CRC Intake Valve and Turbo cleaner on a 2013 Ford Focus

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Decided after 10 years/128.5K miles I'd do some intake cleaning on my (my son's now) 2013 Ford Focus - I've had this car since new. This has the DI non-turbo 2.0 w/5spd. Followed the directions on the can to a "T". Conveniently there was a port/sensor on the intake hose downstream of the MAF which made this v. easy. Had my son keep the RPM at 2K and pulsed the cleaner in until the car was empty. Ran it at a higher RPM then idle then off. Wait 1 hour. Drive it for 10 min on highway. Pulled out of our neighborhood and the audible knock/detonation scared me! This car is tuned and as such has to use 93 for the more aggressive timing from the tune. It smoked and pinged...I thought I blew it up the sound was so loud. Then poof! All was back to normal. Runs smooth as silk. Did the oil change after and used LM Engine Flush followed by 3.5 qt Supertech 5W20 and a bottle of HPL's 30 EC. Will change this out in a few mos/few K miles I think or maybe run it normal ~4-5K OCI and replace the filter after 2K. Should be right as rain for him to autocross now.

20230715_114801.jpg

20230715_131434.jpg

I have the exact same car except it's a 2014. It's got 72K and has been totally trouble free. Like you I bought a 5 speed because I was aware of the trouble prone DCT. I did my first Intake Cleaning @ 50K using the STP product which was really simple to use and I did notice a smoother (freer reving) engine afterwards. I'll probably do another cleaning at 80K.

Is the port/sensor you used at the end of the hose that has the little blue 'release tab' thing at the end in your picture? I'd use it next time if that's it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report.
I've just started looking at the VW Taos and intake cleaning comes up.
While walnut blasting is not the end of the world, it'd be nifty if this intake cleaning could be done chemically.

Also, you're on this as well as anyone here. Why the HPL engine cleaner?
Thanks

I have the exact same car except it's a 2014. It's got 72K and has been totally trouble free. Like you I bought a 5 speed because I was aware of the trouble prone DCT. I did my first Intake Cleaning @ 50K using the STP product which was really simple to use and I did notice a smoother (freer reving) engine afterwards. I'll probably do another cleaning at 80K.

Is the port/sensor you used at the end of the hose that has the little blue thing at the end in your picture? I'd use it next time if that's it. Thanks.
Yessir....that's the one!

This has been the lowest cost to own vehicle I've ever had. Bulletproof. The DCT was straight trash.

Thanks for the report.
I've just started looking at the VW Taos and intake cleaning comes up.
While walnut blasting is not the end of the world, it'd be nifty if this intake cleaning could be done chemically.

Also, you're on this as well as anyone here. Why the HPL engine cleaner?
Thanks
Firstly the concern on BITOG w/r to DI intake valve deposits is overblown. My Sportwagen's valves looked great at 75K when I had the media cleaning done and only did it because the intake manifold was off for the water pump.

The chemical cleaning won't touch physical attritioning but clearly did something.

The HPL cleaner...why not. Car has almost 130K and this may help ring deposits along with the LM flush.

I had the same experience on my Tucson 1.6 turbo DI . After the treatment went down the road and it knocked and smoked and carried on. Thought for sure I damaged the engine. But cleared up quickly and ran nice and all was good.

I have to agree on the 'bulletproof' quote ...mine has been a great little car and very fun to drive. My only complaints (and I think I had this converstion with you once before) is the interior styling could have been more user friendly....there is no flat spot to put your phone (too many curves)....the coffee cup holder is too far rearward....the radio controls are overdone etc....but the driving dynamics are great and so is the handling. Have you ever changed your gearbox oil? I did at 25K using Volvo fluid that met Ford's approval (Volvo used the same MTX-75 in some of their vehicles so they have a fluid that was cheaper than Ford's own).....

I have to agree ...mine has been a great little car and very fun to drive. My only complaints (and I think I had this converstion with you once before) is the interior styling could have been more user friendly....there is no flat spot to put your phone....the coffee cup holder is too far rearward....the radio controls are overdone etc....but the driving dynamics are great and so is the handling. Have you ever changed your gearbox oil? I did at 25K using Volvo fluid that met Ford's approval (Volvo used the MTX-75 in some of their vehicles so they have a fluid that was cheaper than Ford's own).
Yes did the manual gearbox oil with the Ford DCT fluid that supercedes the older call for the 75W90 oil. His trans shifts amazing with it.

Picked up some 18" wheels off a ST for some performance tires. It's tuned by Tom/Focus Power. Koni Sport dampers and Eibach springs. Bigger rear sway bar.

20230703_095439.jpg

I have to agree on the 'bulletproof' quote ...mine has been a great little car and very fun to drive. My only complaints (and I think I had this converstion with you once before) is the interior styling could have been more user friendly....there is no flat spot to put your phone (too many curves)....the coffee cup holder is too far rearward....the radio controls are overdone etc....but the driving dynamics are great and so is the handling. Have you ever changed your gearbox oil? I did at 25K using Volvo fluid that met Ford's approval (Volvo used the MTX-75 in some of their vehicles so they have a fluid that was cheaper than Ford's own).
I for sure thought I blew it.

Back