WARNING..There is NO by-pass on Bosch Premium!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first joined this site I made a post regarding the Supertch filters and the ADV. This appears to just simply be a cost savings for them but I do think that the ADV in them will work. However I searched through all the ones in my local WalMart and found a bunch with the ADV at the baseplate. They are still the black filters though. I bought about 20. When I am out I will go back to Motorcraft.

Yeah, wives just don't seem to appreciate the sacrifices us husbands have to make in the interest of filter science.
rolleyes.gif

Greaser, I tried the little scale experiment. The metal started to move at about 5 lbs. By 15 there was a notable gap. The metal is very thin, but never does click. It just flexes a great deal. My hats off to the guy who designed it. Simple and uncomplicated. I'm sure it works. But I have my doubts as to how well.

As for the ADV, that appeared to be a good, but simple nitrate valve. It did not have the better rounded lip on it that the posting on the Acura site showed for the Bosch and K&N filters. I guess this is what you get for $1.97.

quote:

Originally posted by Roger:

As for the ADV, that appeared to be a good, but simple nitrate valve. It did not have the better rounded lip on it that the posting on the Acura site showed for the Bosch and K&N filters. I guess this is what you get for $1.97.

Nitrile rubber. It gets stiff & brittle after some heat exposure--not what you want to use for extended oil drain intervals.
"Nitrile rubber is a general purpose material resistant to a large variety of oils and greases. It is the workhorse of oil sealing owing to cost/performance compromise. Different nitrile compounds are available for fuels and for industrial fluids. Nitrile rubber is generally serviceable between -40°C and 105°C; it can withstand 120°C intermittently. It is not recommended for glycol-based brake fluids and EP-type lubricants."
http://www.skt.com.tr/malzeme.php?dil=i#n2

Ken

Ok...photos are up. Along with commentary.

Maybe it would be a good idea to start a new thread on this to get others' input / opinion on how this supposed bypass works, and if it will work. A new thread, that way the photo link is in post #1 and doesn't get buried down here in this thread, I dunno, I'll leave it up to you guys.

Bosch Premium Filter - Cut Open Photos

By the way, feel free to correct me if I named any of the filter components incorrectly or if my commentary is imbecilic. I'm just an amateur at this oil stuff....I've reached geek status no doubt....but still an amateur.

[ March 10, 2003, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: cheeks ]

How do we know the difference between nitrile and silicon ADV's? Besides what the vendors tell us, that is. Is there a "quick" tell tale sign?

Wix uses silicone ADV's in some if not all of their products...I wanna say the ones I have purchased are red in color. I believe Motorcraft's are red also, at least the 820-S if I remember correctly...makes sense they'd be silicone given that Ford recommends 5k drain intervals for that filter and corresponding vehicle. The Bosch's are black.

I should be able to post pics of the Bosch Prem. cut open filter tonight, if not, tomorrow night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back