Genesis G90 3.3T - CRC GDI IVD Intake Valve & Turbo Cleaner

2019 Genesis G90 AWD 3.3T

Performed the intake valve cleaning procedure today using CRC GDI IVD Intake Valve & Turbo Cleaner. I used the STP Intake Valve Cleaner about 14k ago, my review is here. The CRC went in via the brake boost line on the manifold, the STP went in via the throttle body.

For the CRC, I followed the write-up here; very helpful video, thanks. The procedure is easy and takes about 15 minutes. I would recommend revving the motor to 2-3k RPM's while firing short bursts of the product into the manifold via the brake booster vacuum intake.

I let it sit for an hour per the instructions and then took it for a 45 minute drive in Sport Mode. The engine is noticeably smoother and quieter. Throttle response and acceleration are also improved.

Going forward, I will only use the brake boost intake method, it is quicker and easier. And, only after I used the STP via the throttle body did I notice a sensor downstream between the manifold. So, that sensor was soaked in cleaner; I didn't experience any issues, but probably not a good idea.

Take a look at the air hose that goes into the turbo charger from the air cleaner and see if the end of the hose that connects to the turbo is disintegrating and let me know what you find. I just worked on my OL's 2016 Sonata 2.0t and the end of the hose was completely crumbled and the hose was shifted over about 1/2 was across the turbo inlet. The car was making a whoosing sound but only when the driver accelerated. No codes set and there were NO other problems. I'm not sure what caused it but it looks like the heat from the turbo just simply destroyed the plastic. The rest of the hose is fine, only the very end of it where it clamped to the turbo was damaged. At first I didn't even realize that about 5/8" of the end of the hose was missing. I only realized it when I started to put the hose back onto the turbo and found the clamp was still attached to the turbo and there was a ring of crumbled plastic under it. I've read other complaints about the 2.0t engines making a whoosing sound but no one ever found what the cause was so I don't know how common this is or if it affects any of the other engines. But I suspect that this might be one of the causes of so many of the destroyed 2.0t Theta engines and turbos.

We only have about 40,000 miles on the car but the Hyundai stealership Holler Hyundai in Winter Park, Florida refused to honor the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty that we paid for so we took the car home and I found and fixed the problem myself. First they tried to charge my wife almost $600 to fix this one problem (and another $1600+ more for other completely non-existant problems!!) and then they tried to charge her an additional $229 "Diagnostic Fee" even though we had taken the car in for other work (replaced starter), that was under warranty. I bought a new hose from Ebay for about $120 and it took me all of about five minutes to replace the hose (a total of five hose clamps involved and nothing else).

In turbo cars because of the heat, I normally replace all the hoses closer to the turbo very 5-8 years. Silicone hoses last a lot more.

We only have about 40,000 miles on the car but the Hyundai stealership Holler Hyundai in Winter Park, Florida refused to honor the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty that we paid for so we took the car home and I found and fixed the problem myself. First they tried to charge my wife almost $600 to fix this one problem (and another $1600+ more for other completely non-existent problems!!) and then they tried to charge her an additional $229 "Diagnostic Fee" even though we had taken the car in for other work (replaced starter), that was under warranty. I bought a new hose from Ebay for about $120 and it took me all of about five minutes to replace the hose (a total of five hose clamps involved and nothing else).
Sounds like a 'dealership' who really earns the name 'stealership'.
Can you imagine how much uneeded work is done by dealers and unscrupulous repair shops every day in America. I'm sure they really go to town on woman in particular.

2019 Genesis G90 AWD 3.3T

Performed the intake valve cleaning procedure today using CRC GDI IVD Intake Valve & Turbo Cleaner. I used the STP Intake Valve Cleaner about 14k ago, my review is here. The CRC went in via the brake boost line on the manifold, the STP went in via the throttle body.

For the CRC, I followed the write-up here; very helpful video, thanks. The procedure is easy and takes about 15 minutes. I would recommend revving the motor to 2-3k RPM's while firing short bursts of the product into the manifold via the brake booster vacuum intake.

I let it sit for an hour per the instructions and then took it for a 45 minute drive in Sport Mode. The engine is noticeably smoother and quieter. Throttle response and acceleration are also improved.

Going forward, I will only use the brake boost intake method, it is quicker and easier. And, only after I used the STP via the throttle body did I notice a sensor downstream between the manifold. So, that sensor was soaked in cleaner; I didn't experience any issues, but probably not a good idea.
Gravy: I used the STP product on my GDI Focus @50K miles and definitely felt an improvement. I read your write up on it and agree that it’s easy to use because of the ‘continuous flow’ application device. Unfortunately it became very expensive....$50....and even at the current ‘Clearance’ price of $33 at AZ it’s still a lot more than it’s competitors.

Gravy: I used the STP product on my GDI Focus @50K miles and definitely felt an improvement. I read your write up on it and agree that it’s easy to use because of the ‘continuous flow’ application device. Unfortunately it became very expensive....$50....and even at the current ‘Clearance’ price of $33 at AZ it’s still a lot more than it’s competitors.
Yep the STP is expensive, obviously the packaging contributes to the high price. I bought the CRC for about $13 on sale. The CRC isn't as easy to use, but I think it works better than the STP. The CRC product blasts out of the straw in a dense, powerful spray that extends about 3 feet. When injecting via the brake boost, you can move the straw forward/backward to ensure that the spray is evenly distributed. I'm coming up on my 20k interval and will use the CRC again.

Reactions: pbm
Back