VW 2.0T Cam Follower Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 VW GTI 2.0T FSI
45k miles
No motor mods

Pulled my second cam follower at 45k total miles. Last one was replaced at 29k, so this was in for 16k miles. I was running a mix of 4 qts Redline 5w40, and 1 qt Redline Race w50 at 5k mile change intervals. It exhibited very similar wear patterns when compared to the previous follower.

Follower pulled @ 45k miles:

SDC11056.jpg

SDC11054.jpg

Follower pulled at 29k miles (running 5 qts Motul Xcess 5w40) for reference:

SDC10663-1.jpg

I have since switched to 4 qts RLI 5w40 and 1 qt RLI 20w50, and I am thoroughly impressed with the performance. I haven't burned 1 drop over my first 4k mile run, compared to 1/4 qt with the Redline. Will have a UOA shortly...

Last edited:
VW has extended their warranty for the fuel injector pump and wear surfaces. Check in to this.

Those sure are odd wear patterns on those buckets! I don't get the scratchy surface at all!

I never received a letter... seems like it only applies up until 2007 models.

The "scratchy" surface appearance on the follower changed @ 29k is not actually wear marks. The DLC coating is so thin that it was cracking, or delaminating in certain spots. This gave the appearance of cracks even though the surface of the follower was complete smooth.

I just find it interesting that the wear does not occur across the whole face of the follower, instead concentrating on the inner circle. This inner circle is the exact location where followers tend to punch out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back