Watches and an itch I may need to scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought an Omega Speedmaster "Moonwatch" last year. I had wanted one ever since seeing the ads for them shortly after Apollo 11 made the first landing. And I was at a point in my life where doing something as frivolous as spending more than my first car cost wasn't out of the question.

I would really like a Seiko Grand Seiko spring drive in a dress style now. But I don't really have the occasion to wear such a thing since retirement.
This model is quite attractive and for a luxury watch is somewhat reasonable at an MSRP of $6600.

Last edited:
It's one thing to make a watch that copies a lot of the styling aspects of a Rolex but it's another to put the Rolex name on the dial and make it as close in appearance to the original as possible as to attempt to fool the casual observer.
How does the (edit - Mod) company get away with it ?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's one thing to make a watch that copies a lot of the styling aspects of a Rolex but it's another to put the Rolex name on the dial and make it as close in appearance to the original as possible as to attempt to fool the casual observer.
How does the Perfect Replica company get away with it ?
It's a spam link, and they don't get away with it here at least.

What about a Credor? Beautiful Japanese made watches, a subsidiary of Seiko.
Credor, it sounds like a pharmaceutical or cosmetics product, does exactly zero for me in the aesthetics department but that should not affect you in any way. Always buy what you like not what others think you should like. I only like tool watches so that's what I buy. I can respect someone who made the choice to wear a $15 Casio because he likes that watch. There are by the way so many watch brands with a pedigree that most people have never heard of. There are also more microbrands than ever and some offer very interesting pieces at very good prices.

Last edited:
Credor, it sounds like a pharmaceutical or cosmetics product, does exactly zero for me in the aesthetics department but that should not affect you in any way. Always buy what you like not what others think you should like. I only like tool watches so that's what I buy. I can respect someone who made the choice to wear a $15 Casio because he likes that watch. There are by the way so many watch brands with a pedigree that most people have never heard of. There are also more microbrands than ever and some offer very interesting pieces at very good prices.
I agree with wearing whatever strikes your fancy but I would not let the name affect my choice because it's not aesthetically pleasing. Credor have been around for quite some time, 50's/60's. Regardless, they make luxury, chronos and divers too I believe. I love Seikos, and Credor is part of the family.

Last Saturday I bought a watch for the first time in decades, I have been using my cell phone as a watch. I can't always have a cell phone with me, so I went watch shopping. This is what I came out of the store with, $23 USD. Casio Forester.

PXL_20230209_002302861.jpg

I have several of the de rigueur watch brands from that famous european alpine country but I rarely wear them. They seem uninteresting and make a statement about me that I can't live up to. I prefer to wear one of my favorites from this watchmaker because almost nobody here has ever heard of them except the Cuban-American guy I used to work for. He said they are very common in the barrios of Havana.

orient.jpg

I'll join the "buy it" crowd. While I'm far from a watch fanatic, I do have an interest in the genre.

My own collection is fairly mundane: a Kenneth Cole self-winder I got at Macy's, an Armani something or other, and my personal favorite: a Citizen CA0295-58E.

CA0295-58E.jpg

I'll join the "buy it" crowd. While I'm far from a watch fanatic, I do have an interest in the genre.

My own collection is fairly mundane: a Kenneth Cole self-winder I got at Macy's, an Armani something or other, and my personal favorite: a Citizen CA0295-58E.

View attachment 139489
have a blue and silver eco drive - but our friend at the jewelry store died so I’d have to learn how to set the time 😱

have a blue and silver eco drive - but our friend at the jewelry store died so I’d have to learn how to set the time 😱

If it's anything like mine, you unscrew the center knob counter-clockwise then pull the knob out one click for date setting and two clicks for time setting.

Reactions: 4WD
My daily for the last 6-8 yrs. Had several others but got divorced and gave them to my 2 boys as most were gifts from the ex, miss my Museum watch though. Bought myself an older 80's- ish Longines dress watch last fall and love it- very simple and elegant. By the Grand Seiko you will not regret it, beautiful watch.
16759084445054143825024230044660.jpg

... my Zelos Swordfish 40mm, ...
Another Zelos fan here. I have a bronze Mako which has the Miyota 9015 movement.
Another one I like is Nodus. I have a contrail (also a Miyota 9015).
Both are well made, practical, stylish, unique, and keep great time.
I'd love to have a spring drive movement because they are so unique. But Seiko doesn't make one in a practical style that works for me.

Reactions: wlk
I agree with wearing whatever strikes your fancy but I would not let the name affect my choice because it's not aesthetically pleasing. Credor have been around for quite some time, 50's/60's. Regardless, they make luxury, chronos and divers too I believe. I love Seikos, and Credor is part of the family.
The brand name would not affect my choice if I were to find the watch to my liking. Hee-hee, Credor!

I have several of the de rigueur watch brands from that famous european alpine country but I rarely wear them. They seem uninteresting and make a statement about me that I can't live up to. I prefer to wear one of my favorites from this watchmaker because almost nobody here has ever heard of them except the Cuban-American guy I used to work for. He said they are very common in the barrios of Havana.

View attachment 139483
Orient is a great brand and great value too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back