Victo-Foam gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to make this topic to show you guys this new victo foam gasket i picked up. It's made by victor reinz. This specific one is for my thermostat housing. In the past i've used those regular paper fel-pro gaskets with less than stellar luck. Maybe it was my application method, i have no idea. They worked but i would always notice some seepage in the area. It was small enough that it would evaporate on the manifold but just enough to aggravate me. I replaced my upper hose, lower hose and thermostat, using the foam gasket on the housing. I'll honestly say this is one gasket i have no doubts about. When the housing was torqued to spec, the foam compresses just enough so that you get a positive seal. I'm happy with it, and at $6 it's worth the peace of mind.

Here's some pictures of it. If anyone else has two bolt housings and wants something that works, this is for you. Auto zone was the only place i could find these.

img4349r.jpg

img5232z.jpg

I sure wish i could get VR to custom make some of these in other applications. No more RTV or worrying about anything.

CarQuest should also have this as they sell this brand of gaskets, NAPA used to be Victor buy I'm not sure if they still are.

Nice! Ive always had good luck with V-R. Wonder if they make these foam gaskets for a lot of applications...

Victor Reinz gaskets are well-regarded on at least a couple of car boards I belong to. I've used their diff cover gaskets for Ford 8.8 and they seem to do well.

NAPA did drop them a few years ago...in my area CarQuest carries them now.

I did a quick look on their website and it seems they only make these silicone foam gaskets for water outlets. They do make a water pump gasket from a material called performaseal but i can't find one for my dodge. I do believe i messed mine up last time i did it, there's some seepage under the pump itself from the gasket messing up. Just enough to make it wet. I've been topping the coolant off about once a year, someday i'll get to it. I'm burnout on paper gaskets and rtv, for some reason i always move them or mess them up.

If you want to search for gaskets for your vehicle, this is the site.

http://catalog.mahleclevite.com/lv/search.php

It makes me wonder about compression.
Less bolt head pressure after a while.
For a fraction of the price, a paper gasket with RTV, or RTV alone is great, properly applied.

Would the "right stuff" from permatex be suitable for this thermostat housing? If i was doing this with a regular paper gasket. Maybe i should have tried rtv with the paper on my water pump.

I've always wondered about paper and rtv together. Some say no some say its fine.

Right Stuff is great. Very forgiving and a great seal.
When fresh!
I have had problems with old pressurized cans - it semi hardened inside.

Okay well it seems this new gasket was not a fix all, i looked down on the manifold today and there's coolant seeping out from the bolt heads. Soo again i'll be taking it apart, any suggestions?

Paper with permatex 2b? Paper with the right stuff? Right stuff only? I don't want to do this again.

Ford Grey. That's what I use. Put a skin of it on both sides of a stock gasket. Let it dry. Enjoy it never, ever, leaking.

That sounds like a plan. I did have a paper gasket / rtv combo last time it was assembled, but when i changed the thermostat i thought i would experiment. Bad idea lol.

Oh well i need to lift a valve cover off to inspect a problem, it'll be easier to do while i have everything apart for the thermostat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back