Walmart Oil for VW 1.8T?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dparm
$4.99, wolf.

Went in to OR this morning to get some 0w40, noticed it was $4.99, not $5.99. I bought the 6 quarts they had and ordered 12 more to be delivered next Friday. $4.99 is an outstanding price for the 0W40, $20 a gallon.

Originally Posted By: OhioSienna
Hi All-

I have a VW Passat B5.5 sedan with the 1.8T engine, which I know is an infamous sludge monster.

I stopped by my local Autozone to buy 5 quarts of M1 0W-40, and I noticed that the price had risen to $7.99. GC was the same price. That struck me as ridiculous.

In my area, Walmart seems to have the best prices for motor oil. They don't have M1 0-w40 or GC. Are there any oils likely to be found at Walmart that are suitable for the 1.8T (whether or not they have purchased the VW spec)? Perhaps Shell Rotella T6 5-w40?

Shell Rotella T6
You answered your own question...go with the Rotella T6 5W40.

A buddy of mine owns a Audi A4 with the 1.8T...same engine. He's ran blend oils for awhile. Recently he got a letter saying the 1.8T is sludge prone. I convinced him to run Mobil One 0W40. He only had some varnish....thank god.

Hi All-

I have a VW Passat B5.5 sedan with the 1.8T engine, which I know is an infamous sludge monster.

I stopped by my local Autozone to buy 5 quarts of M1 0W-40, and I noticed that the price had risen to $7.99. GC was the same price. That struck me as ridiculous.

In my area, Walmart seems to have the best prices for motor oil. They don't have M1 0-w40 or GC. Are there any oils likely to be found at Walmart that are suitable for the 1.8T (whether or not they have purchased the VW spec)? Perhaps Shell Rotella T6 5-w40?

Shell Rotella T6

To answer your question....IMO I would purchase Rotella T6 for my VW gas turbo of all the choices at Walmart. A recent UOA in an Audi Turbo 2.0 revealed outstanding performance by T6.

$19.50 a gallon. The nice thing about Rotella is....walmart also sells it in quarts, so you can purchase a gallon jug and then a singe quart. I believe your sump requires 4.6 quarts. You can carry the remaining 0.4 quart in the car for top-offs.

T6, if I am not mistaken meets all the 502 requires.... just isn't certified.

I will be moving to T6 in my Passat, once the "free oil changes" run out and once I am through four cases of M1 0w40 that I purchased at PepBoys on Black Friday for $4 a quart.

I've been running Maxlife 10w40 in my VR6 since it's A3 rated and they were out of T6. I'll do a UOA this spring to see how it held up.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
A buddy of mine owns a Audi A4 with the 1.8T...same engine. He's ran blend oils for awhile. Recently he got a letter saying the 1.8T is sludge prone. I convinced him to run Mobil One 0W40. He only had some varnish....thank god.

The 1.8t 2.0t sludge issues are mostly due to people not changing their oil, using dino oil [they are synth filled from factory], and not using VAG approved oils. Obviously these issues shouldn't happen regardless, so there is a design 'fault' if you will. But no one i personally know in the VW scene that has used VW approved oils along with regular OCIs have had sludge issues. The newer filter should probably be used too.

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
To answer your question....IMO I would purchase Rotella T6 for my VW gas turbo of all the choices at Walmart. A recent UOA in an Audi Turbo 2.0 revealed outstanding performance by T6.

$19.50 a gallon. The nice thing about Rotella is....walmart also sells it in quarts, so you can purchase a gallon jug and then a singe quart. I believe your sump requires 4.6 quarts. You can carry the remaining 0.4 quart in the car for top-offs.

T6, if I am not mistaken meets all the 502 requires.... just isn't certified.

I will be moving to T6 in my Passat, once the "free oil changes" run out and once I am through four cases of M1 0w40 that I purchased at PepBoys on Black Friday for $4 a quart.

If im not mistaken no one knows what tests VAG does to the oils to approve them. To the best of my knowledge no one can say something meets VAG spec besides VAG themselves. If it met spec it would be approved.

Last edited:
As the owner of a VW GTI 1.8T since '03, trust me when I say use Rotella 5w40 or M1 High Mileage 10w40. Change it as often as the manual recommends, and sleep easy.

I've been using Rotella synth 5w-40 for most of the past four years on a Jetta version 1.8T. Last summer when I took the valve cover off it was VERY clean inside.

I'm actually considering trying M1 HM 10w30 and/or 10w40 in my deezul. They're ACEA B4 which is permissible.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Are you sure it's A3? I can see it meeting A3, but iirc the label says A1.

Yea, I found it one day when hunting for a oil change and they were out of RTS. The 5w-30 & 10w-30 are A1, 10w-40 & 20w-50 are both A3. But I would be careful and check each label before you buy. Full syn 10w-30 used to be A3 and was reformulated to A1.

Hi All-

Shell Rotella T6

Just wait for a sale, you can usually get 5 quarts of Syntec and a filter for less than $30. I always bought ahead of time and had the oil and filter ready to go when it was time for a change. I had a good UOA with the 5w-40, btw.

AJ, how would you feel about using any available A3 oil in this application, with reasonble change intervals?
I would think that any A3 would be plenty robust, and would have sufficient resistance to oxidaton and deposit formation.
And to the doubters, it was -14F on my thermometer Saturday morning, 1/22/11, and we are only about thirty miles north of the Ohio River.
This typically happens only once each winter, but it is nice to be prepared for it if you might need to use your car.

Dude, just run the Rotella T6 and forget about it. The Rotella is better than the Syntec 5W40 and I'd imagine it's on par with the Mobil1 0W40. Anyways, for $19.50 a gallon and availability at every Walmart in the US, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better oil for your older VW engine.

Depends on driver, OCI, engine condition, engine family history of failures...

What year vehicle?
Does it use the BIG can oil filter? or a cartridge?
Do you top off the oil regularly?
Do you want to follow outrageous sludge causing extended OCIs or are you more PM oriented?
Does engine consume oil? How many miles?
Any mods? or upgrades?

Depending on how you answer, you might be best with overpaying for the 0w40.

The 5w40's are a good choice. Full synthetic 0w30, 5w30, 10w30, or 10w40 are also be options.

0w40 Mobil1 is always a good choice.
ANY full synthetic 5w40(T6, TDT, Syntec, ESP...) or 10w40(M1 HM, Syntec) will work well.
For some, the 30's(Edge,PU, M1-EP, M1-HM, M1-ESP, MaxlifeSynthetic, Edge, GC,) should be acceptable too.

Originally Posted By: Dan55
I had a 2000 Passat GLX and the owners manual said 5-40 or 5-30 Dino.

ive never seen a 5w40 dino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back