Daughters first trip to shop to get Crosstrek inspected

You can only control your own stuff and actions. Pa had them and I wish Az had them, the decrepit junk you see on the roads here is scary. Yes there are lick em & stick em inspection stations but they're not common. The thing is to have a mechanic you trust. In Pa for $20 you get (got) a reasonable safety check of the running gear, exhaust, and 1 front and rear brake checked. Not a bad deal especially for people not on top of their vehicles like all of us here. As for getting ripped off like the OP's daughter, we all have some responsibility to check the reputation of a shop, it's not hard and people aren't shy to give bad reviews. People caught trying to cheat or bribe the inspection should lose the car or their license.

It would be nice if PA annual inspections were still $20. Now that emissions are part of it, they are $60-$100 depending on where you go. And they are still kind of a racket for upselling.

Many shops are at $500/axle for pads and rotors. Don't see where she was taken advantage of-assuming the brake job was needed. Another thread where the OP doesn't know what things cost when you don't DIY.
500.00 an axle? What a rip off!

500.00 an axle? What a rip off!
That's what many shops are charging now. It's not a rip off if you can't DIY and your car needs to stop-much better than an accident and the subsequent lawsuits that sometimes follow.....

In Missouri, $12 for a safety inspection. Re-inspections are free.

In St. Louis, $24 for the emissions inspection.

Just passed both, no issues!

That's what many shops are charging now. It's not a rip off if you can't DIY and your car needs to stop-much better than an accident and the subsequent lawsuits that sometimes follow.....
It is if that doesn't include calipers. The parts aren't much and brakes are one of the easiest things to do.

It would be nice if PA annual inspections were still $20. Now that emissions are part of it, they are $60-$100 depending on where you go. And they are still kind of a racket for upselling.

Glad I don't live in one of those counties that does emissions. Get in and out for $40. One of my cars is elgiable for Antique tags so no more inspections for that one, not like it would pass this year anyways...

It is if that doesn't include calipers. The parts aren't much and brakes are one of the easiest things to do.
Those prices usually do not include calipers. When you have a commercial tire/mechanical shop and all the expenses that includes-Electrical, all insurance, workman's comp, wages, tax guy, proper city and/or state licensees, LEASE, phones, company truck, etc., What DO YOU FEEL IS A REASONABLE PROFIT?

Last edited:
I do not think the Indy shops I have gone to in upstate NY would have charged that much per axle. Daughter wanted it done on a weekend so that limited her choices. The Indy shops would have used better quality parts and done a better job of cleaning & lube.

I do not think the Indy shops I have gone to in upstate NY would have charged that much per axle. Daughter wanted it done on a weekend so that limited her choices. The Indy shops would have used better quality parts and done a better job of cleaning & lube.
So-in other words your daughter didn't shop around and paid the price. I can tell you I'm in a suburb of Salt Lake City and many charge that amount. Clearly-she needs a little life coaching.

Last edited:
So-in other words your daughter didn't shop around and paid the price. I can tell you I'm in a suburb of Salt Lake City and many charge that amount. Clearly-she needs a little life coaching.
She thought she would be paying $50 to $60 for inspection and swapping of snows on the car. The tire shop said the rear brakes needed replacement. Would not pass inspection with the work. And a snow storm was on the way for Sunday.

I encouraged here to get car inspected in Nov when I was still in NY. And get snows swapped before it was about to snow and everyone else wants snows also. She had other priorities.

Is it that cheap to swap snows? Did she buy them there?
Every Indy and chain shop near me is $80-120.

Central NY

Those prices usually do not include calipers. When you have a commercial tire/mechanical shop and all the expenses that includes-Electrical, all insurance, workman's comp, wages, tax guy, proper city and/or state licensees, LEASE, phones, company truck, etc., What DO YOU FEEL IS A REASONABLE PROFIT?
Profit would depend on what it costs. Is 10% reasonable? Is 200% reasonable if you can get it? Is the profit a dealership makes reasonable or private small shops reasonable?

That does suck. I feel for her. Hopefully this will stick with her to plan ahead and only use chain places when absolutely necessary. It is rough to get an appointment anywhere these days though.

I like my small independent shops when I can get into them. Even in the best of times they're too busy to take advantage. They'll fix what's broke or what you ask them to do.

For $20 each year in NY, this is what shops are supposed to do to get you your yearly windshield sticker. Luckily, your busy small shop will only fix what's truly broke or worn out and will not "check condition of your rotor/drum" and fail it because it's got rust on it. https://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/new-york-state-vehicle-safetyemissions-inspection-program

But she is stressed and wanted safe brakes so she went ahead and got the pads & rotors installed.

The "I just want to be safe" mentality is a non-thinking one. We recently sold an airplane that I very recently equipped with lifetime Teflon Stainless fuel and oil lines.

The new owner insisted he wanted new hoses, just to be safe. The shop would install the 5 year, hand made, stratoflex hoses. A huge step down from what I had installed 1.5 years earlier. It took an act of god to convince him that what I had installed was a far better choice.

Back