Torque number for 62TE pan bolts using gasket.

I forgot what I used last time. There are numbers all over the place on the internet. FWIW this Dorman pan with drain and WIX gasket hasn't leaked in 45k Miles since install. Most of the numbers I see are using different RTV's. Don't remember if factory pan was RTV or gasket. I'm old and it's been some years. So....any recommendation for this in inch pounds? Thanks.

All 62TE's call for RTV so there isn't an official torque spec for using a gasket. Toyota calls for 62 inch pounds on their gasketed trans pans with M6 fasteners.

I use a short 1/4" ratchet and get the bolts snug. Then I retighten them after a couple heat cycles. Not very scientific, but it's always worked for me.

It's been quite a few years, but my experience attempting to use an inch pound torque wrench on a stout FelPro transmission gasket resulted in failure. What this DIYer learned was that you could torque it up to a uniform number, lets pick 84 inch pounds, the gasket would compress, then somewhat relax, and you could come back and re-torque it numerous times to 84 inch pounds., eventually crushing the gasket out of shape.

Probably the correct way is to torque it up initially to a uniform low torque one time, then if any more tightening is required, do each bolt an equal turn in degrees, i.e., 90 degrees.

Pros, correct me please. I imagine you just do it by feel, as your 40+ hours of weekly auto work results in that.

The WIX gasket is rubber and I keep thinking I torqued it the last time @105 inch pounds which is a number you see a lot with the RTV spec. 62 inch pounds seems light but what do I know?

Back