My Local VW Got The Memo

I wouldn’t mind the hat deal, interesting, I haven’t really looked into the Valvoline 504 oil.
got the same/similar email... doesn't have to be 504 oil. just spend $35 or more

"Some newer VW engines use a plastic drain plug that only turns so far (o-ring makes the seal with the plastic sump). They seem foolproof, but I’m sure there are ways around it."

My 3 Series BMW too. Must be a German thing!

Just need to be sure it's the "kit" when buying the filter. Or you pay extra again for the plug.

I recently did an oil change on my brothers Honda and the lube tech used a air gun to tighten the drain plug.

I needed a breaker bar to loosen drain plug. :mad:🤬
Mine tack-welded mine on. Later at home I shouted," I guess I will have to bring it to the dealer for the next oil change!"

Oh well, they they win.

j/k

Was at FORD just two days ago to throw them a service bone so they will recognize my ugly mug. Really I had an AT whoopsie where it went down two gears instead of upshifting and overrevved and lit up an engine MIL with text in the DIC that said, "SEE OWNERS MANUAL"
When they tossed me my keys and hour later after an OC and a trouble code check, they said that there is nothing wrong but then proceded to reprimand me that I should never shift my AT trans from S mode to D when moving as it will "try to match engine speed to road speed and cause jolting and jerking". Then they said my car doesn't even have a sport mode. (It clearly has SelectShift with a Sport mode on a 6 speed traditional AT with a floor quadrant)

No use arguing with snippy service writers who hold my future autommotive well being in their lotioned and pampered tiny hands. I have a couple years PT warranty remaining so no urgency as I don't do long sojourns in this appliance.

Oh, the FORD dealer OC with tire rotation (declined) and safety inspection and fluid topoff was just 69
buckerinos plus shop fees. Supposedly semi-synthetic FORD 5W20.
I declined a 30 dollar upcharge for "Full Synthetic" I didn't ask to see the bulk tank. Don't care anymore.

- Arco

I reused mine because I was absent minded and forgot to go to the dealer to get a new one. I won't forget this time.
You would think if it's a Buna or Viton o-ring it would be OK. for a couple uses. I mean my 710 cap topside is a 1/2 turn o-ringed affair but that bit of rubber is not beaver-damming a four litre sump of boiling hot pseudo-synthetic oil.

Now I am jittery thinking about it, I guess I would replace it each time if my car had one.

Hmm plastic drain plugs. I like my 14x1.5 steel bolt, i can reuse it forever as long as I don't round off the head or something

I'm surprised most manufacturers/dealers dont have some sort of combo special like the The Works with ford, it's super convenient. It was $48 w/tax for a semi-synth oil change, tire rotation, and inspection for the focus.

I'm surprised most manufacturers/dealers dont have some sort of combo special like the The Works with ford, it's super convenient. It was $48 w/tax for a semi-synth oil change, tire rotation, and inspection for the focus.
just looked up my semi local ford dealer's quick lane... the works is $64 there now...

I used them on mom's Taurus a few years back, the advertised price was around the $48 you said... taxes and fees, etc. brought it to around $65... now they're advertising $64... don't want to guess what the actual OTD price is.

just looked up my semi local ford dealer's quick lane... the works is $64 there now...

I used them on mom's Taurus a few years back, the advertised price was around the $48 you said... taxes and fees, etc. brought it to around $65... now they're advertising $64... don't want to guess what the actual OTD price is.

Wow that's a big increase but not surprising given the state of things. I suppose it's still a deal though considering the price of the services, separate.

Are they reusable? Ours is dripping slightly after a reuse by a friend who changed oil for us.

I plan to use mine forever just because I put a magnet in. I swap that O-ring only.
I don't see why the plastic drain plug could wear. I use a plastic coin to open it, so
virtually no strain to the plug. It works.

They would also tighten your drain plug to 100 ft-lbs or more
And strip it out.
drain_bolt.jpg

Back