollars, is a Bulova Accutron 214 movement from 1967. I have probably 25 watches, all inexpensive automatics or quartz battery movements and all keep perfect time. My son has a Rolex Sea Dweller divers watch that keeps no better time than my $75 Seiko 5 automatic. I love and appreciate the high dollar watches, but never could justify pulling the trigger.

My favorite uncle was a watchmaker. Bring him a teacup with all the bits and parts of a watch in the morning and at closing he'd hand you the watch keeping almost perfect time. The best watch to buy, and this was ~1980 give or take a year or three, was the Accutron Astronaut. Rolexes were (are?) beautiful timepieces overrated and underperforming at the going stratospheric prices. Omega were (are?) beautiful timepieces doing a good job but nothing special for exponentially more than the Astronaut. Seiko was his overall brand choice for good value. Accutron number one for best quality overall. I like larger watches and if I were in the market would likely buy the Citizen Blue Angels.

This old thing is in rotation as a daily wear watch. A few years ago I found an original reverse panda dial of the same vintage. The tritium lume on the hour markers had faded and I have had the dial relumed with SL C3. One of these days I will swap out the all-black dial for the reverse panda dial. In the picture of the reverse panda dial the light is not catching the edges of the subdials which are recessed just like on the all-black dial.

I have two nice wristwatches my wife got me. But she also got me a Fitbit I feel inclined to wear because it can pick up AFib which may be an issue for me.

My Seiko and and other watch stay in a watch case.

Dilemma.

This old thing is in rotation as a daily wear watch. A few years ago I found an original reverse panda dial of the same vintage. The tritium lume on the hour markers had faded and I have had the dial relumed with SL C3. One of these days I will swap out the all-black dial for the reverse panda dial. In the picture of the reverse panda dial the light is not catching the edges of the subdials which are recessed just like on the all-black dial.

I like the black dial better.

I like the black dial better.
As do I.

To my eye the contrast against the white subdials makes them much more readable.

With the grey dial and subdials, the pips and hands blend together at specific times taking a few more cycles upstairs before the return is processed.

I've never understood the fascination/interest in watches. A former coworker of mine used to collect all kinds of watches....some very expensive. For me it's just a tool. I wear a Bulova my wife bought me. If it was up to me a cheap Timex would have been just fine. Besides, I always scratch the heck out of them anyway.

I have two nice wristwatches my wife got me. But she also got me a Fitbit I feel inclined to wear because it can pick up AFib which may be an issue for me.

My Seiko and and other watch stay in a watch case.

Dilemma.
Wear all of them. Dilemma solved. Except for those stares. New dilemma😕

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back