Walmart Everstart Maxx lasted 4 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart batteries sold in the northeast are manufactured by East Penn. Walmart batteries sold everywhere else are manufactured by JCI. The WalMart JCI batteries that we get here in the south are manufactured in Mexico.
Wherever you go in the USA, regardless of the name on the battery or store you buy it from, all of the flooded cell lead/acid car batteries are manufactured by one of three companies... JCI, East Penn, or Exide. Any one of them can manufacture a battery that is defective. It is simply luck of the draw.
IMO, Walmart's battery warranty sucks.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Seems curious that Zee09 knows something that Consumer Reports missed... EverStarts were actually reviewed pretty positively. There are always outliers though, especially depending on the battery care performed during its life.

Jokes seem to elude you and sad to say the bible of truth and wisdom is not Consumer Reports.

Just saying...…...

My Z came with a Walmart Everstart Maxx battery when I bought it and is going strong after at least 6 years now. Still tests good. Admittedly, that car is easy on batteries. Hardly ever seems to make a full rotation before it fires up and has minimal electronic gizmos. My 7.3 PSD also had Everstart Maxx batteries when I bought it and they are at least 4 years old now and still test good.

My Quest van however, seems to be a lot harder on them. The last two batteries where the top O'Reilly ones and both of them died exactly 2 months out of warranty. At $170 and no pro-rated warranty, I grabbed an Everstart at Walmart for it about 6 months ago. At $70 less and a pro-rated warranty, it seemed like a chance to take. So far, so good with these.

Originally Posted by wag123
Walmart batteries sold in the northeast are manufactured by East Penn. Walmart batteries sold everywhere else are manufactured by JCI. The WalMart JCI batteries that we get here in the south are manufactured in Mexico.
Wherever you go in the USA, regardless of the name on the battery or store you buy it from, all of the flooded cell lead/acid car batteries are manufactured by one of three companies... JCI, East Penn, or Exide. Any one of them can manufacture a battery that is defective. It is simply luck of the draw.

I emailed East Penn recently to see if any of the nearby Walmarts were supplied by them. Below is their response. I went to one of the stores and found about half of them were made by EP. The three closest Walmarts to me aren't on the list so had to travel 15 miles, all hwy mostly. But stores to the east, west and south are on the list. I bought a Value Power made by EP on 12/18. They look much nicer than the JCI counterpart when next to each other. I noted a number of differences.

You are correct. Some Wal-Mart's sell East Penn product and some sell Johnson Controls. Currently the only section of Ohio that we service is the North East corner. I have listed some of the cities that we service so hopefully one will be near you.

Fairlawn

Canton

North Canton

Middlefield

Mentor

Parma

Mayfield Heights

South Point

Napoleon

Sandusky

Millersburg

Lorain

Originally Posted by Donald
Does your MAXX battery say what company made the MAXX battery. They use to say "JCI" but they do not say anything except Walmart when I looked recently.

When I went to a store that supplies both EP and JCI batteries the ones made by EP had no markings on who made it except the first two letters of the model/serial number began with EP on the top of the battery. The ones made by JCI said made by them.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Any battery should test in the upper 12 volt range when charged, optimally above 13 volts. 12.1 or 12.2 after being charged is no good. I have bough AC DELCO batteries from Menards the last couple times I needed a battery. We will see how they hold up. Don't know who manufactures them. Same price as Walmarts batteries.

If your regular lead acid batteries are reading 13volts I'd go buy a new meter.

Probably got one which sat on their shelf a long time. I always got 5-8 years from each of my Everstarts. Probably a fluke.

Last edited:
A fully charged lead acid battery should run from 12.6 to 12.8 volts.
A good volt meter to test the battery and charging system will work just fine.
A battery hydrometer is better than any load tester.
EverStart Maxx batteries in my area are JCI made in Mexico.

Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by sloinker
Any battery should test in the upper 12 volt range when charged, optimally above 13 volts. 12.1 or 12.2 after being charged is no good. I have bough AC DELCO batteries from Menards the last couple times I needed a battery. We will see how they hold up. Don't know who manufactures them. Same price as Walmarts batteries.

If your regular lead acid batteries are reading 13volts I'd go buy a new meter.

I test battery banks a few times weekly. 60 single cell, lead acid batteries. The batteries are probably 8 times the physical size of a normal battery. We series these batteries to produce 135VDC which is utilized on our medium voltage General Electric Magne blast breakers. These 60 batteries @70F individually run from 2.10-2.30 VDC. 6 times 2.10 is 12.6VDC, 6 times 2.30 is 13.8VDC. Works the same in a multi cell battery. Maybe you should buy YOURSELF a new meter. I just went out and measured the 3 vehicles and one atv in my garage. The three vehicles range from 12.9 to 13.08 volts and are all lead acid batteries. The atv is 12.3V and is an agm battery. I use a Fluke 789 process meter. Look it up yourself.

sloinker
You are exactly right. It's not that complicated to diagnose a bad battery if you know what you are doing.

Originally Posted by wag123

Not in this part of the NE, they are JC in the stores I have looked at. Course I didn't go and look in every store.

It's kind of stupid they are not EP in all areas of the northeast... East Penn being in Pennsylvania obviously would make a ton of sense. A simple short drive in all areas in that region. I'm glad that in my area they are EP. And it is likely a farther drive coming to southern Va then it is going to your area...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back