MT oil for old Audi

I have 5 speed Front wheel drive manual transmission off of 1994 Audi 90 that had 199k miles and still had original clutch and transmission. I dont know if the oil was changed or how often in the past but the trans was fine and nothing out of the ordinary

At 199k I did change the oil to Amsoil GL4 75w90 and to my surprise it is noticeably harder to shift for the first 5-10 miles untill it warms up. Did 12-13000 miles and the other day I swapped a 85k miles transmission from 2003 VW passat because it has slightly better 2 and 5th gear and now i would like to change the MT oil which for sure is original from 2003.

Both transmissions are the same "012" type VW/Audi trans but the 1994 was GL4 maybe because GL5 was not existing back then

Can I put the Valvoline 75w90 synthetic which is GL5 but also says something about can be used for GL4? I will not put the Amsoil this time but want to buy something in the morning whichever is available in the Walmart/autoparts stores for right away purchase and will change it tomorrow.

I have 5 speed Front wheel drive manual transmission off of 1994 Audi 90 that had 199k miles and still had original clutch and transmission. I dont know if the oil was changed or how often in the past but the trans was fine and nothing out of the ordinary

At 199k I did change the oil to Amsoil GL4 75w90 and to my surprise it is noticeably harder to shift for the first 5-10 miles untill it warms up. Did 12-13000 miles and the other day I swapped a 85k miles transmission from 2003 VW passat because it has slightly better 2 and 5th gear and now i would like to change the MT oil which for sure is original from 2003.

Both transmissions are the same "012" type VW/Audi trans but the 1994 was GL4 maybe because GL5 was not existing back then

Can I put the Valvoline 75w90 synthetic which is GL5 but also says something about can be used for GL4? I will not put the Amsoil this time but want to buy something in the morning whichever is available in the Walmart/autoparts stores for right away purchase and will change it tomorrow.
Redline MTL and MT90 have been popular with the VAG enthusiasts for decades. Give MTL a try.

Question: which Amsoil gear oil did you use? Was it “Manual Transmission and Gear Lube”?

Yes. Correct. Was the proper manual trans.and.gear lube pouch. I normally use their oil all the time for my older 2 cars

Why even use a 75W-90? A modern 75W-80 GL-4 has
half the viscosity at 40°C not to mention near freezing.
I'd suggest Redline MTL or Castrol Transmax Manual V
75W-80*.

*API GL-4+
Suitable for use where the following is called for:
VW G 052 171
VW G 052 527
VW G 052 512
VW G 052 532
VW G 055 512
VW G 055 532

Yes. Correct. Was the proper manual trans.and.gear lube pouch. I normally use their oil all the time for my older 2 cars

You’re using the Amsoil recommended gear and transmission lube. Interesting you’re having a poor experience.

I know you’re wanting to avoid Amsoil. However, the thinner, “Amsoil 5W-30 Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid” might be a better choice for your 012 5-speed, than the MTG you’ve got in there now.

Motul Gear 300 has worked well for me in my Audi 01E 6-speed, even in the cold of a Minnesota winter.

If you’re wanting an off the shelf gear oil to let you drain and refill today I’ll again point to Redline MTL.

Good luck, and let us know your choice and results (if you’re so inclined).

You’re using the Amsoil recommended gear and transmission lube. Interesting you’re having a poor experience.

I know you’re wanting to avoid Amsoil. However, the thinner, “Amsoil 5W-30 Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid” might be a better choice for your 012 5-speed, than the MTG you’ve got in there now.

Motul Gear 300 has worked well for me in my Audi 01E 6-speed, even in the cold of a Minnesota winter.

If you’re wanting an off the shelf gear oil to let you drain and refill today I’ll again point to Redline MTL.

Good luck, and let us know your choice and results (if you’re so inclined).
Not the first I've read and seen this.

I have just now suggested Amsoil add an intermediate (~12.5 cSt) GL4 and get GL4 on the MTF bottle!

Not the first I've read and seen this.

I have just now suggested Amsoil add an intermediate (~12.5 cSt) GL4 and get GL4 on the MTF bottle!
I'm glad you found this thread and stepped in, Pablo. I thought you could be a key contributor to this topic, and here you are. Your suggestions to Amsoil are excellent and appreciated, I hope they can accommodate in both respects.
(y)

GL5 gear oil is inappropriate for most manual transmissions. Stick with GL4.

Since you have an Audi, you might be familiar with Liqui-Moly. They recently released a 75w90 GL4 called Top Tec 5400 MTF that is just making it to stores now. Part number 22275.

Pennzoil and Valvoline recently discontinued their 75w90 GL4 gear oils.

This was the best performer out of 5 fluids I tried in the CX-5. Redline, Ford, Valvoline and Mazda didn't work as well. If you dig around you can find the yellow metal testing for it and it meets GL-4 standards.

1716495894132.jpg

GL5 gear oil is inappropriate for most manual transmissions. Stick with GL4.

Since you have an Audi, you might be familiar with Liqui-Moly. They recently released a 75w90 GL4 called Top Tec 5400 MTF that is just making it to stores now. Part number 22275.

Pennzoil and Valvoline recently discontinued their 75w90 GL4 gear oils.
I saw the new 5400MTF other day and was planing on getting it. Also looked up the 5W30 Amsoil synchromesh said by tcp71.

The Liqui Moly MTF 5400 SAE 75W-90 has viscosity is ~15cSt and ~88cSt and it is not that far off with the Amsoil MTGPK-EA tat I complained being too hard to shift when cold

The Amsoil 5W30 Synchromest viscosity is lower ~10cSt and ~50 cSt and 1A copper corrosion so I might try that next time which will be this year. I dont know if lower viscosity means easier/smoother shift but just assume so. As for longevity/protection of transmission only God knows :D

What I did couple days ago is what i usually never do - went to Napa and got whatever they had on the shelf. I did mainly because I saw VW/Audi part number reccomendation on the back label. It will stay there for my trip to Long Island this year and will be replaced
This is what I have now https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...2d889bd3/1a3e1219-f005-e811-9c13-ac162d889bd1
Part number 811095 and has similar to Amsoil 5w30 lower viscosity @ ~9cSt and ~50 cSt
Funny enough I have not tried the car yet. When I drive it tomorrow if I like it I may just leave it be.

gycr2hq41pghaomqjsqd.png

nhvrkyi5yhdz7asgmwht.png

Stick with the Amsoil you have it will be fine after some use. I had the same issue with my VW, and after a few months it shifts like silk. That was 14 year ago

I know it's not the same (this is an Audi) but I used Amsoil MTF (not MTG) in my 90s BMW with great results. Also Redline MTL, Royal Purple Synchromax. I believe Amsoil MTF was my fave.

OP may want to consider researching if the higher viscosity of MTG is really necessary over MTF, or just give the MTF a try. It seems like so many 90s-2000s German MTs can take anything from a thin ATF through 75W90 and be "fine", allowing the owner to tweak.

Back