VW ID.4 Nice, Plenty Available around here as of May 2023

At this point unless I needed the car I'd wait to see where the GM platform comes in.

I have had my ID.4 for ~8 months now. Bought lightly used so no tax credit but the discount was tax credit + a little icing so it was worthwhile.

8 months later I am still very pleased with my ID.4. It is built just as solidly as any VW, rides and handles like a VW and overall has been a pleasure like all my VW's have been. Yes the software updates have been a mess but seems they are reeling that in as my car will be in next month for the update that should hopefully then allow OTA updates.

ID.4 is an agreeable CUV/BEV - its a BEV CUV pretending to be an ICE CUV.

I have had my ID.4 for ~8 months now. Bought lightly used so no tax credit but the discount was tax credit + a little icing so it was worthwhile.

8 months later I am still very pleased with my ID.4. It is built just as solidly as any VW, rides and handles like a VW and overall has been a pleasure like all my VW's have been. Yes the software updates have been a mess but seems they are reeling that in as my car will be in next month for the update that should hopefully then allow OTA updates.

ID.4 is an agreeable CUV/BEV - its a BEV CUV pretending to be an ICE CUV.
It's always great to hear feedback/follow up from people after they owned something for a while. Both good and bad. Very cool, glad it's working out well for you.
Wife and I both love the look, we have always been partial to the unique look of European styling and call me crazy but we think VW got the ID.4 perfect.

Though never owned any, except my son who has a new BMW every year or so, due to BMWs employee plan. Plus he has his own X5 for his wife.
I think anyone who owns any of these cars expects almost as a novelty some minor issues that need to be fixed vs Asian vehicles.

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 10.55.58 AM.jpg

Last edited:
The ID.4 is one of the few EVs I find pleasing to look at, although I am admittedly VW biased.
I make good money but I have to do some really stupid stuff and really weird times to make it, but doesn’t require formal education. I’m 300 miles from home for the second time this week.

Man that post could go a LOT of directions! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

It's a great indicator of current supply and demand as well as an indication of where the " sales" went.

To contrast check same areas supply of rav4 primes.

There is a lot to like about the ID4 if you can accept its limitations. It only falls behind on multistop trips.

View attachment 156045

Toyota cannot/will not get production up to speed. Toyota lots are empty.

Every other manufacturer has well stocked lots.

Yes the software updates have been a mess but seems they are reeling that in as my car will be in next month for the update that should hopefully then allow OTA updates.

Were you involved in the inverter recall?

I trying to understand exactly what your post means.

Do you mean you have not been able to do any OTA for the various recalls but have had to return to the dealers and that the "next one" will unlock the OTA ability?

Some ID owners have claims they feel abandoned by VW and are really dev work on their cars will just stop.

Toyota cannot/will not get production up to speed. Toyota lots are empty.

Every other manufacturer has well stocked lots.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. The Hyundai ionics are hard to get.
I never did see a 69K Vette, although I hear one or two actually exist I get why dealers wont waste allotment on them.
I wouldn't mind waiting for a car, but I wont be gouged above MSRP.

It may not behoove Toyota to make more PHEV's anyway as they most likely aren't as profitable.

So the inverter recall is basically the software update, VW did a wave of invite only updates late last year or early this year and they ran into a number of problems so they halted them or it was planned to go that way so they could refine the update process. Then all of a sudden this "inverter recall" gets pushed through NHTSA and its basically the same software update just with the safety factor of an inverter problem tossed in, no one really knows what happened here and people have been musing that VWoA created the inverter safety concern to force a recall to get the German mothership to bite the bullet and git er dun.

The in shop update that are happening now are supposed to then allow all future updates to be OTA but we shall see. There have been no OTA updates in North America and it is not possible on cars on software versions older than 3.1 (the in shop update I will see next month). VW was able to do some OTA on EU cars that I think were on software v2.4 but apparently they ran into problems there so they halted that as well and are calling the cars back to shop to update to v3.1/3.2.

It's kind of a mess and yeah I imagine some of the original owners that have had their ID.4 for 2+ years now without a single update definitely feel abandoned but it seems VW is finally addressing that with the in shop 3.1 update. I don't see the software development stopping as the ID.4 in current form will probably be sold for another 3-5 years with a facelift/refresh coming in 2024 for rest of world and 2025 for North America - even if there are significant hardware changes I can't imagine them just shutting off software updates for the first 4 years of owners.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. The Hyundai ionics are hard to get.
I never did see a 69K Vette, although I hear one or two actually exist I get why dealers wont waste allotment on them.

It may not behoove Toyota to make more PHEV's anyway as they most likely aren't as profitable.

Ioniq 5 availability has opened way up since they lost tax credit. Right now there are 150 available (only 19 in transit meaning 131 sitting on lots) within 50 miles of me in all trim levels in prices from $43k to $60k.

Ioniq 5 availability has opened way up since they lost tax credit. Right now there are 150 available (only 19 in transit meaning 131 sitting on lots) within 50 miles of me in all trim levels in prices from $43k to $60k.

Yeah the 5s have loosened up the high end 6 I think they call it the limited is what I was looking for and there were about 350 of them in the same 500 mile radius from me, but the dealers are asking over MSRP.

Were you involved in the inverter recall?

I trying to understand exactly what your post means.

Do you mean you have not been able to do any OTA for the various recalls but have had to return to the dealers and that the "next one" will unlock the OTA ability?

Some ID owners have claims they feel abandoned by VW and are really dev work on their cars will just stop.
I wonder about VW with the OTA updates. I love the brand, but this approach is probably out of their wheelhouse. I hope to see them do well and honestly as an owner of a VW and a Tesla, I find myself more connected to VW as a brand.

It’s not just electrics, Toyota seems to be short on everything.

Not really a fan of the ID4. I looked into them, but they just do nothing well.
It's too mainstream if anything. I think that's what I see with it. I would think that would be a reason why you wouldn't find it attractive, being more into enthusiast level vehicles.

It's too mainstream if anything. I think that's what I see with it. I would think that would be a reason why you wouldn't find it attractive, being more into enthusiast level vehicles.
That 15 minute test charge guy just did a you tube on the base model with the smaller battery and rear wheel drive?
He REALLY liked the car id4
I know nothing about it, but he was impressed with the charging time as well as everything else about the car.

It’s true in the forums, especially with a new technology and vehicles that most people are enthusiasts.
However, this is not the general public, at least the way I feel once GM and Toyota start cranking out these cars.
It’s not gonna be about the technology. It’s a going to be about the marketing spin and the fact that people can drive down the block, sit in one at the local dealership, leave their old car behind and drive out with a new one.

Instant gratification among Americans will never die, however, enthusiasts may be willing to wait

I’m convinced that electric vehicles in their current form only will be the equivalent of the disposable lighter of the 1960s and 70s

Last edited:
That 15 minute test charge guy just did a you tube on the base model with the smaller battery and rear wheel drive?
He REALLY liked the car id4
I know nothing about it, but he was impressed with the charging time as well as everything else about the car.

It’s true in the forums, especially with a new technology and vehicles that most people are enthusiasts.
However, this is not the general public, at least the way I feel once GM and Toyota start cranking out these cars.
It’s not gonna be about the technology. It’s a going to be about the marketing spin and the fact that people can drive down the block, sit in one at the local dealership, leave their old car behind and drive out with a new one.

Instant gratification among Americans will never die, however, enthusiasts may be willing to wait

I’m convinced that electric vehicles in their current form only will be the equivalent of the disposable lighter of the 1960s and 70s
The ID.4 is good. I ordered one. After 8 months of waiting I ordered a Model 3 instead and had it in 7 weeks. If it wasn't for the lack of communication from VW and people with half the wait getting close their deals and receive cars I had enough waiting.

We needed to replace a car and after 8 months we had no idea when we'd get a car and couldn't get an answer to narrow it down. It could be called impatient, but what it became was impractical.

Back