Warming the oil for oil change

I know many, self included, will take a short drive or idle the engine prior to an oil change so that the oil will drain more quickly. I have a magnetic heater that goes on the oil pan to warm the oil during the winter. Wondering if I can use this to warm the oil prior to changing it? Only concern is warming up the oil filter prior to changing as a cold filter might be more difficult to remove. Guess I will find out.

Which vehicle are you doing this on? IMO, I don't think this would make much of a difference. It's like the guys letting the oil drain overnight. The majority of people take the car to a dealer or quick lube and they don't wait until all of the oil has drained out before they refill.

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable and carry on.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I like to warm the oil by running the engine so everything is in suspension when the oil is drained. That's the way I was taught and I stuck with it. You'll probably read a lot of different opinions about it.

Bingo +10

I put my vehicles up on ramps to change the oil, so since I have to start and move it anyway, I take it for a short drive to get it at least partially warmed up before changing. Not so hot I burn myself on the plug and oil, but nice and warm.

Originally Posted by racer44
Yes, change oil with the engine warm I let it drain for at least a hour.

Wow, that's a new one I haven't heard yet. I have a family friend who pours a quart of new oil through the engine before putting the drain bolt back in so he can "get all of the old oil out". That is absolutely pointless and a waste of money in my opinion, but at least he changes the oil I guess.

Some say to put it on ramps the night before so the hot oil has all night to drain to the sump. Then, in the morning, just unscrew the plug.

To the OP: "Only concern is warming up the oil filter prior to changing as a cold filter might be more difficult to remove."

This is over thinking a very simple operation.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by racer44
Yes, change oil with the engine warm I let it drain for at least a hour.

Wow, that's a new one I haven't heard yet. I have a family friend who pours a quart of new oil through the engine before putting the drain bolt back in so he can "get all of the old oil out". That is absolutely pointless and a waste of money in my opinion, but at least he changes the oil I guess.

Now that is wasteful! Learn new idiotic practices all the time in my old age.

Change your oil hot and change it often, was the signature of some guy on a Mercedes forum years ago I recall. Works for me. If you don't need to drive it, letting it drain an hour might get a few more tablespoons of old oil, but I also recall someone saying it could cause the oil pump to lose its prime. Not sure about the validity of that though.

Mine gets lukewarm putting it on the ramps. I have dumped an already open bottle in before …
came out fast and clean

Start the truck, drive up on the ramps. Drain the oil. 210,000 miles. Worked for me.
smile.gif

The colder the better for me. I hate hot and hot engines more worser.
I have dumped a couple of quarts in without the plug in, but that had nothing to do with trying to flush out any remaining oil.
Came out nice and clean!

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I like to warm the oil by running the engine so everything is in suspension when the oil is drained. That's the way I was taught and I stuck with it. You'll probably read a lot of different opinions about it.

Exactly, it also increases drain velocity witch can help extract more crud from the pan than stagnant cold oil.

I used to drain the oil hot but I don't think it has any benefit so I just drain it cold now. If it's already hot, I'm not going to wait for it to cool off. Just don't think it matters and cold is easier.

I think the oil needs to circulate for a short time prior to an oil change to churn up any crud that may have fallen out of suspension and settled on the engine surface.

Check oil, crank car, set ramps, drive on ramps, shut off engine, remove filter, remove plug and drain then do reverse. Since I retired this is my routine.

i like to change it when it warm but that rarely happens..usually just change it after the vehicle sits over night and call itgood...ijustlet it drain real good

Back