VW504 Castrol Edge 5W30 LL or Valvoline Synpower XL-III 5w30?

Looking to do an oil change on my Mk7 Golf R and where we live we follow the VW 504 standard as our fuel is up to scratch.

Which oil would you go for? I like how the Valvoline meets API SP to help with LSPI but ive always been a fan of Castrol.

I just changed the oil in my mk8 GTI with Mobil 1 ESP 0w-30 504 spec. I used it in my Atlas Cross Sport and A4 in the past. Now available at AutoZone at a reasonable price. Can’t really go wrong with either of your choices.

The castrol is regularly on sale and the valvoline isn't.

I recently bought 5 jugs of Castrol Edge LL for $23.99 each and they are API SP.

Reactions: SR5
VW 504.00 / 507.00 is the most stringent of the VW oil specifications. It’s not easy to get and I would trust any oil that carries it. In that respect you can consider them all equivalent. So buying on price or convenience is acceptable.

Mobil1 ESP 5W30 from Auto Zone or AAP, $37 5qt. Second choice would be Mobil1 ESP 0W30 from Wal mart, $28 for 5qt. I would go Motul X-Clean 0W30 EFE before Valvoline or Castrol, but it is probably pricey.

Looking to do an oil change on my Mk7 Golf R and where we live we follow the VW 504 standard as our fuel is up to scratch.

Which oil would you go for? I like how the Valvoline meets API SP to help with LSPI but ive always been a fan of Castrol.
That engine is not susceptible to LSPI. Euro engines, in general, are not, and usually happen with bad tunes.
Besides that, MB229.52 has LSPI test.

The castrol is regularly on sale and the valvoline isn't.

I recently bought 5 jugs of Castrol Edge LL for $23.99 each and they are API SP.
Weird, cause im in New Zealand. Our Castrol edge 5w30 LL only meets ACEA C3, VW 504/507, MB-Approval 229.31 / 229.51 and BMW Longlife-04. But there is no API cert on it.

Mobil1 ESP 5W30 from Auto Zone or AAP, $37 5qt. Second choice would be Mobil1 ESP 0W30 from Wal mart, $28 for 5qt. I would go Motul X-Clean 0W30 EFE before Valvoline or Castrol, but it is probably pricey.
Motul is pretty expensive here, Mobil is too, even on sale.

Easy to choose. Close eyes. Point. Done. Seriously, either is great since both have 504. Gen3 EA888 will eat anything so API is irrelevant (is anyway). LSPI is non-issue too. If both are close in price, stock up on each. Swap every other OCI to let different detergent/add packs do their thing. Or do the best way to pick; which has the coolest bottle colors?

Easy to choose. Close eyes. Point. Done. Seriously, either is great since both have 504. Gen3 EA888 will eat anything so API is irrelevant (is anyway). LSPI is non-issue too. If both are close in price, stock up on each. Swap every other OCI to let different detergent/add packs do their thing. Or do the best way to pick; which has the coolest bottle colors?
I like the coolest colours idea, if it catches my eye I'll buy it.

It’s not coolest color, it’s the color of the bottle that matches the color of your car. That is the best way to choose an oil. Yellow car, Pennzoil. Green Kawasaki uses Quaker State.

Back