VW ID.4 Nice, Plenty Available around here as of May 2023

Least expensive one would be a good second around town car for my wife.
Still kind of pricey for that they are and forget it if the taxpayers weren't paying over 20% of the cost.
With that said, I like the styling of German cars, always have. (never owned one though)

They had 5 on my local lot in Madison, WI. 2 of them used. Was surprised to see that many on hand when we couldn’t even get to the second stage of ordering the year before. They seem like a nice vehicle in a rounded, boring way. I’m sure we still would have enjoyed it, but they miss some of the VW charm. I kind of wish they used more VW styling instead of just rounding it off so much. They are a nice refined driving experience.

Dont forget if you dont make 80k+ you arent supposed to buy an electric car.
or else why is the tax credit the way it is?

Its quite odd who thought it was a good idea to make it such that if you earn less you pay more for your electric car?
easy fix let the tax credit carry over.

Local VW dealers lot is very full with all models - nearly 2020 levels.

We liked the ID.4 but it’s too small and limited for a family hauler. It would work as a third car but I’m loathe to have two vehicles, let alone 3.

We will stick with our Atlas/Tacoma combo for now.

Dont forget if you dont make 80k+ you arent supposed to buy an electric car.
or else why is the tax credit the way it is?

Its quite odd who thought it was a good idea to make it such that if you earn less you pay more for your electric car?
easy fix let the tax credit carry over.

It just goes towards your tax bill. It doesn't credit beyond your owed amount for that year. I don't know if that's how it always was before this, but I bought while the credit was dead so I don't know.

$80k+ wouldn't give you the full credit as far as I know. I think it would take $100k single. I know that with what I paid in for a family of 4 I wouldn't have got the full credit.

Local VW dealers lot is very full with all models - nearly 2020 levels.
The car isnt selling so everyones got them on the lots.

It's a nice car, but simply isn't competitive in most measurable categories the most important one being how much time does it add to a long trip.

Last edited:
It just goes towards your tax bill. It doesn't credit beyond your owed amount for that year. I don't know if that's how it always was before this, but I bought while the credit was dead so I don't know.

$80k+ wouldn't give you the full credit as far as I know. I think it would take $100k single. I know that with what I paid in for a family of 4 I wouldn't have got the full credit.
I think its closer to 70-75k if you have no deducts at all and single.

Why is this setup this way? I mean @JeffKeryk probably needed 7500 off his tesla less than the guy working at walmart for 30k a year.
but again to fix it they would just need to allow it to rollover for 2 or 3 years.

80k a year might be nothing in certain parts of the country but in the vast majority its beyond basic income well into good job territory.

Last edited:
The car isnt selling so everyones got them on the lots.

It's a nice car, but simply isn't competitive in most measurable categories the most important one being how much time does it add to a long trip.
In the USA it’s 18% of VW sales reported for the 4th quarter of 2022 which is it’s first quarter that it’s USA EV plant opened in TN.
(6.8%for the year but those previous 1,2,3 quarters was tight supply from overseas as the TN EV plant only started USA production August 2022.

Last edited:
The VIN is key on those. They need to be US built ones to qualify for the tax credit. Anything with German VIN is $$$$ now with October expiration.

My sis in so lucked out picking up a RAV4 Prime EV (on call wait list) just before expiration and got $9k in state and federal tax credits.

Why is this setup this way? I mean @JeffKeryk probably needed 7500 off his tesla less than the guy working at walmart for 30k a year.
but again to fix it they would just need to allow it to rollover for 2 or 3 years.

80k a year might be nothing in certain parts of the country but in the vast majority its beyond basic income well into good job territory.

I’ve got nothing on that as it is very regional. I make good money but I have to do some really stupid stuff and really weird times to make it, but doesn’t require formal education. I’m 300 miles from home for the second time this week.

This is a really good post, I never much thought about this aspect of the tax credit. I agree with you but interestingly the majority of the public who's income is lower vote for this and why its important to be informed.

Last edited:
In the USA it’s 18% of VW sales reported for the 4th quarter of 2022 which is it’s first quarter that it’s USA EV plant opened in TN.
(6.8%for the year but those previous 1,2,3 quarters was tight supply from overseas as the TN EV plant only started USA production August 2022.

"Sold" to who though - an end user or a dealer? Can you provide a link to that source data?

I've seen contradicting information on their actual volume in 2022 as a %.

This may be a great opportunity for you if it otherwise fits the bill and you like it.

Just for snicks I did a search within 500 miles of my house and there are almost 2000 new units available.

Screenshot 2023-05-14 at 10.44.05 AM.jpg

Just for snicks I did a search within 500 miles of my house and there are almost 2000 new units available.

That area is also around 50,000,000 people and stretches from San Diego to almost Seattle. 2,000 cars for almost the entire West Coast of the USA (and largest EV markets) is rather small in my opinion.

That area is also around 50,000,000 people and stretches from San Diego to almost Seattle. 2,000 cars for almost the entire West Coast of the USA (and largest EV markets) is rather small in my opinion.

It's a great indicator of current supply and demand as well as an indication of where the " sales" went.

To contrast check same areas supply of rav4 primes.

There is a lot to like about the ID4 if you can accept its limitations. It only falls behind on multistop trips.

Screenshot 2023-05-14 at 11.42.26 AM.jpg

Last edited:
This is a really good post, I never much thought about this aspect of the tax credit. I agree with you but interestingly the majority of the public who's income is lower vote for this and why its important to be informed.
Lower tax payers may not get the full benefit, but if they over the base income they get partial benefit.
Of course if you pay no income taxes, there is no benefit. CA had a benefit when we got our car, but I did not qualify.

"Sold" to who though - an end user or a dealer? Can you provide a link to that source data?

I've seen contradicting information on their actual volume in 2022 as a %.

This may be a great opportunity for you if it otherwise fits the bill and you like it.
You should be able to find that data, your more than capable ;)
Just kidding you, sort of, it's out there as you can see from your own post. If I run across it again I'll post or we may just have to wait *LOL* if I cant find the link, darn it, I think you are right, and of course cant find the link (even so I think the writer, like so many of them incompetent (if you know me I normally post links dont know why I didnt) anyway so I did my own calculating directly from VW financials ... first glance I think what you posted makes more sense and honestly? I need to get going here *LOL* and dont want to spend any more time... (but I will post the link if I ever run across it again so you dont think I am nuts.
Page 2 is the BEV

SOURCE = https://www.volkswagenag.com/en/InvestorRelations.html
But not the source I used the other day and if you want to spend time going through this, here you go! Way more than interests me!

Ahhh.. here is another interesting report as the others I posted above, direct from VW NORTH AMERICAN BEV DELIEVERIES up 98% Jan to March 2023 over 2022. ACTUAL Deliveries
Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 10.50.41 AM.png

Source = https://www.volkswagenag.com/en/new...s-42-percent-more-all-electric-vehicles-.html
Its clear the new TN EV facility boasted the USA sales.

Wouldnt it be nice if Tesla provided North American/USA sales numbers?

Last edited:
You should be able to find that data, your more than capable ;)
Just kidding you, sort of, it's out there as you can see from your own post. If I run across it again I'll post or we may just have to wait *LOL* if I cant find the link, darn it, I think you are right, and of course cant find the link (even so I think the writer, like so many of them incompetent (if you know me I normally post links dont know why I didnt) anyway so I did my own calculating directly from VW financials ... first glance I think what you posted makes more sense and honestly? I need to get going here *LOL* and dont want to spend any more time... (but I will post the link if I ever run across it again so you dont think I am nuts.
Page 2 is the BEV

SOURCE = https://www.volkswagenag.com/en/InvestorRelations.html
But not the source I used the other day and if you want to spend time going through this, here you go! Way more than interests me!

Ahhh.. here is another interesting report as the others I posted above, direct from VW NORTH AMERICAN BEV DELIEVERIES up 98% Jan to March 2023 over 2022. ACTUAL Deliveries
View attachment 156175
Source = https://www.volkswagenag.com/en/new...s-42-percent-more-all-electric-vehicles-.html
Its clear the new TN EV facility boasted the USA sales.

Wouldnt it be nice if Tesla provided North American/USA sales numbers?
Thanks.

Even though they offer up a report apparently it had mistakes in it so Inside EV's used their own number gleaned from 3rd parties.

They certainly dont make it easy to pull specific info from the report they do print so its always easier to look at the third party numbers anyway. I can get pretty much any number I want from third parties on Teslas sales (and everyone else's pretty much) so even though they dont publish it's still easy to find.

Note that graph you posted doesnt specifically call out he ID.4 but BEV's.

My go to is typically goodcarbadcar, but they are North American Centric.
Id.4 is having a great bump from year to year clearly the channel has the cars to sell, so it will be interesting to see how the year shakes out.

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 8.35.48 AM.jpg

It will be interesting to see where this car and the MEB platform in general goes.

Back