VW 6 yr warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see 72k/6 year to mean jack. If there is even a question of an issue in that time frame, I wouldn't even consider it. A typical car should go well beyond 100k/10 years with no issues....so why be swayed by the warranty.

Originally Posted By: faltic
Oh, and the gov has never lied about anything of importance. Truth be known all the manufactures are fudging the EPA rules. Someone with connections had it in for VW is all.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
They lied to government on their EPA tests what makes you think their going to honor their warranty?

so you believe in "fake news" too....

EPA emissions is a joke anyway.
When emissions start to force the manufacturer to make vehicles less efficient to meet emissions it's a catch 22.
Like ethanol gas. Use more energy and fuel to raise corn and waste water to make a fuel that is less efficient than pure crude oil gas and then claiming your saving the environment by using more gas.

They are the largest, or second largest auto company in the world---not Fiat Chrysler. So yes, they will honor the warranty.

I wouldn't think of having the car serviced anywhere but the dealer, though.

Sure, a car should go longer than that---but the risks are pretty attenuated by year six.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
EPA emissions is a joke anyway.
When emissions start to force the manufacturer to make vehicles less efficient to meet emissions it's a catch 22.
Like ethanol gas. Use more energy and fuel to raise corn and waste water to make a fuel that is less efficient than pure crude oil gas and then claiming your saving the environment by using more gas.
So pollute all they want so long as they aren't using as much oil in the ground?

It's called checks and balances. It is possible to have the best of both worlds.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
I don't see 72k/6 year to mean jack. If there is even a question of an issue in that time frame, I wouldn't even consider it. A typical car should go well beyond 100k/10 years with no issues....so why be swayed by the warranty.

True, but given the choice of paying for a big repair myself, or having the manufacturer pay for it? And unfortunately, the experiences of two friends with their Golfs over the last couple of years doesn't give me huge confidence in VW. With a 6 year warranty, I'd be moving the car on sometime in year 5...

I agree. I even expect my Chrysler "junk" to make it to 150K miles w/o any major issues and so far all my domestics have done at least that if I keep them long enough.

Originally Posted By: hpb

True, but given the choice of paying for a big repair myself, or having the manufacturer pay for it? And unfortunately, the experiences of two friends with their Golfs over the last couple of years doesn't give me huge confidence in VW. With a 6 year warranty, I'd be moving the car on sometime in year 5...

Well that's where you and I differ. I'm not going to even consider a VW if 6 years trouble free driving are in question.

With the exception of emissions warranty coverage, vehicle warranties and their lengths and coverage are marketing tools. Up until the mid 1980's, 12/12K was the norm for domestics and then Chrysler came out with the 6 year/60K miles warranty to gain market share and the "warranty wars" started and everybody had to up their game. The Koreans broke ground with 10 year/100K mile warranty to overcome perceived quality issues with the brands.

It does not surprise VW has come out with this updated coverage for 2018 given the recent "Diesel Gate" hit to the brands reputation.

If VW provided a bumper-to-bumper 10 year / 100K mile transferrable warranty, that would beat the questionable Korean warranty and make VW very attractive to the masses IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back