VW ID.4 - Electrified CUV - $40k starting.

It is not beneficial to BEV's to keep them at 100% all the time as it is hard on the batteries and causes them to degrade faster, some more intense BEV fans limit their charge to 80% to preserve battery life. I don't go that far and I still charge to 100% but run it down to 10-15% before I plug back in. Apparently EV batteries happy resting spot is between 10-80% SOC.

Regardless - the car will stop drawing power once it is full so its not like running a dryer full bore all night long.

Go start

igortheelectriccarguy.com.

Nothing wrong with that at all by the way....

I believe people should have the liberty to do something like that.

Just like people should have the liberty to drive what works for them... Or what suits their needs.

Last edited:
It is not beneficial to BEV's to keep them at 100% all the time as it is hard on the batteries and causes them to degrade faster, some more intense BEV fans limit their charge to 80% to preserve battery life. I don't go that far and I still charge to 100% but run it down to 10-15% before I plug back in. Apparently EV batteries happy resting spot is between 10-80% SOC.

Regardless - the car will stop drawing power once it is full so its not like running a dryer full bore all night long.
The Audi batteries are sandbagged from what I recall and 100% is not actually 100% SoC to:
A) Prevent there being damage from people trying to keep it "fully charged" (human nature)
B) Provide margin for battery degradation over the battery warranty period.

Keeping the batteries charged up just like keeping your gas tank filled is a prudent measure especially now that winter is approaching. It makes sense if you live in a region that is affected by weather or other predicaments.

Until the load shifts and that period is no longer low demand, that's what's inevitable if things get back to normal and people want to charge at home. Not an issue if you've got a fleet of nukes, much more of an issue if you want to try and depend on solar.

I wonder how long a shift in use like that takes?

..and we dont have a fleet of nukes. Our nukes? compared to your program our feels lacking.
Giant assemblies installed backwards, continuous shutdowns...

On charging the teslas Ive driven default to 80% you manually over ride that if you want to take a full charge like prior to a road trip.

I wonder how long a shift in use like that takes?

..and we dont have a fleet of nukes. Our nukes? compared to your program our feels lacking.
Giant assemblies installed backwards, continuous shutdowns...

On charging the teslas Ive driven default to 80% you manually over ride that if you want to take a full charge like prior to a road trip.

Dunno, but I expect we'll be finding out in the next few years if momentum continues as it has. :)

Looks like the new Tesla 'tabless' cells are going to be able to take the heat considerably better. This should speed up charging and is known to increase output rate considerably. Ever faster EV's!!!

Unfortunately, the specific energy is improved only incrementally (as much as 16% per cell, by weight) (some of this is due to simple geometry) (unfortunately the cell is larger, wasting space) , the additional range and battery ouput is (at least partially) from ever larger 4680 cells and ever larger and heavier battery packs. Musk says that the capacity is above 100KWH and that it is a larger battery pack.

There is no question the Model S "plaid" will be fast. There is also no question that at $140,000, only a select few of us can afford it (I certainly can't) . That's 3 years take home pay for the average American worker. The idea that a capable, long range EV will be affordable looks as distant as ever.

Last edited:
Looks like the new Tesla 'tabless' cells are going to be able to take the heat considerably better. This should speed up charging and is known to increase output rate considerably. Ever faster EV's!!!

Unfortunately, the specific energy is improved only incrementally, the additional range and battery ouput is (at least partially) from ever larger and heavier battery packs. Musk says that the capacity is above 100KWH and that it is a larger battery pack.

There is no question the Model S "plaid" will be fast. There is also no question that at $140,000, only a select few of us can afford it (I certainly can't) . That's 3 years take home pay for the average American worker. The idea that a capable, long range EV will be affordable looks as distant as ever.

Yeah rather than the electrons having to flow all the way to each end furthest from the tab - they only have to flow through the length of the cell.

My take was that although capacity per cell was incrementally improved which is always nice - the newer pack design as a stressed element allows for superior packaging more energy per sq/m and less weight - so much like all things tesla - all the incrementals add up to a package that keeps them in the lead.

UD

Last edited:
There are 2 cars with a 500 mile range and neither are released. The Lucid Air ($160K) and the Model S Plaid ($140K).
The cheapest Model 3 is $38K and the range is about 250 miles. Still too expensive for many people and not enough range for many situations.
You could almost buy 2 Honda Civics for that price. And their range is what, 400 miles on a tank of rag?
Yesterday I drove my grand niece's 2013 Civic LX from Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base (San Diego) to our house in Silicon Valley, about 440 miles.
Pretty much made it on 1 tank and in a little over 6 hours. That would never happen in our Model 3.
The wheels of progress turn slowly...

There are 2 cars with a 500 mile range and neither are released. The Lucid Air ($160K) and the Model S Plaid ($140K).
The cheapest Model 3 is $38K and the range is about 250 miles. Still too expensive for many people and not enough range for many situations.
You could almost buy 2 Honda Civics for that price. And their range is what, 400 miles on a tank of rag?
Yesterday I drove my grand niece's 2013 Civic LX from Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base (San Diego) to our house in Silicon Valley, about 440 miles.
Pretty much made it on 1 tank and in a little over 6 hours. That would never happen in our Model 3.
The wheels of progress turn slowly...

How many stops do you make ?

I have about the same regulalr drive I make about 10 times a year - la to penn valley about 460 mi.

I stop twice, one combo stop where I get a meal, fill up and bio - and usually one more quick stop for bio break.

Tesla gave me a 2 stop route plan, maybe adds 15 min to what I do anyway- might be net neutral between the two stops if I go in a resturant for one meal.

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 3.18.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 3.17.40 PM.png

How many stops do you make ?

I have about the same regulalr drive I make about 10 times a year - la to penn valley about 460 mi.

I stop twice, one combo stop where I get a meal, fill up and bio - and usually one more quick stop for bio break.

Tesla gave me a 2 stop route plan, maybe adds 15 min to what I do anyway- might be net neutral between the two stops if I go in a resturant for one meal.

View attachment 30389View attachment 30390
Dave - We were dropped off at Camp Pendleton just before 11:00 AM. The 2013 Civic LX had 1/4 tank. We drove for maybe 1/2 hour and gassed up at an Arco in San Juan Capistrano. Drove straight to Gilroy and stopped for gas, but could have made it to Los Gatos. We brought water and trail mix. Home a little after 5:00 PM.

So yes, Tesla would add an hour or 2 max. Unless the chargers were full; sometimes ya gotta wait. Tesla is building a 56 Super Charger station near Fresno just for people like us. And the bazillion others.

Interestingly, there were close to 30 auto transport trucks carrying brand spanking new Teslas south from Fremont. They passed us sporadically all the way home. Sometimes 2 or 3 trucks in a row.

Last edited:
Now make a proper e-station wagon and I'm in.
You should go check one out. When I picked up my Touareg I got to play around with the ID.4. It's a great looking and great driving VW.

I love the car itself but a few key items need to change before I can seriously consider one. I want AWD, and I need a steering that isn't white.

Even still, if it had a third row I could probably get over those two things. I would also consider PPF on the front of the ID.4 a must-have. It has a completely vertical/flat front end.

You should go check one out. When I picked up my Touareg I got to play around with the ID.4. It's a great looking and great driving VW.

I love the car itself but a few key items need to change before I can seriously consider one. I want AWD, and I need a steering that isn't white.

Even still, if it had a third row I could probably get over those two things. I would also consider PPF on the front of the ID.4 a must-have. It has a completely vertical/flat front end.

AWD is coming and is higher performance (300HP IIRC).

Yeah that white steering wheel is a huge miss. I called this past weekend and inquired with the ID.4 salesperson and he had a great laugh when I told him I am not interested at all in the white steering wheel, he told me its either a love it or hate it based on feedback he has received but he said most people are not a fan. Sounds like the non-1st Edition models will have normal black/charcoal wheels and stalks/controls.

AWD is coming and is higher performance (300HP IIRC).

Yeah that white steering wheel is a huge miss. I called this past weekend and inquired with the ID.4 salesperson and he had a great laugh when I told him I am not interested at all in the white steering wheel, he told me its either a love it or hate it based on feedback he has received but he said most people are not a fan. Sounds like the non-1st Edition models will have normal black/charcoal wheels and stalks/controls.
That is my understanding as well. Here's hoping!

I read that it has drum brakes in the rear. Didn't get a chance to read the article that explained why.
Talking with a Tesla owner, he has a problem with rotors rusting on the friction surfaces from unuse. He commutes 50 miles per day and doesn’t baby it. He tells me that brake pads are a known frequent replacement item on Tesla’s because of this. Apparently they do a really good job of capturing regen. I wonder if the closed nature of drums reduces rusting.

Back