Walmart Oil for VW 1.8T?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pavelow
Dude, just run the Rotella T6 and forget about it. The Rotella is better than the Syntec 5W40 and I'd imagine it's on par with the Mobil1 0W40. Anyways, for $19.50 a gallon and availability at every Walmart in the US, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better oil for your older VW engine.

Best answer in whole darn thread,,,amen and amen, now theres a guy with some sense. T6 rules.........

I don't know how someone one would consider a 5w-40 "better", when a 5w-30 can show low wear with vastly reduced viscosity, and all that it entails.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I don't know how someone one would consider a 5w-40 "better", when a 5w-30 can show low wear with vastly reduced viscosity, and all that it entails.

I tend to agree. Rotella 5w40 seems really thick when its cold. Just from my personal observations.

At -13f, RTS 5w-40 is 6500cSt, Mobil 1 5w-40 TDT is 9600cSt and Edge 5w-30 is about 3500cSt.

I consider 10,000cSt the absolute floor for cold starting, I shoot for 5000cSt, especially in a turbo. So Rotella is thick for my tastes, especially doing short trip driving.

Too thick when cold? I run/have run Rotella T6 in both of my vehicles in the winter, a Chicago winter no less, and have never, ever had any cold start issues or cold oil psi issues. Matter of fact we have been no warmer than the 20s and teens for the past 2 months....my Jeep fires right up and has instant oil psi with Rotella T6 in it. You guys think way too much into stuff.

I have run it in the winter with no problem too, but when you pour it (in the winter) compared to other 5w's it is VERY thick. Thats how it sits in your oil pan before you start.

You can't compare oils you haven't used. The difference in cold, just turning the key is vast. My wife can even tell the difference.

Yup. I put Rotella 5w40 in my GF's elantra for the summer and the engine made a racket on startup. Had to switch it out.

Originally Posted By: pavelow
You guys think way too much into stuff.

Yes, we do.
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back