Was I the bad guy? incident at my YMCA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parent of a child with autism here.

I would not say that you are the bad guy, at the same time, you are from the class of people who are in their own shells. Nothing wrong with it but the society has reached to the point that 1 in 48 boys are on the autism spectrum (gone are the days of 1 in 68), and this has become an emergency but rarely there is any government that is taking any steps to find out the causes and addresses it. I do not want to go further in it but I am saying here that this is going to get worse and it won't be that long when EVERY family will have a person with autism. At the end, everyone will be affected one way or the other.

Now when it comes to the farts, its not that kid's fault, almost every kid with autism has an issue with the GI system and almost every mainstream GI will disregard it as a part of autism. Nobody can do anything about it. Those parents who are not from the field of medicine will agree to the physician and since they don't know anything better, they will follow the (ill)directions offered by the GI. Then you have a kid like you mention.

I can go on and on but hardly anyone here will probably understand or will care about reading to 'understand' the topic. When autism is not in your family, almost everyone is like, its not my problem, deal with it because YOU have a kid with autism. I have had my share of stares and rude comments.

If you again meet that parent, ask him to hit up to tacanow.org They sell 'Journey Guides' that have a lot of information that can help the parent to improve the quality of life of that kid. I don't know if you have TACA chapters in Canada, but if this father is interested, you can ask him to contact me, I will help him. If he is interested, I will PM my email ID to you.

Just one request at the end those who read till here. We, the parents of kids on the spectrum, are not doing anything intentionally. We have thrown our careers out the window, spent all our fortune to help the kids to improve their quality of life but if our kid is doing something offensive, its not because we have been lazy but because the kids' health issues are so complex that the mainstream medicine has given up on these kids. If you can not help, the minimum request is, don't demonize the parents. They are doing the best they can. Today is our turn, god forbid tomorrow is yours.

I don’t think you should apologize at all. I would have started complaining long ago, but probably would have tried another gym.

Originally Posted By: Starman2112
You’re lucky the Dad didn’t punch you in the nose.

So he can be up on assault charges and banned from bringing his flatulent child on the premises? Punishing the child with his own behaviour?

I'm sure the father is acutely aware of the issue, and likely embarrassed about it. I'm not sure how somebody pointing out that it is bothersome should result in rage so strong that he physically assaults the complainant. If you are in that boat, you may want to seek some professional help.

Edit to the previous post,
Apologies if someone gets offended because of my post. I don't want to blame OP explicitly. It drives me mad when such incidences happen. I have been the target of many such incidents in the past and the common denominator in every incident is, the other person had no clue of autism and some of them took pride in not knowing. Today, my kid is healthy, pretty neurotypical like that kicks NT kids' behinds when it comes to math, science, and language. Still struggles with social skills but otherwise pretty NT. According to the 'experts' in autism, this is the same kid that was never supposed to speak and supposed to be institutionalized.

To the OP, if the father and the son do not show up for the next class, I urge you to get their contact number from the office and give them a call to express the remorse that you mentioned at the end of OP. I can not imagine how thankful the father will be. If you don't mind, pls convey my message as well.

Yeah, you were the bad guy... Either suck it up, ask for a floor fan to direct the air in a favorable direction, or don't go. A few minutes of stink is a pretty small issue to deal with compared to what the family goes through. You're behaviour is why alot of weak parents hide their autistic kids which isn't good for anyone.
I'm sure they would appreciate the apology as well.

Get a pack of matches and light one every time one of the bombs goes off. A lighter won't do the same thing.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

So he can be up on assault charges and banned from bringing his flatulent child on the premises? Punishing the child with his own behaviour?

I'm sure the father is acutely aware of the issue, and likely embarrassed about it. I'm not sure how somebody pointing out that it is bothersome should result in rage so strong that he physically assaults the complainant. If you are in that boat, you may want to seek some professional help.

Typical bleeding heart, chicken [censored] liberal response.

I wouldn't apologize for jack. Why is every one so worried about offending every one else when they were offended in the first place? So, OP has to endure for 4 years? He has kept his cool long enough. He pays to be in that class so technically, the kid shouldn't even be in there in the first place. It's not a babysitting class, it's a spin class. Geesh

Originally Posted By: MoneyJohn
Parent of a child with autism here.

I would not say that you are the bad guy, at the same time, you are from the class of people who are in their own shells. Nothing wrong with it but the society has reached to the point that 1 in 48 boys are on the autism spectrum (gone are the days of 1 in 68), and this has become an emergency but rarely there is any government that is taking any steps to find out the causes and addresses it. I do not want to go further in it but I am saying here that this is going to get worse and it won't be that long when EVERY family will have a person with autism. At the end, everyone will be affected one way or the other.

Now when it comes to the farts, its not that kid's fault, almost every kid with autism has an issue with the GI system and almost every mainstream GI will disregard it as a part of autism. Nobody can do anything about it. Those parents who are not from the field of medicine will agree to the physician and since they don't know anything better, they will follow the (ill)directions offered by the GI. Then you have a kid like you mention.

I can go on and on but hardly anyone here will probably understand or will care about reading to 'understand' the topic. When autism is not in your family, almost everyone is like, its not my problem, deal with it because YOU have a kid with autism. I have had my share of stares and rude comments.

If you again meet that parent, ask him to hit up to tacanow.org They sell 'Journey Guides' that have a lot of information that can help the parent to improve the quality of life of that kid. I don't know if you have TACA chapters in Canada, but if this father is interested, you can ask him to contact me, I will help him. If he is interested, I will PM my email ID to you.

Just one request at the end those who read till here. We, the parents of kids on the spectrum, are not doing anything intentionally. We have thrown our careers out the window, spent all our fortune to help the kids to improve their quality of life but if our kid is doing something offensive, its not because we have been lazy but because the kids' health issues are so complex that the mainstream medicine has given up on these kids. If you can not help, the minimum request is, don't demonize the parents. They are doing the best they can. Today is our turn, god forbid tomorrow is yours.

+1 Right there with you.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
What would you do?

Invite you to some boxing lessons for some complimentary bops to the head.

LOL!

Sorry, but I find this amusing coming from somebody who advocates physical assault as a reasonable escalation to an exchange about a child's activities in a public place, which would only ultimately result in further hardship for the child.

I'm not Liberal, I just tend to think before acting, something apparently beyond your ability.

This is the kind of attitude that fosters the anti-gun movement. This display of a lack of self-control is EXACTLY the kind of example used by those people.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: KGMtech
What would you do?

Invite you to some boxing lessons for some complimentary bops to the head.

Take it easy. Some on here will say you need professional help for that kind of thinking.

LOL!

Sorry, but I find this amusing coming from somebody who advocates physical assault as a reasonable escalation to an exchange about a child's activities in a public place, which would only ultimately result in further hardship for the child.

I'm not Liberal, I just tend to think before acting, something apparently beyond your ability.

Just exactly where did I advocate violence. I simply stated he could have gotten punched for that. It’s the world we live in. People will shoot you for less than that. To suggest I need professional help for saying that is irrational and ludicrous.

Just exactly where did I advocate violence. I simply stated he could have gotten punched for that. It’s the world we live in. People will shoot you for less than that. To suggest I need professional help for saying that is irrational and ludicrous.

Your statement seemed to advocate that approach, and your response to my reply certainly didn't do anything to contradict my takeaway from it
21.gif

Somebody who would support somebody else getting punched in the face as a reasonable escalation in that situation, which was what I saw as being implied by yours, indeed needs mental help. If you do not support that and were simply pointing it out as a reasonable risk, then my apologies. The way you phrased it seemed to me as if you were the father in that situation, that you would have punched him in the nose.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
forget about it or go to a different class

I agree, the kid has a problem, not by his choice. Kudos to his father for not flying off the handle.

I think you owe the father and his son an apology. He didn't [censored] in your general direction on purpose.

Silly to get mad at autistic child in YMCA.

I once had an autistic child wack / slap my back waiting in line at a Wendy's. I didn't get mad... mom was embarrassed and apologized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back