VINTAGE FRAM TOUGH GUARD 4967 CUT OPEN

Per Honeywell's website, AlliedSignal bought Honeywell in 1999. So if it says "AlliedSignal" on the filter can, then it must be newer than 1999. That date format looks the same as it does now - Edit: but per post #26 below it's coded differently. As far as it not having the "SureGrip" ... 🤷‍♂️

1680035241417.png

Last edited:

Per Honeywell's website, AlliedSignal bought Honeywell in 1999.
Other way around, Honeywell bought Allied Signal in 1999, However like most corporate mergers, the legal merger occurs month or a few years before the operational merger is completed, Allied Signal's branding still appeared on Fram filters through the early 2000s, I think around 2005 or so the packaging was updated to say Honeywell and the Allied Signal branding was dropped from the filters.

Other way around, Honeywell bought Allied Signal in 1999, However like most corporate mergers, the legal merger occurs month or a few years before the operational merger is completed, Allied Signal's branding still appeared on Fram filters through the early 2000s, I think around 2005 or so the packaging was updated to say Honeywell and the Allied Signal branding was dropped from the filters.
Why does Honeywell's website say Allied Signal acquired Honeywell in 1999? If Allied Signal wasn't in the filter manufacturing game until they bought Honeywell, then why does the filter say Allied Signal on it ... was Allied Signal making oil filters too before they bought Honeywell?

1680036778368.jpg

1680037335499.jpg

On this old post we can clearly see that the date codde format was differen I assume that it may have been DDDY instead of YDDD
View attachment 147313
Yeah, the F2657N can't be following the same Fram date code as today since "657" can't be a Julian date.

1680037652140.jpg

Why does Honeywell's website say Allied Signal acquired Honeywell in 1999? If Allied Signal wasn't in the filter manufacturing game until they bought Honeywell, then why does the filter say Allied Signal on it ... was Allied Signal making oil filters too before they bought Honeywell?

View attachment 147314

View attachment 147321
I guess it was the other way around with the Merger, but Allied Signal bought Bendix who owned Fram in the 80s, so Allied Signal owned Fram and Honeywell's name only became attached to Fram after the merger.

This article might explain some better info. Per this article, it sounds like AlliedSignal started using the Honeywell name brand after the acquisition/merger with Honeywell. It's all somewhat confusing trying to find the history of what exactly happened. Maybe AlliedSignal started putting their name on the filters early on, and then changed it to Honeywell as the article indicates (?).

1680039202455.png

1680039034373.png

This article might explain some better info. Per this article, it sounds like AlliedSignal started using the Honeywell name brand after the acquisition/merger with Honeywell. It's all somewhat confusing trying to find the history of what exactly happened. Maybe AlliedSignal started putting their name on the filters early on, and then changed it to Honeywell as the article indicates (?).

View attachment 147327

View attachment 147326
It's sort of a clusterfuck like how SBC acquired several of the other baby-Bells, then bought out the AT&T long-distance/wireless company and then Changed SBC's name to AT&T and in the Same time frame They acquired Bellsouth so Cingular which was originally a venture between Bell South and SBC was merged in with AT&T Wireless and changed their name to AT&T Wireless.

Seems that Allied Signal was making Fram oil filters before the acquisition/merger with Honeywell. After the 1999 acquisition, seems the oil filters then started having the Honeywell name instead of the Allied Signal on the can. Info in post #29 seems to also indicate that.

Also, in 1999 per Fram's website is when the "SureGrip" was invented/patented.

1680043517022.jpg

This thread indicates that one box had copyright date of 1996. Post #7: "The newest box of the bunch and the only one that is under the Allied-Signal name is dated 1996."

Last edited:
Seems that Allied Signal was making Fram oil filters before the acquisition/merger with Honeywell. After the 1999 acquisition, seems the oil filters then started having the Honeywell name instead of the Allied Signal on the can. Info in post #29 seems to also indicate that.

Also, in 1999 per Fram's website is when the "SureGrip" was invented/patented.

View attachment 147343

This thread indicates that the boxes had copyright dates in the 1990s.

View attachment 147345
I know I've seen filters that have came out of early 2000s copyright date boxes that still said Allied Signal, even the photos on the Fram website on the web archive still show Allied signal branding in the early 2000s, The Suregrip coating was introduced on the Extra Gauard in 1999 but I think they still sold Tough Guards without it until around 2001.

I know I've seen filters that have came out of early 2000s copyright date boxes that still said Allied Signal, even the photos on the Fram website on the web archive still show Allied signal branding in the early 2000s, The Suregrip coating was introduced on the Extra Gauard in 1999 but I think they still sold Tough Guards without it until around 2001.
Oil filter chaos since 1999 ... or before. :LOL:

From the Wayback Machine, it looks like only the Extra Gaurd was using the SureGrip when that first came out. Don't know when the other Frams started using the SureGrip. This is a June 2000 snap-shot.

1680045011171.jpg

From the Wayback Machine, it looks like only the Extra Gaurd was using the SureGrip when that first came out. Don't know when the other Frams started using the SureGrip. This is a June 2000 snap-shot.

View attachment 147360
I found later in 2001 the Toughgaurd showed the SureGrip packaging, and when I viewed the page source, the image file was archived August of 2001.

AS bought Honeywell 1999 but then chose to use the Honeywell (instead of AS) name going forward. Using that as reference, one would think by 2002 the Honeywell name would be on the filter, not AS. But definitely AS on the filter in 1992. I would think by 2012 Honeywell rather than AS would be on the filter. So in 'my estimation,' filter either from 92 or 02

Back the vintage TG, kinda neat to the screen over bypass that was quietly eliminated by Rank Group, iirc. Some thought the screen a good thing, others not. Otoh, seeing the inserted pic of the gimmicky "Double Guard" filter, more like Double Trouble. (n)

Back