Walmart Everstart Maxx lasted 4 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Battery Everystart Maxx 78. I noticed it cranking a little slow and tested it with a volt meter. It read about 12.1 so I put a battery charger on it. It charged to about 12.3 and I drove it for a week. I tested it again and it tested 12.1 so I charged it again. After charging a 2nd time it read 12.3 volts again. One week later when getting ready for a fishing trip it was completely dead. Walmart said it had a dead cell. Walmart changed it out but I missed the fishing trip. The battery before this Walmart battery was the expensive one from Orielly's and it lasted 6 years.

I have another Everstart Maxx in a different vehicle that is 1 year old. I checked it and the meter shows 12.3 volts. After charging it only goes up to 12.4 volts. I checked with 2 meters to make sure I am getting correct voltage. Is this battery headed down the same path as the 4 month old battery?

The batteries are in 2 different vehicles. The replacement battery for the 4 month old battery now reads 12.5 volts.
I have 6 other batteries besides these 2 truck batteries and they show 12.6. Thanks.

What voltage are you showing while driving. How long are your trips. When you said you 'charged' the battery, how long and at what voltage.

Don't really have enough information to go on just yet.

Welcome to the world of junky Walmart Everstart Maxx batteries. I have had 2 go bad in my Optima in under 4 years. JCI seconds? Who knows. I will never buy another one. The answer to your second question is yes. That battery is headed down the same road.

Last edited:
To test batteries, you need load tester.

If there is a Harbor Freight nearby, you can get a load tester for about $20 or so.

My trips are 12-15 miles. I really don't have short trips. While the engine is running the voltage is around 14.5.

The 2 batteries I use the most are the Everstart Maxx. I wanted what I thought was the best batteries on the 2 I use the most but not so sure now.
When charging it is on an automatic charger that shuts itself off when it gets to 100%. Charging time is about an hour to 1.5 hours. The charging voltage ranges depending on the setting from 14.5 to about 15.8. I tried 10 amp and 15 amp settings and did not notice any difference.

This charger is used on 4 other lead acid batteries and they work great.
Out of the 9 batteries I have -only 2 get charged by a different charger. They are charged by an onboard charger - boat.

They used to be good batteries and when given a choice of them or Exide ... well you know.
Load testers can be found in many auto parts and automotive sections ... and last a long time ...

I think you need to try a new charger.

1 to 1.5 hours on the charger doesn't seem long enough. And 15.8 volts seems a little high to me.

6 to 10 amps seems about right for that size battery. I'd use the lower charge amperage, rather than 15 amps.

Seems curious that Zee09 knows something that Consumer Reports missed... EverStarts were actually reviewed pretty positively. There are always outliers though, especially depending on the battery care performed during its life.

Originally Posted by Donald
Does your MAXX battery say what company made the MAXX battery. They use to say "JCI" but they do not say anything except Walmart when I looked recently.

The ones in the Walmarts around here say plain as day something along the lines of "Manufactured by Johnson Controls..." and a location of Wisconsin (??) as I recall.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Donald
Does your MAXX battery say what company made the MAXX battery. They use to say "JCI" but they do not say anything except Walmart when I looked recently.

The ones in the Walmarts around here say plain as day something along the lines of "Manufactured by Johnson Controls..." and a location of Wisconsin (??) as I recall.

Assuming you looked recently, then I can only conclude that in some areas of the country the Everstart MAXX batteries are made by JCI and other areas its unknown.

There is a dud once in a while for all the manufacturers. I have used many EverStart batteries over the years. I used to use Energizer batteries from Sam's until they changed their warranty. EverStart batteries are hard to beat on price combined with the warranty they offer.

What good would a load tester be?? If the voltage stays low after charging, then you very likely have a problem. You can load test the battery all day long but Walmart will NOT listen to your test and test it with their equipment. AAP will test the entire electrical system for free, and provide a printout of the results, save the $20 !!

Any battery should test in the upper 12 volt range when charged, optimally above 13 volts. 12.1 or 12.2 after being charged is no good. I have bough AC DELCO batteries from Menards the last couple times I needed a battery. We will see how they hold up. Don't know who manufactures them. Same price as Walmarts batteries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back