Vortec 5.3L V8 SFI in a 2007 Chevrolet pickup? Is the engine reliable?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
I came across a 2007 Chevrolet full size pickup, 220k miles with a Vortec 5.3L V8 SFI.

Seeing if anyone has any thoughts on the Vortec 5.3L V8 SFI engine with 220k miles? I know nothing about GM V8 since the 1990s. I have read on BITOG to avoid some GM V8s in pickups because of automatic cylinder shutoff.

Depends if it is early 07 or late 07 old bodystyle reliable. New bodystyle not so much.
My last full size GM truck was a 1991 K2500 (which I bought new).

Here is a picture of the 2007. I am not sure if a old style or new style body.

resizer.jpg

The 2007 is the first year of AFM lifters.The 2007-2010 model year MAY be trouble prone. Any thing manufactured after late 2011 is a much safer bet.

The pictured truck is new style. The engine difference is the addition of cylinder shutdown feature that does not help reliability.
It's very possible that by 220k, AFM has either been deleted or deactivated. Without AFM these engines will generally outlast the chassis they are set on assuming its had oil changes and doesn't have the heads prone to cracking, although I believe they had that sorted out by 07

It's very possible that by 220k, AFM has either been deleted or deactivated. Without AFM these engines will generally outlast the chassis they are set on assuming its had oil changes and doesn't have the heads prone to cracking, although I believe they had that sorted out by 07
Deactivation is of marginal help if the old hardware is still there. If the lifters have been replaced-then yes. I have owned three with AFM. However-I haven't keep the past two more than 60,000 miles because of the AFM issue. Currently have 45,000 miles on my 2018 SIlverado w/no issues.

I believe those 07’s had some oil consumption issues in a specific cylinder? Cylinder 7? And of course the displacement on demand was in its infancy stages in 07. I’d pass.

Reactions: CKN
I've owned a few. Also had a Yukon from the same timeframe. Drove one up to 160k or so miles. Another went 140k. Never had any engine problems. The AFM was always annoying, though. I could always tell when it would go into V4 mode at low speeds.

I'm not a fan of the 4L60 trans. I've killed many in my lifetime.

I'm sure the dash is cracked. They all do it. Also check for an oil leak at the rear main/rear of oil pan area. I think I remember something about that. It's the first year of the new body style, so most people would try to stay away from it.

I don't see a problem with getting that truck, as long as you go in expecting to do some kind of repair at some point. It does have 220k miles, after all. A 4L60 or a 5.3 is cheap. The newer LT engines, 8 speed and 10 speed transmissions are not cheap.

Now, if the price of the truck is stupid, I'd walk.

Reactions: GON
All I can offer is anecdotal evidence. I'm around a few of these vehicles.

I've a 2008 Tahoe, 100k miles with zero engine issues.

In the family, 2009, 2011, 2012 Silverados, all 100-200k miles. Zero engine issues.

I work for a department that has approximately 15 2007-2014 Tahoes in fleet service. Mine has 195k on it. Zero engine issues.

While AFM issues are possible, it's my opinion that they're far from common.

For whatever that's all worth.

Last edited:
Its funny because I have 220K on my Chevy 3/4 ton and I'm starting to wonder if I will need a transmission re-build at some point. I would think you should budget to have the tranny re-built or use the money to buy a lower mileage truck. :coffee:

All I can offer is anecdotal evidence. I'm around a few of these vehicles.

I've a 2008 Tahoe, 100k miles with zero engine issues.

In the family, 2009, 2011, 2012 Silverados, all 100-200k miles. Zero engine issues.

I work for a department that has approximately 15 2007-2014 Tahoes in fleet service. Mine has 195k on it. Zero engine issues.

While AFM issues are possible, it's my opinion that they're far from common.

For whatever that's all worth.
Your post is accurate-but you stack the odds better if you buy a truck manufactured in late 2011 on.

From what I've read, the general consensus is that the newer you go, the worse it gets.

People thought that the early ones were problematic, but as time has marched on, the rate of failure may have gone up?

:🤷: I don't know. I haven't had problems with any of them.

My son in law drove a 2007 Avalanche he absolutely loved for many years with that engine. No engine problems whatsoever (save one oil pressure sensor) until about 180k at which point it completely grenaded without warning. He was very good about maintenance as well. There's my completely anecdotal study of 1 example. 😜

99 -o6 are byfar the best years due to no AFM. my neighbors 04 has 285k and runs like a top. the key is to service the 4l60 trans every 50k at least. these do not tolerate dirty fluid well .

99 -o6 are byfar the best years due to no AFM. my neighbors 04 has 285k and runs like a top. the key is to service the 4l60 trans every 50k at least. these do not tolerate dirty fluid well .
10-4. You've got that right. Replace with Dexron VI as well.

Last edited:
Back