Visited Mercedes-Benz first ever North American charging hub.

Since it is close to me I figured I would swing on through even so I didn't need a charge (59% on arrival). Nice little spot if you happen to be traversing GA400 or the northern part of loop I-285 in Atlanta, located in Sandy Springs Georgia at MB's North American HQ campus. Cost is .50/KWH - not all stations in Georgia have yet converted to per/KWH so not entirely sure how it compares, EVGo has converted and when I charged it would have cost me .49/KWH at EVGo so the Mercedes prices are pretty competitive especially for the amenities. Trash cans at every stall, one pull through station for vehicles towing, restrooms and the lounge with vending and coffee. Vending machine prices are Mercedes expensive ($3.50 for a can of La Croix sparkling water).

The station shows as 400KW, not sure if that halves if someone plugged into the neighboring port but still even if it did it would still be higher than most BEV's on the road. Since I was such high SOC I was pulling ~55KW - I'm sure it would max out at ID.4 speed (~150KW) if I rolled in at low SOC. I only stayed long enough to snap a few photos and check out the lounge.

**Funny and annoying note. Lady who drives the Toyota BZ4X was curled up under a blanket with a book, occupying the entire sofa cause she was laid out on it with her shoes on the cushions. I didn't take a picture of the inside because I thought it would be rude since she would be in the photo, thinking back I should have and told her to pound sand if she said anything since she had zero regard for anyone else or caring about dirtying up someone else sofa. She is the type of person that will cause Mercedes to remove the nice things and just throw some hard plastic chairs in there like a tire shop waiting room. Rumor has it she is still there waiting for her BZ4X to get to 100% even so I left the location over an hour ago.

Anyways fun little visit to a nice charging lounge, hopefully as the DCFC charging situation evolves they turn more into setups like this.

IMG_7773.JPG
IMG_7774.JPG

I think these types of charging stations will become more prominent, making the endeavor more enjoyable and worth the EV driver's time if not in a rush.

Only way I buy a EV is when the taco shops get a charger. Now that would be compelling. Why do I want to wait in the dental office while my car charges.

I do agree it looks nice though. Thanks for sharing.

Only way I buy a EV is when the taco shops get a charger. Now that would be compelling. Why do I want to wait in the dental office while my car charges.

I do agree it looks nice though. Thanks for sharing.

LOL. There is a Mexican restaurant about 50 yards away from the Mercedes charger, also one of the Electrify America stations I go to has a Mexican restaurant in the shopping center its located at so it's definitely a thing. The Electrify America with the Mexican place I have to power through my chips and queso appetizer because its typically ~30 mins start to finish to charge, if we sit down to actually eat I have to run out between appetizer and meal to unplug and move my car. Works out quite well for the most part.

The Kettleman, CA Tesla Supercharger, right off 5 halfway between Silicon Valley and LA, used to be a Burger King, I believe.
I hope this helps...

The Kettleman, CA Tesla Supercharger, right off 5 halfway between Silicon Valley and LA, used to be a Burger King, I believe.
I hope this helps...

Fast food is perfect location for fast chargers. Unfortunately most fast chargers are too quick to charge for a full service restaurant unless you want to run out mid-meal to unplug and move but would be timed quite nicely for a fast food or fast casual type places.

Nice, but that looks like a several million in real estate, infrastructure, and ongoing maintenance, for how many charging stations? I guess these will have their place, but seems better to have more chargers just stuck on the sides of existing parking lots?

Nice, but that looks like a several million in real estate, infrastructure, and ongoing maintenance, for how many charging stations? I guess these will have their place, but seems better to have more chargers just stuck on the sides of existing parking lots?

This location can charge 8 cars at same time.

As for the costs, I don't believe gas stations are cheap to pop up or maintain either but they are quite numerous. Can't imagine the costs of making sure your multi-thousand gallon underground tanks holding fuels don't leak and stay in good condition is a cheap proposition.

MB owners are used to waiting until their cars are driveable again j/k.

I totally can't relate. I have never had to wait for my E350 to be driveable.

I suspect that MB figures that this charge station, along with the other 399 charging stations they are going to build in North America, to be a great investment. I also suspect that MB installing charge stations that are up to the MB image, across the country, has more to do with selling EV's than making money off charging.

Reactions: GON
Said it before and I will say it again. They need vacuum cleaners so you can clean your car while waiting.
Do any of these charging hubs have air for the tires? Seems that tire pressure (and size/weight) play a significant role in an EV's range.

This location can charge 8 cars at same time.

As for the costs, I don't believe gas stations are cheap to pop up or maintain either but they are quite numerous. Can't imagine the costs of making sure your multi-thousand gallon underground tanks holding fuels don't leak and stay in good condition is a cheap proposition.
Yeah, I guess at 50 cents a kwh, and at even 200kwh per station they can make some real money there too.... Power might cost them 15 cents per kwh, so they might clear $40/hr per station, so I guess it pencils out to have some luxuries on site...

Yeah, I guess at 50 cents a kwh, and at even 200kwh per station they can make some real money there too.... Power might cost them 15 cents per kwh, so they might clear $40/hr per station, so I guess it pencils out to have some luxuries on site...
I don't think gas stations are making "real money" on fuel either at a reported average of .03 to .07/gallon profit with many losing money on gas sales but making up for their footprint in non-gas sales. Low end of .03/gallon on my old TDI they would make a whopping 30-35 solid cents on a fillup.

Now I am curious what price spread is for what an EV station charges versus cost. Demand charges are hard to calculate so its not as simple as looking at your home power bill and using that as the cost.

I don't think gas stations are making "real money" on fuel either at a reported average of .03 to .07/gallon profit with many losing money on gas sales but making up for their footprint in non-gas sales. Low end of .03/gallon on my old TDI they would make a whopping 30-35 solid cents on a fillup.

Now I am curious what price spread is for what an EV station charges versus cost. Demand charges are hard to calculate so it’s not as simple as looking at your home power bill and using that as the cost.
There is no foot traffic with the mentioned EV stations. What 8 cars every 15 to 30 minutes?
And that would be a good day at a busy time.
With that said, I’m sure Mercedes has it figured out for now. None of this stuff will matter in 10 years.
The place in the OP looks really nice though.

Last edited:

Now I am curious what price spread is for what an EV station charges versus cost. Demand charges are hard to calculate so its not as simple as looking at your home power bill and using that as the cost.
Fountain drinks bring more ROI than fuel …

I don't think gas stations are making "real money" on fuel either at a reported average of .03 to .07/gallon profit with many losing money on gas sales but making up for their footprint in non-gas sales.
The 3 to 7 cents often cited was huge study done years ago and is net margin - ie after associated costs. So while there not making much, they are making something on a high turn commodity. But as mentioned, they make a buck off your fill, and 3 bucks off your soda and hot dog.

Back