Rental review - 2021 VW Atlas SE 3.6 4Motion. 702 miles & 19 hours 23 mins behind the wheel.

2.0T is a much better option.
I was considering VR6 in 2018, but here at this altitude, it just felt anemic. They did not have 4Motion 2.0T back then.
Last year I drove 2.0T, and it is much more potent and handles better, too bcs. less weight in front.
But, of family SUV's, nothing comes close to it utility-wise.
Idk anything about vw’s, but I did read all the 4cylinder atlas engines are recalled due to poorly manufactured rods? Not that it can’t be a good running motor still, but sounds like they’ll all need new engines or at least new rods, either of which repair id rather not have done on my car by a dealer tech being under paid for warranty work.

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2023
Idk anything about vw’s, but I did read all the 4cylinder atlas engines are recalled due to poorly manufactured rods? Not that it can’t be a good running motor still, but sounds like they’ll all need new engines or at least new rods, either of which repair id rather not have done on my car by a dealer tech being under paid for warranty work.
It's only a limited number not "all" of them.

Last edited:

pezzy84

Why not drive the iD4?
Time constraints (wish we had EU style vacation structures at work) and trip was already planned when I still had my short range E-Golf. Had time been on our side we very much would have considered making the trek in the ID.4. Anything beyond 4-5 hours driving we typically fly anyways, living 12 miles from a megahub with a ton of non-stop connectivity is a nice perk.
I really liked keeping my parents' ID.4 for a week while they were out of town but the Pro S trim they bought for the larger battery is $48K MSRP, I believe. The Atlas SE with Technology is about $8-$10K less, you can buy a lot of gas for that.
You would be surprised at how quickly that $8-10k would diminish especially if you have free charging available to you (new ID.4 owners get 3 years of 30 minutes free charging at Electrify America) or if you live in areas with decent electric rates. My home electricity rates run ~$.162/kwh all in with taxes/fees/nuclear plant construction costs/etc. - charging from 0-80% for ~190 miles of range would run me a little under $10 for ~61kwh of battery charge if I charged at home. Atlas using combined rating of 18 would require ~$41 in regular unleaded @ $3.89/gallon at current prices. Let's say 79 "fill ups" per year to get 15,000 miles - ID.4 would run ~$790 charging at home, Atlas would be ~$3,240 with the added perk of 79 trips to a gas station.